Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CP issue: Chase issued WN points in wrong year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:53 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott

hi everyone,

Mu dad was working on hitting his spend requirement for the SWA cards in order to get the companion pass early in January. He had a charge that was for $300 and then refunded, both in November statement. He assumed since the charge was reversed that it did not count towards the spend requirements, however chase did in fact count them and credited his December statement with the bonus because of that. Now he is unable to get the companion pass with the credit card points because he first 60Kbposted in December. Has anyone had this happen? Shouldn’t those $300 in charges not count since there was an offset that same month? He’s reached out to Chase about this as he obviously wants the points all counted in 2018. Anyone ever experienced this before?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
hi everyone,

Mu dad was working on hitting his spend requirement for the SWA cards in order to get the companion pass early in January. He had a charge that was for $300 and then refunded, both in November statement. He assumed since the charge was reversed that it did not count towards the spend requirements, however chase did in fact count them and credited his December statement with the bonus because of that. Now he is unable to get the companion pass with the credit card points because he first 60Kbposted in December. Has anyone had this happen? Shouldn’t those $300 in charges not count since there was an offset that same month? He’s reached out to Chase about this as he obviously wants the points all counted in 2018. Anyone ever experienced this before?
It happens to people all the time. There is absolutely nothing Chase or Southwest can do to correct the problem. Why people don't research this before hand is something I'll never understand.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:56 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It happens to people all the time. There is absolutely nothing Chase or Southwest can do to correct the problem. Why people don't research this before hand is something I'll never understand.
Yeah I get that... but even the chase representative said that the spend should not have been over the threshold due to the refund. Of course they are forwarding it to their marketing department to see what they can do. I hope they are able to somehow get this fixed for him.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:13 pm

Yeah I get that... but even the chase representative said that the spend should not have been over the threshold due to the refund. Of course they are forwarding it to their marketing department to see what they can do. I hope they are able to somehow get this fixed for him.
Gotta take everything reps say with a grain of salt ... but hindsight is 20/20.

Tell your dad to continue to call and plead his case ... maybe even write a letter or two.

Keep us posted.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Chase does not claw back points if a charge is reversed. It's been that way for quite awhile. His only recourse is to call and plead. He will get the CP for 2018 though.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This exact scenario is new to me, unless he crossed the threshold during November then crossed back below it when the refund posted, with both occurring very close to the statement date. If that happened then the threshold detection could have triggered in November but still too late to post on the November statement.

Because there are so many ways this can go wrong and because Chase is unable and Southwest is unwilling to correct early posting of the bonus, we harp on delaying spending until January 1 to be safe. But this advice is rarely taken: FT'ers love to stride confidently up to the line. Every new year brings several of these sad stories. My condolences.
CodeAdam10 and bbbb like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Chase does not claw back points if a charge is reversed. It's been that way for quite awhile. His only recourse is to call and plead. He will get the CP for 2018 though.

I read it as only one 60K bonus posted in 2018

hi everyone,

The chances of a reversal are slim to none so let's move on and see if we can fix this.

For the sake of continuity what card ( Personal Premier, Personal Plus ) did he have the 60K post on in 2017 ?

Did he apply for other 60K personal in late Sept/October and if so what card was it ( premier/plus) and will those points post in 2018 ?

What is his 5/24 score as of today ? If it's at or above 5/24 when does he drop to 4/24 ?

From once we have those answers we may be able to still get him CP for part of 2018 and all of 2019.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:16 am
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512

I read it as only one 60K bonus posted in 2018

The chances of a reversal are slim to none so let's move on and see if we can fix this.

For the sake of continuity what card ( Personal Premier, Personal Plus ) did he have the 60K post on in 2017 ?

Did he apply for other 60K personal in late Sept/October and if so what card was it ( premier/plus) and will those points post in 2018 ?

What is his 5/24 score as of today ? If it's at or above 5/24 when does he drop to 4/24 ?

From once we have those answers we may be able to still get him CP for part of 2018 and all of 2019.
he had both the premier plus and business. IApplied for both in early October. I believe that he went over in the business card since the spend was $3K. We both had the same churn idea and have both gotten the companion pass via this method before. Years ago of course. He’s just bummed since this pushed him over by $30 and assumed he was okay due to the reversal and refund. He was on course to hot both cards spend onJanuary 4th... I hope and pray that he can get it honored somehow, but if not I guess we learned something.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:40 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Friend told me that his 2018-19 CP was botched because of a *charge reversal* in 2017. He mistakenly made a PayPal payment with his RR Visa. He says that payment was *not* enough to cause him to hit the spend requirement, but when he realized the mistake he asked PayPal to switch the payment to a different card. PayPal credited the RR Visa and charged the other card. Friend says Chase then counted the *credit* to his card the same as *spending* activity (per phone call to a CSR), and therefore *the credit* triggered the bonus points for that card to hit in 2017. He had one business and one personal account, so in his case the fix was obtain a second personal card, though that was a costly fix.

ETA: by two personal cards, I mean one Plus and one Premier.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jan 16, 2018 at 1:42 am Reason: as noted
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ftnoob
He had one business and one personal account, so in his case the fix was obtain a second personal card, though that was a costly fix.
Costly for Chase maybe. Sounds like a good deal to me. Extra points is a good thing, especially when you have the companion pass. Fortunately your friend was in a position where he could get another card to rectify the situation. Not everybody would be able to do that.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just a warning to others - avoid getting even close in Nov/Dec. Just not worth it. Way too easy to screw it up.

sorry to OP.
CodeAdam10 and flyer4512 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:05 pm

he had both the premier plus and business. IApplied for both in early October. I believe that he went over in the business card since the spend was $3K. We both had the same churn idea and have both gotten the companion pass via this method before. Years ago of course. He’s just bummed since this pushed him over by $30 and assumed he was okay due to the reversal and refund. He was on course to hot both cards spend onJanuary 4th... I hope and pray that he can get it honored somehow, but if not I guess we learned something.
From your reply it seems you applied him for a personal card and a bussiness card..............I'm not sure what this means though."he had both the premier plus and business". To me that sounds like 3 cards but you said both so it may mean 2 cards as there is no "premier plus", it's one or the other

Assuming you got him just 2 cards, Is he under 5/24 ? Will 60K post in 2018 from one of the cards he already has ? If so just get the 2nd personal card for another 50K
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:08 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

From your reply it seems you applied him for a personal card and a bussiness card..............I'm not sure what this means though."he had both the premier plus and business". To me that sounds like 3 cards but you said both so it may mean 2 cards as there is no "premier plus", it's one or the other

Assuming you got him just 2 cards, Is he under 5/24 ? Will 60K post in 2018 from one of the cards he already has ? If so just get the 2nd personal card for another 50K
Oops, sorry yes just the Premier card. Yes it 60K will post in 2018.... I'm not sure if he is under the 5/24 rule or not. He is a pretty constant churner so it's possible that he is not. I'll ask him. Hes still waiting to hear back from Chase, so we'll see what they say.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:27 pm

Oops, sorry yes just the Premier card. Yes it 60K will post in 2018.... I'm not sure if he is under the 5/24 rule or not. He is a pretty constant churner so it's possible that he is not. I'll ask him. Hes still waiting to hear back from Chase, so we'll see what they say.
Since he just got 2 cards it's safe to say a "constant churner" will not be under 5/24 but we may have different definitions of what that means

I consider myself a constant churner and get about 12 - 15 cards per year
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:52 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Since he just got 2 cards it's safe to say a "constant churner" will not be under 5/24 but we may have different definitions of what that means

I consider myself a constant churner and get about 12 - 15 cards per year
haha yes we definitely have different opinions. He's more in the 4-5 per year range. Although with AMEX it's a bit more difficult since it's once in a lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.