Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booted after given Standby seat

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dsokolik
...I then boarded, stowed luggage, fastened seatbelt and was thankful that i'd get home at a decent hour...
And another $100 for "unstowing" all the luggage, but unfastening the seatbelt?!?!? Not sure there's a number for that
Old May 9, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List Preferred, DL Gold, AA Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by HomerJay
THIS. I would have demanded a pre-board or early bird. No way should you be stuck with a middle seat.
As an A-list preferred, I boarded after all the rest of the A group....still 40 spots back from my original position, but at least not in a middle seat.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

I actually thought about that for a brief moment while it was happening. On a legacy airline, they know where you are sitting...on SW they have no clue. What were they going to do if I didn't identify myself? Start checking ID's of every passenger on board?
Yes, and I've seen them do this before on multiple occasions. Not sure if it was to deplane a standby or some other count screwup. It takes a loooong time.
One time it took so long the pilot told the gate agents to get off the plane and figure it out after we left.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pinniped
In fact, I've had the other experience of running up to the gate 1 minute prior to departure as they're closing the door. I ask if I can get on, and they say "we've already given your seat away". They don't go down the jetbridge and get my seat back from someone else, even if that person was originally a standby. It's no fun being on that side of the equation, but most FTers have had it happen to them at one point or another. I assume I lost my seat at the exact instant the standby passenger was issued it.
This is why I think it was a miscount.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by pinniped
My $0.02: it's when they've issued me a BP on the new flight. I assume that's also the point in time when my seat on the later flight is released. They issue the BP, I scan it at the gate, and I'm a passenger only on that flight. As far as I know, there isn't a point after boarding the flight where I'm still in the system as a passenger on both the earlier and later flights. If this actually isn't true...if I'm only a "provisional" passenger on Flight 1 and confirmed passenger on Flight 2 until the door closes or brake is released or something else, I'd love to know that.

In fact, I've had the other experience of running up to the gate 1 minute prior to departure as they're closing the door. I ask if I can get on, and they say "we've already given your seat away". They don't go down the jetbridge and get my seat back from someone else, even if that person was originally a standby. It's no fun being on that side of the equation, but most FTers have had it happen to them at one point or another. I assume I lost my seat at the exact instant the standby passenger was issued it.
The flight isn't closed until after the door is closed, which is why standbys can be removed after boarding. Same for volunteers -- if none are needed during the boarding process, but then someone does show up before the door is closed, if you had volunteered, you would be asked to deplane.

The Dr Dao situation does not apply to every single person who possesses a boarding pass and is seated on the plane with the door open. @:-)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the response from all the SW apologists on here, but you are all missing the point. I fly SW enough to earn a-list preferred so I certainly understand how they operate. In this case, they provided lackluster service and should be held accountable. My primary concern isn't about the amount of compensation (if $100 is reasonable, so be it) but rather their actions in the first place.

It's not ok to allow passengers to board and then take their seat away at the last minute. It's even worse to not be apologetic and provide no explanation at the gate. When people are accepting of airline behavior like that, they'll continue providing service like that.
Most people who have flown enough to achieve A-list preferred status know what "standby" means. Now you know too.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the response from all the SW apologists on here, but you are all missing the point. I fly SW enough to earn a-list preferred so I certainly understand how they operate. In this case, they provided lackluster service and should be held accountable. My primary concern isn't about the amount of compensation (if $100 is reasonable, so be it) but rather their actions in the first place.

It's not ok to allow passengers to board and then take their seat away at the last minute. It's even worse to not be apologetic and provide no explanation at the gate. When people are accepting of airline behavior like that, they'll continue providing service like that.
And yet you accepted it. And accepting it was what got you home the same day. Morning After Regret motivated you to write them, but $100 extra from them still didn't make you happy. The question for you now is "What, other than having everyone in this thread agree with you 100%, will make you happy?" Because I don't see you getting everyone in this thread to agree with you 100%.

Last edited by Grog; May 9, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 9:11 pm

I fly SW enough to earn a-list preferred so I certainly understand how they operate.
Clearly, you don't. Your OP and subsequent posts demonstrate that without question.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You're still standby until you're in the air.

Now, if they'd tried to remove you AFTER lift off . . . .
Old May 10, 2017, 7:15 am

The definition of an apologist is "a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial" which you, and others, clearly are. If you refuse to see the poor customer service demonstrated by giving someone a boarding pass and putting them on a flight only to make them deplane later...then you are incredibly accepting of mediocrity.
So anytime there's a lawsuit in front of a judge, does that mean the defendants are the apologists? Or the prosecutors?

I don't think anyone's questioning the customer service aspect. We're telling you how it is.

On the flip side, if you showed up 15 minutes before your flight and they tell you the seat has been given away, you would be ecstatic at the great customer service when they went on the plane and opened up a seat for you.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The flight isn't closed until after the door is closed, which is why standbys can be removed after boarding. Same for volunteers -- if none are needed during the boarding process, but then someone does show up before the door is closed, if you had volunteered, you would be asked to deplane.
If this is true, and "flight closed" is the real determining factor in whether a passenger is confirmed on a flight, then Southwest incorrectly removed the OP from the later flight too early. His A20 BP on that flight should only have been dropped *after* the door closed on the earlier flight, with him on it.

However, I'm not convinced that "flight closed" is the most important determining factor here.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
So if I'm reading some posts correctly...by definition a standby cannot be IDB'd. What if the situation reversed? An earlier flight cancelled and passengers dispersed to later flights some as standbys. They make it on the flight then booted because of some unstated reason I would certainly consider that an IDB.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Really an odd set of circumstance here. Miscount? OP had a seat. He took someone else's seat that just happened to be in the bathroom? LGA geographic position wouldn't exactly known as a huge connecting or thru station. W&B issue on a full flight? No. Something does not add up...

Given a BP, deleting his confirmed BP for the next flight, he now has a confirm seat on a plane. Doesn't this seem like IDB to anyone? What if it was full fare and not standby and the later was simply swapped for the earlier fight, is that not IDB too?
Old May 10, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
So if I'm reading some posts correctly...by definition a standby cannot be IDB'd. What if the situation reversed? An earlier flight cancelled and passengers dispersed to later flights some as standbys. They make it on the flight then booted because of some unstated reason I would certainly consider that an IDB.
The passengers from a cancelled flight who are re-booked to a later flight that has seats available have a confirmed reservation. They would be eligible for IDB just like anyone else (though hopefully lower on the totem pole since they were on a previously cancelled flight).

Originally Posted by joshua362
Really an odd set of circumstance here. Miscount? OP had a seat. He took someone else's seat that just happened to be in the bathroom? LGA geographic position wouldn't exactly known as a huge connecting or thru station. W&B issue on a full flight? No. Something does not add up...

Given a BP, deleting his confirmed BP for the next flight, he now has a confirm seat on a plane. Doesn't this seem like IDB to anyone? What if it was full fare and not standby and the later was simply swapped for the earlier fight, is that not IDB too?
If it was full fare and the change is confirmed, then yes, IDB would be applicable. But OP said this was a same-day standby perk of A+.

----------

on a general note:

One way to ensure this doesn't happen is to make ALL the standbys wait until everyone else with confirmed reservations boards the plane, and it's no earlier than ten minutes prior to departure, and there is no chance that someone from a late inbound connection is running for the gate. This virtually *guarantees* you a middle seat. The flight would have to be pretty empty for you to have an aisle or window seat when you're literally the last one to board.

Personally, I would much rather be given a high priority BP on standby for a flight that appears to have enough available seats in exchange for the very very very small chance that it doesn't work out.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm talking about when cancelled passengers are moved to later flights as standbys. But may not be confirmed until next day.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they're still standbys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.