Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by honores41
I cannot wait until Hawaii flights start!
Haha. I wish it would happen in 2018 so I can use the pass, but now I'm not so sure.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Way over 5/24, so earned on spend. Having the pass pays for itself, but just barely. My spouse isn’t as enthusiastic about travel as I am

I’m figuring the direct cost for the pass as my cost (or opportunity cost) to manufacture the spend, less the Southwest points earned.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We will be at 16 "free" flights by the end of this month, so pretty good for us this year. Family stuff has caused many extra trips.

Some of those flights were under $100. Some were closer to $250. So, dollar value is all over the place.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There is no way I would spend $110k to earn a pass as I could prob get 130k chase points with similar spend on my JPM card. That translates into a TATL or TPAC biz class ticket worth $3k-10k depending on how you value it.

So far in 5 months my CP has saved $300+ with another $560 reserved thru Sept. These are flights we would take anyway but shifting biz from UA (where I get more perks) to WN so it’s a win for WN too esp when family of 4 flies.

As I qualified on January it is really a 2-yr pass. if I get $1k value per year I would be very happy. Would certainly fly WN more but we still fly United where it makes more sense (eg SFO-SJD RT for < WN fare plus free F upgrades for 4). Would prob give up F if WN fares were more competitive for my flights.

Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
So, my figures are not exact, but over the the last 9 years I have probably used our companion pass on about 400 flights or so. Using an average ticket price of $150.00, cost savings with companion pass is roughly $60,000 over that period of time. (I also currently have just under $5k worth of flights reserved for the rest of the year on CP flights).

In my opinion, the companion pass is the best deal in domestic US (and now Caribbean travel) if you are a DINK who likes to disappear on weekends as much as possible.

Of course, if you have a family and can only travel for leisure a few times a year, you would likely find a better value in other travel currencies (SPG, Amex or UR).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I will be leaving DINK'hood any day now and just earned my first CP last week. We focused on DL for mistake airfares, VDB vouchers, and points for the past 8 years and have traveled all around the world in first class for free. (Where WN does not go)

Now with a kid on the way, we do not imagine we will be going, for example, to the Philippines or Turkey on the weekend anyone. The CP will still keep us and the little one mobile domestically.
guera likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
There is no way I would spend $110k to earn a pass as I could prob get 130k chase points with similar spend on my JPM card. That translates into a TATL or TPAC biz class ticket worth $3k-10k depending on how you value it.
In addition to the pass, you are getting 110k WN points worth possibly over $2000.

And you can spend as little as $55k to get it (unlikely, of course).
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't calculate my CP value in dollars. Instead I do it by "personal subjective value". Last year my wife joined me on more than 20 trips. If I didn't have the CP, she would have joined me on maybe 5. So I can't say that I saved the cost of 15 trips because she never would have taken them if they weren't free. My personal value of having her along with me was very high, far higher (to me) than a business class ticket would be. My favorite benefit to the CP is that I don't have to decide every trip whether it's worth investing points or dollars for my wife to come along. Not having to make that decision is worth a lot to me, and it's hard to put a dollar value on that.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

In addition to the pass, you are getting 110k WN points worth possibly over $2000.

And you can spend as little as $55k to get it (unlikely, of course).
Actually, our spend was more like $5,000? to get the bonus on two cards. And it was spend we would have done anyways.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We will be at 16 "free" flights by the end of this month, so pretty good for us this year. Family stuff has caused many extra trips.

Some of those flights were under $100. Some were closer to $250. So, dollar value is all over the place.
Even if some of the cash prices are low, using CP 16 times by midyear is fantastic! Due to health issues and busy-ness at work my companion and I have only managed 5 CP flights this year.

BTW, my companion and I are DINKs. What the -NK part gives us in ability to travel frequently for leisure the DI- part takes away!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:20 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
We had the opportunity to obtain the CP this past year and we determined that even with the essentially BOGO flights, we would spend more to only fly Southwest than if we considered American, Delta and United. Southwest is rarely the cheapest or most convenient option out of Atlanta (they really screwed over the FL loyalists). That being said it is a very unique product and its cool that people have gotten good use out of it and to be honest I envy them. Question: is there anybody in Atlanta who has the CP and gets a good value out of it?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:40 am

In ATL and wife flies free with me 20+ times a year. I travel for work frequently, she can work from a hotel room, I pack a full mobile office for her in a checked hardside suitcase for free (19" monitor, full keyboard, etc). When I book thru Concur Southwest is usually the cheapest option.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
We got our CP for $168 ( annual fees) and used it for 6 CP flights per year, not sure on the price in $$ but our average flight is 20K points. Since we received 120K points for signing up we received 18 free flights over 2 years for the price of CP.

We started getting CP in 2014 and have yet to pay a a Wn flight in $$
​​​​​​​Hmm. 18 free flights at 20k per flight is 360k RR points, where did you get the other 240k from? Annual spend?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ferric
Hmm. 18 free flights at 20k per flight is 360k RR points, where did you get the other 240k from? Annual spend?

Paid for 9 flights ( CP adds the other 9) so a total of 18 R/T tickets = about 180K WN points

My $$ numbers were off a bit as I forgot to include the AF on the other cards we got to earn WN points

I used to get all 3 WN cards, plus INK and CSP. That was about 250K WN points every 2 years. Now I can only get one WN personal but there is a new INK card.

I get the same cards for my wife ( we switch on and off to get CP and other Chase cards............one goes card free for ~ 2 years) and I also get cards for my dad who does not travel but I use his points

As of now we have 3 R/T's booked ( 6 R/T flights using CP ) on WN and about 500K WN points in the bank...............plus millions more miles spread across AA, UA, AS, DL

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 19, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Each year I have CP, I end up using it for about 8-10 total R/T's. So maybe $3k per year I have it. I usually change companions a couple times per year, typically start/end most years with my wife as my companion.

But my route was a Marriott Travel Package, approximately once every two years. As of 12/31/18, I'm out of CP. Our 2019 travels are almost all international, so I might jump back into some Chase signup bonuses in January 2020. Seems like a long way off so who really knows...

My regular WN paid travel is at the low-end of basic A-list. I'd need a credit card to get back to CP for sure.

I will be highly interested to see if Southwest leaves the rules exactly as they are today for the use of CP to Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.