Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Unveils Newest Onboard Product: iHeartRadio

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...ct-iheartradio
Old May 18, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Nice.

I listen to my local radio station on my phone via the iHeart app when I am traveling. I used to carry my portable XM radio for music but it was necessary to secure a window seat of the south side of the plane, an additional complication.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Good decision. I had felt music was missing from the on-board offering.

Rasheed
Old May 22, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I used to carry my portable XM radio
This worked well enough to make it something you'd regularly do? Huh. Every now and then I'll use GPS Test Plus on my phone just for S'n'Gs to see how fast we're going and it takes quite a while to get Sat Lock (even when connected to the WiFi, to let the AGPS help with getting the ephemeral data).
Old May 22, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
This worked well enough to make it something you'd regularly do? Huh. Every now and then I'll use GPS Test Plus on my phone just for S'n'Gs to see how fast we're going and it takes quite a while to get Sat Lock (even when connected to the WiFi, to let the AGPS help with getting the ephemeral data).
It worked good on East-West routes. North-south was not as good. It was before any on board entertainment and was nice on cross country routes. The only down side is the notoriously bad battery life of the portable XM radios. 2.5 hours was the limit. All of that sat connection pay a toll on battery.

I used to have a Street Maps USA program on my laptop. One upgrade came with a cheap USB GPS antenna. I would load the program while working on the plane and set the antenna near the window. It showed position, speed and altitude. Someone once reported me to the FA as they thought it was suspicious to monitor ground position while in the air. To them it was something a terrorist would do.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I used to have a Street Maps USA program on my laptop. One upgrade came with a cheap USB GPS antenna. I would load the program while working on the plane and set the antenna near the window. It showed position, speed and altitude. Someone once reported me to the FA as they thought it was suspicious to monitor ground position while in the air. To them it was something a terrorist would do.
I bought the same from CompUSA in 1995 with the big yellow GPS and did the same! Used it for years in the air and in the car with a laptop and inverter for long road trips with wires everywhere. Often just for the science & novelty of it before GPS units came along.

Airtran with the onboard satellite in the arm rests (Sirius?) was awesome until WN turned it off post merger.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
That's great, now I can listen to Russ on 97.1 if I am in the air during afternoon talk
Old May 23, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...I used to have a Street Maps USA program on my laptop. One upgrade came with a cheap USB GPS antenna. I would load the program while working on the plane and set the antenna near the window. It showed position, speed and altitude. Someone once reported me to the FA as they thought it was suspicious to monitor ground position while in the air. To them it was something a terrorist would do.
I really got a good laugh out of that, and almost a good cry on how crazy some people are when it comes to "supposed safety".

Some of this things we do in this country to make illogical backward thinking people think it is making them safer. Sad.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by john398
That's great, now I can listen to Russ on 97.1 if I am in the air during afternoon talk
No, you can't. It is not all of iHeart with a few selected stations and several genre channels. I thought the same and was disappointed with the selection. Better than nothing though.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:32 pm

Can't you listen to your standard iHeart subscription via WiFi on your device? (... at least for us A-Listers where it's free?)
Old May 28, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Can't you listen to your standard iHeart subscription via WiFi on your device? (... at least for us A-Listers where it's free?)
Yes, but I am no longer A-list. I explored the offerings with my phone as the device and used bluetooth to connect to my hearing aids. It might be my set up or my hearing loss, but I could not get the volume high enough, particularly for music.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Nice! I was hoping they will installed USB port for iPhone, iPad and a few other things, as well.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Nice! I was hoping they will installed USB port for iPhone, iPad and a few other things, as well.
I just don't think there's a case for these- even the elderly know about power packs and have movies/games on their phones and tablets nowadays; for a short-haul, limited-service carrier like WN I really can't see a justification for USB ports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.