Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna Get Away Sold out 5 months out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Wanna Get Away Sold out 5 months out?

On 5/31 the rest of the year opened up. I noticed some flights are already sold out. Closer to the date will Wanna Get Away fares return?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
5 months from now is Christmas (ie peak demand). I would bet WGA is gone and not coming back. I know I already booked Thanksgiving and Christmas at 7am eastern on 5/31 (WGA was sold out within 12 hours on those flights after I booked). I helped my coworkers book their Christmas travel and WGA is sold out on those flights too now.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is always a chance if WN really can't sell the seats. But, given that the economy is on screech and it's the holidays, there is a greater chance that flights will sell out entirely.

People wait up to book those things when they know they have to travel and WN knows it.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by pgh234
5 months from now is Christmas (ie peak demand).
5 months from now is November 3rd.
Jaimito Cartero and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by DoctorK
Technically - correct.

But - since the OP did not give any specifics - hard for anyone to help out.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by DoctorK
The OP was looking to book for the "rest of the year". Nov 5th to Jan 6th just opened. I think it is a fair assumption that the OP was looking for a deal on peak holiday travel. If not, they should wait until some off-peak fall fare sales are offered in a month or two.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by pgh234
The OP was looking to book for the "rest of the year". Nov 5th to Jan 6th just opened. I think it is a fair assumption that the OP was looking for a deal on peak holiday travel. If not, they should wait until some off-peak fall fare sales are offered in a month or two.
The post says "some flights"... which ones? Any particular destination? When? It matters immensely. It's impossible to answer without that.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I was looking to book the week before Turkey Day, returning Sunday (before Turkey day)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LV702
I was looking to book the week before Turkey Day, returning Sunday (before Turkey day)
Where to?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by wrp96

Where to?
Where from?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

DAL > FLL Nov 8/9 to 18/19
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:26 am

I have found over the last few years that prices start out high then tend to decline often to extremely low prices. Whether Southwest is putting an abnormally low number of seats in the WGA bucket I can't tell, but it is possible that they will release more seats later. What I've done for the last few years is book these flights on points then watch to look for signs of price drop.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For FLL purposes, that weekend you are looking to return is usually one of the biggest, if not the absolute biggest, in numbers of cruise passengers sailing in and our of Port Everglades and Port of Miami for the year, with the weekend before being only slightly less (because this is when all the ships return to south Florida for the winter from Europe and Alaska). I know on cruise boards, just like here, there are people specifically watching for Southwest to open booking and I can guarantee for that specific time period lots of people booked as soon as bookings open.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:40 pm

My MSP/FLL WGA fare for the day after Thanksgiving has increased by nearly 25% in price since it went on sale Thursday.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I found the same thing as OP. These seats were never made available under WGA fares because they are peak day travel to peak destinations. They did not "sell out" in a matter of minutes (absurd)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.