Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUV vouchers for 7 people (combining)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Talking UPDATE: LUV vouchers for 7 people (combining)

Our family recently got 7 LUV vouchers (one for each of us). I have read the posts on combining LUV vouchers (booking a flight, then cancelling within 24 hours).

We want to travel as a family again this fall. Say I could end up with one source of travel funds by "combining" these vouchers... those funds would be in one person's name (mine). Would I be able to book tickets for seven travelers with those funds (one reservation)? I see that travel funds must be used for the previously ticketed traveler, but does that mean that only that person can be on the reservation?

Because of the 24 hour check-in, I really dread the thought of more than 2 reservations for our family. Last time we had three and that was difficult to check in and get good boarding positions.

Thanks for any help.

I was in the process of making the first of two reservations for our family (4 and 3 passengers) and at checkout, I read that you can have up to three payment methods PER PASSENGER! I booked all seven of us on one reservation using all 7 vouchers!!!

Last edited by MamaFish; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:48 pm

Do you have LUV vouchers or Travel Funds? You use both terms and they are different. LUV vouchers can be used for anyone, Travel Funds are tied to the name of an individual.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:50 pm

Once you "combine" the luv vouchers, they become travel funds, travel funds can only be reserved in the original passenger. So the plan that you have listed above would only cover your travel and not anyone else's. Regarding the check in, you could purchase early bird, or using 2 vouchers and CC per person (assuming the flight is more than vouchers) you would reduce the amount of vouchers to 3 check in's then booking 4 people on 1 reservation reduce the amount of check ins.

Last edited by figment7; Apr 10, 2018 at 12:52 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Do you have LUV vouchers or Travel Funds? You use both terms and they are different. LUV vouchers can be used for anyone, Travel Funds are tied to the name of an individual.
I have LUV vouchers, but I was thinking of "combining" them by purchasing tickets and cancelling.

Originally Posted by figment7
Once you "combine" the luv vouchers, they become travel funds, travel funds can only be reserved in the original passenger. So the plan that you have listed above would only cover your travel and not anyone else's. Regarding the check in, you could purchase early bird, or using 2 vouchers and CC per person (assuming the flight is more than vouchers) you would reduce the amount of vouchers to 3 check in's then booking 4 people on 1 reservation reduce the amount of check ins.
Okay, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming it and the advice!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would always make a separate reservation for each passenger and each direction of travel. If you book it all together and you have to cancel one or more person or trip the funds re-use will give you a headache. One record locator will have funds for multiple passengers in possibly different amounts. Southwest's web pages will not make this internal division obvious. I prefer separate record locators for separate funds.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

Be careful! When you apply travel funds to a new reservation, all funds on the reservation (including any new money) take on the oldest expiration date of any travel funds applied. Meaning the new flights(s) will have an expiration that's less than one year, possibly much less.

Last edited by h8teralert; Apr 12, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by h8teralert
Be careful! When you apply travel funds to a new reservation, all funds on the reservation (including any new money) take on the oldest expiration date of any travel funds applied. Meaning the new flights(s) will have an expiration that's less than one year, possibly much less.
I think you mean earliest expiration date? That is all funds are expired ar the date the oldest TTF expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.