Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
I can't go into it. Can you please make a copy the news article and posts it here. Thanks.
Posting copyrighted material (including entire news articles) is against FT rules.

Executive summary of the article:
  • Initial flights will be from California airports.
  • Gary Kelly said that inter-island service "has been down our priority list, but we will have serious consideration of that."
  • If they don't initially have inter-island flights, they might add them later.
  • Red-eye flights aren't being seriously considered, although they may add them later.
  • The union threat (see toomanybooks's post for details) doesn't matter because the planned flights to Hawai'i do not violate the collective bargaining agreement.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
As others have noted, WN is very "hubby" these days in LAS, and that plus the Hawaii connection with LAS makes LAS-HNL pretty common sense to me.
LAS-OGG seems like a no-brainer for Southwest. HA isn’t going to do that with a wide-body.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jiburi
So, is it Hawaii that will change Southwest's Red Eye Flight culture? For people from East Coast, you would have to fly red-eye or overnight at a city for their return to East Coast from Hawaii. Currently Southwest have no transcon red-eyes.

As for logistics, I don't believe Southwest has Rafts, flotation seats, nor refrigeration or oven on any of its aircrafts (except ice)...... In order to serve fresh or cooked food, refrigeration or oven is needed.....

and probably need more lavatory than two....

Jiburi
Literally every single SW flight I've ever been on has noted that the seat bottom can be used for flotation, along with a life vest under the seat. As others have noted, SW has a number of aircraft with rafts.

Why do you think SW is some rag-tag airline that doesn't even have floating seat cushions when they already make a number of flights over water?? In addition, if they're flying from LAX or other locations, who gives a crap about a warm meal?? I'd honestly rather bring my own food than eat the crap they call food on Delta.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ursine1
Well, you're going to be waiting. A year at least, possibly longer.
Right. Please be patient. It will take a while.

Originally Posted by garykung
See here:

Southwest Airlines grounds 128 planes over missed inspections

WN to ground 737-700 fleet

Unfortunately, this was only the latest occurrence. WN has a history not to do this properly.
Now I remember that. I remember what happened years ago. They didn't have a safety inspections the entire aircraft. That's big problems.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:12 pm

Interesting read about island hopping flights:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hopping-routes
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers

The article seems poorly put together. It seems to shift between talking about the inter island market and the west coast-Hawaii market.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:43 pm

I wonder if the current administration's stance with North Korea, and potential escalation, will cause a hit to Hawaii tourism in 2018? Southwest's timing in this market could sadly be as bad as it was with Cuba, and for essentially the same reason.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers

Absolutely! They would like to fly over inter island flight. They can fly from HNL-OGG/KOA/LIH or ITO.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
One less competitor on inter-island service with Island Air announcing they are ceasing ops tomorrow.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Absolutely! They would like to fly over inter island flight. They can fly from HNL-OGG/KOA/LIH or ITO.
How do you know they can???

It sounds like haven't been reading this thread thoroughly. There have been technical problems with other airlines trying island-hopping back-and-forth with full-size planes before. Southwest can't solve technical problems just by wishing them away!

One theory is that Southwest can only do island hopping with their current planes as add-on flights, but not using dedicated planes based in Hawaii. Ie, OAK-OGG-HNL, HNL-KOA-SMF, etc.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuckworth
One less competitor on inter-island service with Island Air announcing they are ceasing ops tomorrow.
Uh-oh! They will be cease operations tomorrow. They won't be happy.

I think it is time to bring WN into Hawaii as begin early next year.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How do you know they can???

It sounds like haven't been reading this thread thoroughly. There have been technical problems with other airlines trying island-hopping back-and-forth with full-size planes before. Southwest can't solve technical problems just by wishing them away!

One theory is that Southwest can only do island hopping with their current planes as add-on flights, but not using dedicated planes based in Hawaii. Ie, OAK-OGG-HNL, HNL-KOA-SMF, etc.
I am pretty sure about that. They can do that. They will fly inter-islands flight with ETOPS overwater certified. They won't have any problems. As long if they have enough competition against Hawaiian Air. Hawaiian who have more than 32 daily flight HNL-OGG. They always full everyday. There's no seat available. If they have more than 15 or 16 daily RT from HNL-OGG/KOA/ITO/LIH. That's lot of competitive.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
There seems to a lot of discussion about OAK and BUR as primary California airports to to HI, but little about SJC as a viable option. LAS totally makes sense so I'm not questioning that one.

HA rolls a couple HI flights a day out of SJC (as do others, possibly AS). WN has expanded at least 1 (if not 2) more gates there with SJC adding what looks like 5-6 more gates from Terminal B. WN has SJC<->BWI flights daily so I'm really curious what the group think is about practically dismissing SJC in this discussion?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:25 am
azj

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
LAS-OGG seems like a no-brainer for Southwest. HA isn’t going to do that with a wide-body.
It's been flown in the past on the 767. I wouldn't be shocked if it returned on the 321neo.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Wingrider
WN has SJC<->BWI flights daily so I'm really curious what the group think is about practically dismissing SJC in this discussion?
For WN, OAK is a hub-equivalent base (9th busiest systemwide) and SJC is a focus city.

Resource-wide, WN has 9x more employees at OAK than SJC. Even the numbers of WN gates at OAK are doubled compared to SJC.

Basically - SJC is almost a certain no for Hawaii service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.