Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking individual legs on OW flight is much cheaper than booking it all as one res

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking individual legs on OW flight is much cheaper than booking it all as one res

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Help - Booking legs individually on this one way flight is a lot less (points) than booking it straight through as a single res.

Booking as one flight:
SJU-OKC, May 20 2:35pm-10:15pm 55,100pts (layover in HOB)

Booking legs individually:
SJU-HOB, May 20 2:35pm-6:35pm 21,138pts
HOB-OKC, May 20 8:55pm-10:15pm 10,242pts
Total 31,380pts

We are checking bags, so I'm not sure I can book them as individual flights.

Is this a common issue? Can we book the legs individually like this without having to recheck bags in Houston?

Any advice? I searched but only found one thread discussing this, but it was from 4 years ago.

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
You are doing what is known as forcing a fare break. What happens if you search for it using the multi-city search? Sometimes that will allow you to force a fare break and still book it all on one ticket.

If you book it as two separate tickets (a) you may have trouble checking bags and (b) if the schedule changes in such a way that it is no longer a through flight-- doubtful given that the travel is not far out-- you may have issues getting rebooked. However, on points you can always cancel and rebook if the lower price becomes available for the through flight.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:33 am

Checking your flights for some reason the are no WGA fares SJU-OKC but there are WGA fares on both legs, not sure why that happened.

Try booking is as a "custom itinerary" using the multi city option. It looks like that will work.

Most of the time you can check bags through on that kind of itinerary, but you probably need to tell the person at the ticket counter.

The only other option would be to call and see if you can book it over the phone.

Good luck.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
HOU. . .
Old May 2, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Book it this way and tell them at check in you want it send to OKC. Should not be a problem.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thank you for the responses.

Yes, HOU, sorry about that.

So I will book it as Multi City flight and tell them at SJU to check backs through to OKC.

This flight (SJU to OKC) is actually the return flight (after vacation). So I will have to cancel that original entire RT res, then rebook OKC to SJU as one-way, then book SJU to OKC using the method above.

Let me know if this does not sound right. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.