Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,

My companion pass will expire next year and I am trying to figure out if worth it for me and what strategy to follow since I am under 5/24 chase rule.

I did 7 national flights and 2 international (Tampa-la Havana and Jamaica)

I value this saving around 2000 dollars. I spent almost 800 dollars and a lot of work in getting this companion pass.

Could you please post how you used your companion pass last year?

How did you get your passs? Alternative strategies?

If you don’t mind post your experiences like that,

Flights: 9

Saving: 2000$

Companion got: welcome bonus plus buying Starwood points plus sw credit card spending

Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:23 am

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?
NextTrip and Boraxo like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:39 am

We got our last few via hotel transfers, which are no longer a method for getting a CP. We haven't yet decided if we'll get another, especially now that they're futzing with the CC terms. It was bad enough just dealing with 5/24, I really don't know what to expect by the end of the year.
​​​​​​
We got, by the most generous value, about $1600 in value last year and look to get another ~$1200 this year. A more conservative figure would be about ~$2000, because technically we could have taken some of those trips on ULCCs for less than half of what I paid for WN tickets, and a few flights were unnecessary and only made so I could get A-List via a challenge. I value us being able to sit together, often with an empty middle, pretty highly, and the free bags was valuable to bring some stuff eastward during a move. The lack of change fees definitely has definitely suited us well, too. No regrets about earning the CP last time, it's just hard to decide if we want to go out of our way to earn it next year.

We now fortunately live very close to FLL, and are an easy trip to MIA, so we have some extra options we haven't had in quite awhile. With CP, WN pretty much always prices out lower than the legacies, but it's hit or miss with the ULCCs, especially if I didn't book early. Spirit's big front seats are also quite a nice splurge for us - ends up costing right about the same as the legacies but with a much better seat. Not being able to book and cancel on a whim has always been difficult for us, but we'll have a much more set schedule in the future and we might be able to make it work.

Anyway, yes, it was definitely worth it - I think we got fair value out of the transfer for just the points, and the CP was just all gravy. Whether it will be something we chase for next year depends on how well we are able to use it this year. We'll see as time wears on if it is something we find more valuable than being able to churn constantly with other cards.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by synergistic
We got, by the most generous value, about $1600 in value last year and look to get another ~$1200 this year. A more conservative figure would be about ~$2000, because technically we could have taken some of those trips on ULCCs for less than half of what I paid for WN tickets, and a few flights were unnecessary and only made so I could get A-List via a challenge.
Could you give me more info about the a-list challenge, I am platinum in delta and American. Thank you for all your info!

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 21, 2018 at 11:36 pm Reason: Readability
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:48 am

They seem to offer it a couple of times a year, as a targeted promotion - I don't think it's something you can request, except through some employer programs. It's always worth a call to the CR folks - not the normal phone line - because they have some magic powers that the regular reps do not.
​​​​​​
For me, it was six flights to get A-List for the calendar year, and ten to get it for an additional year. We took a couple completely unnecessary flights and split some other trips up into silly leg by leg flights. Without the challenge I don't believe we'd have paid a single dollar to WN, it would have been all points travel and $5.60 fees. If one of us is offered the challenge early next year, it'd make it easier to commit to getting the CP again. We'd likely do it via Rocketmiles or Southwesthotels.com, which would cost us some actual cash.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:45 pm

We got our CP for $168 ( annual fees) and used it for 6 CP flights per year, not sure on the price in $$ but our average flight is 20K points. Since we received 120K points for signing up we received 18 free flights over 2 years for the price of CP.

We started getting CP in 2014 and have yet to pay a a Wn flight in $$
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
We got our CP for $168 ( annual fees) and used it for 6 CP flights per year, not sure on the price in $$ but our average flight is 20K points. Since we received 120K points for signing up we received 18 free flights over 2 years for the price of CP.

We started getting CP in 2014 and have yet to pay a a Wn flight in $$
Awesome value!!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Two kids in college. All tuition and expenses paid on card. Very easy to obtain. We use it often to go to Florida.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:48 am

We get our companion pass through a combination of credit card spend (3 kids in college, plus all bills on the card until we get companion pass) and my husband's travel. The points are always used for tickets for our children to come back and forth from school - we always buy his ticket to get the points toward A List and Companion. This is our third year of having it, and I find it well worth it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm an outlier for sure. Earned it the hard way every year since 2002. Rarely had the energy or motivation to climb back on the plane with all the business travel. Maximum use was 4 times with 4 different people in 2012. Stopped traveling for business so got one with the last Marriott travel package last year and still have yet to use it - a baby arrived.

It really depends on your life's circumstances.
LegalTender likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I'm an outlier for sure. Earned it the hard way every year since 2002. Rarely had the energy or motivation to climb back on the plane with all the business travel. Maximum use was 4 times with 4 different people in 2012. Stop traveling for business so got one with the last Marriott travel package last year and still have yet to use it - a baby arrived.

It really depends on your life's circumstances.
Since 2002!!!!!!!!!! How much profit do you calculate you got?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by honores41
Since 2002!!!!!!!!!! How much profit do you calculate you got?
Hard to call it profit or really put a figure on it. If I was close, in the old days, I'd breakup connecting flights into separate legs for more credits and/or put more money on the WN CC in lieu of other more lucrative cards.

But for all that effort, there would be years I wouldn't use once or just once for an otherwise cheap summer RT fare to Disney. Currently it may go to waste for the final 2 years of travel package qualification.

Got to admit its a huge dangling carrot and can be very lucrative for those in a position to use it frequently. I apparently was not.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

I cannot wait until Hawaii flights start!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I really do not understand the Original Question at all.

The CP is worth zero to some people, a few hundred bucks to others, and thousands to some. NONE OF THAT MATTERS to other anyone else.

What is it worth to you? What would it cost if you did not have it?

How did you spent $800 to get the current pass? Pretty much everyone I know did not spend a penny to get the pass (other than to put normal spend on the card)

I could tell you that I made 8 flights to xxx city and 6 to xxx city. If you have no reason to fly to those cities, why does it matter?

Only YOU can tell us what is worth to you.
JohnMI and joshua362 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, WN CP, AS MVP75
Originally Posted by honores41
My companion pass will expire next year and I am trying to figure out if worth it for me and what strategy to follow since I am under 5/24 chase rule.

I did 7 national flights and 2 international (Tampa-la Havana and Jamaica)

I value this saving around 2000 dollars. I spent almost 800 dollars and a lot of work in getting this companion pass.

Could you please post how you used your companion pass last year?

How did you get your passs? Alternative strategies?

If you don’t mind post your experiences like that,

Flights: 9

Saving: 2000$

Companion got: welcome bonus plus buying Starwood points plus sw credit card spending
I also earned the pass the past 3 years just on flying and no card bonuses. Haven't used it this year yet, but taking 10 trips within the US and one to Costa Rica. Average cost of the flight between $250 and $300 but I generally used points for all of my flights. Have not used it this year yet but have 2 trips plan for later.

I agree with one of the earlier posters - the value of the pass is different for everyone. It's a nice to have, but I don't go out of my way to try to earn one. I fly enough that if I did it all on Southwest, I would have it by August, but my flight decisions for work are based on when/where I need to be someplace and when I can get home. If Southwest is the best choice then it's my choice, if not I go with another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.