Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Moving segment credit to the next year by booking a year-end straddling Round Trip?

Moving segment credit to the next year by booking a year-end straddling Round Trip?

Old May 30, 18, 3:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
FYI- An RT booking posts the points shortly after the RT has completed. If you fly the second part after the 1st, that's when all the points will come through.
...also a clever way to carry points into the next year if you're good at straddling round trips from 1 year to the next.
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Points and credit not awarded until the itinerary is completely flown.
This is a great strategy (booking round trips that straddle 12/31) to push points into the new year when you don't need them for the current year.
In the upcoming anniversary sale I plan to book some Fall round trips completing in early January. Or I could book a return in 2018 and later change the return to 2019. Then in January I plan to cancel the returns and let the credit drop into 2019. I will look at my trip count, make sure it will reach 100, then use this technique to cause the excess flights to post in 2019.

Can anyone report on whether trip count for the new year will include the prior year segments of round trips completed (or the return canceled) in the new year?
Old May 30, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sorry, can't help, haven't done that in several years now and didn't pay attention to the segment count as I was primarily interested in pushing the TQP forward to qualify for AL+ that way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: