Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"We are unable to secure the price for the flight you selected."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We are unable to secure the price for the flight you selected."

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I had three distinct issues with this today, all three on cash bookings, where the advertised price was not available once I attempted to book it. These were for reservations made under the old system.

I called, and the customer service rep tried to fix it, and then spent some time with the IT Help desk, but told me that those fares were no longer available. She was convinced that there was a reasonable explanation for it... multiple people attempting to reserve those fare classes at the same time.

I'm convinced that it's a bug in the system and they're not interested in solving it because it will go away once all of the old reservations are flown.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:27 am

Getting this a lot today...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Had the same thing happened to me this morning. However each time I got the error the price went up, so it went up from $140 - $160 - $199 - $249 in about 5 minutes. Crazy!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:10 pm

i GOT IT 16 TIMES OUT OF 56

I've been refaring around 50 flights booked through the end of the year. I got the error a large number of times today and yesterday. I was able to get one to go through on an second attempt today. It's definitely a bug in the system and seems to be getting worse.

Yesterday I went through my usual routine of refaring our flights I got the message on 16 out of 56 flights.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 22, 2017 at 12:55 pm Reason: aDDITIONAL iNFORMATION
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Got this today trying to refare a points booking. Second attempt didn't help. Went to create a new booking and after a long wait got something like "Oops, we were unable to contact your financial institution, please try again." Second attempt was successful...but the points balance on the account looked crazy low. I checked the activity details and, sure enough, the points were deducted twice the "Redeem" line saying "- -" for the PNR in each case. I cancelled the original booking, then looked at the upcoming itineraries page and see that two new PNRs are listed. I've been trying for five or ten minutes to cancel one of those, and get either an "unable to retrieve from database" oopsie, or a "we are unable to complete your request because the reservation is unticketed" oopsie. Brilliant, SWA.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Got this today trying to refare a points booking. Second attempt didn't help. Went to create a new booking and after a long wait got something like "Oops, we were unable to contact your financial institution, please try again." Second attempt was successful...but the points balance on the account looked crazy low. I checked the activity details and, sure enough, the points were deducted twice the "Redeem" line saying "- -" for the PNR in each case. I cancelled the original booking, then looked at the upcoming itineraries page and see that two new PNRs are listed. I've been trying for five or ten minutes to cancel one of those, and get either an "unable to retrieve from database" oopsie, or a "we are unable to complete your request because the reservation is unticketed" oopsie. Brilliant, SWA.
I just got the exact same thing. I should have known not to click Submit again. Points were deducted twice but I only see one upcoming reservation for the flight. Sent an email in requesting a correction
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I just got the exact same thing. I should have known not to click Submit again. Points were deducted twice but I only see one upcoming reservation for the flight. Sent an email in requesting a correction
Update: got a much quicker response on Twitter:

Southwest Airlines
Thanks for reaching out, Tim!

We are currently experiencing issues with our booking system right now. I am actually experiencing the same issues. I see where you were charged twice. Technically, the reservation under confirmation number XXXXXX is all good to go, but I will have to locate that second reservation. I will keep tabs on your reservation and you Rapid Rewards account and will make sure that the second points redemption of 3,670 points gets put back in your account. You'll just have to bear with me until we regain access to our system. I'll be sure to circle back with you and let you know when I'm able to get those points refunded.

Thanks so much for your patience.

-Maddie ^MA
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:59 pm

I had to call them last night and their system was mostly down. I made a reservation at 6 PM or so and it showed up after 9 AM this morning. The women on the phone told me to call today to straighten things out (issue with voucher being used) and I'm waiting for them now.

I wonder if it's related to the ransomware attack or if they've just been glitchy for a while.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Please send emails to customer service documenting this.

I've had the problem with 4 flights this morning. I previously contacted customer service detailing the problem with 3 flights... they couldn't replicate the problem on two of them, but issued me TTFs on one of them. They also issued a $100 LUV Voucher.

The company line is that this happens when flights are in shopping carts -- the lowest price still shows, even if it's in someone's shopping cart somewhere waiting for purchase. However, I'm convinced that it's an IT glitch.

If enough people contact them about it, it's possible they may try to resolve it.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
The company line is that this happens when flights are in shopping carts -- the lowest price still shows, even if it's in someone's shopping cart somewhere waiting for purchase. However, I'm convinced that it's an IT glitch.

That is demonstrably incorrect. I have had the same glitch on the same flight persist for days yet when I call in the phone agent can obtain the lower price and doesn't see a problem on their end. Once the phone agent works on it the glitch seems to go away, but I haven't tried to re-fare any of those flights yet.

I emailed them with a list of about 12 flights and 16 PNRs with this problem (out of 56 reservations I was checking for lower fares). The email response I got back was non responsive, basically saying they were sorry I couldn't book the flight and there was nothing they could do even though I sent them a list of the flights affected and specifically told them I was reporting a problem with their website. I called customer relations and told them there was an issue with their system and the answer to my email I was non responsive.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Marriott Hyatt
Here is a copy of an email I sent today:

For over a week now, I have been trying to book flights at 12,444 rewards each on this flight. It shows availability and then when I get to the last page, I get an error message. It is beyond frustrating at this point as it has happened more than 20 times on two different computers and using my phone's app. I read online it is happening to others as well.

Here is the message:
One or more of the seats you are attempting to book is no longer available at the air fare you selected. If you are attempting to book a multi-Passenger reservation, consider searching for flights and fares one passenger at a time. (SW900001-GhVD6XWoQwSPv3MMEn9I4w)
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by stlrod
Here is a copy of an email I sent today:

For over a week now, I have been trying to book flights at 12,444 rewards each on this flight. It shows availability and then when I get to the last page, I get an error message. It is beyond frustrating at this point as it has happened more than 20 times on two different computers and using my phone's app. I read online it is happening to others as well.

Here is the message:
One or more of the seats you are attempting to book is no longer available at the air fare you selected. If you are attempting to book a multi-Passenger reservation, consider searching for flights and fares one passenger at a time. (SW900001-GhVD6XWoQwSPv3MMEn9I4w)
My suggestion is to not email customer support. They are not able to help with this situation.

The first time this happened, I emailed them a very detailed description of what I was seeing, and how often I was seeing it, and that it was happening of a span of several days. I received a standard 'canned response', I emailed them back because they clearly did not bother to read and understand my email. I then received a phone call from the rep, who tried, again, to give me a standard 'canned' response. I asked for an email address I could use to send screenshots of what I was seeing. I sent the screenshots, along with timestamps, and they still insisted that I was wrong.

So, I called reservations, described what was happening, and they were able to help me changed 4 reservations in less than 6 minutes.

Since that original instance I have called reservations 4 times now, and never have any issue getting assistance with this, and they help get me credit (either travel funds, or RR points credited back to my account).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That is demonstrably incorrect. I have had the same glitch on the same flight persist for days yet when I call in the phone agent can obtain the lower price and doesn't see a problem on their end. Once the phone agent works on it the glitch seems to go away, but I haven't tried to re-fare any of those flights yet.

I emailed them with a list of about 12 flights and 16 PNRs with this problem (out of 56 reservations I was checking for lower fares). The email response I got back was non responsive, basically saying they were sorry I couldn't book the flight and there was nothing they could do even though I sent them a list of the flights affected and specifically told them I was reporting a problem with their website. I called customer relations and told them there was an issue with their system and the answer to my email I was non responsive.
My suggestion is to bypass Customer Relations and go directly to a Reservations Agent. The few I have spoken to are aware of the issue and will assist you.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

For this specific issue, Reservations reps may be able to help, or they may not be familiar with the issue and you'll send hours on hold. It really depends on the rep you get... so the "hang up and call back" suggestion is a good one here.

In my experience, Customer Relations are the only people empowered to actually fix many issues.

Right now, Twitter is the best route for quick resolution.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
For this specific issue, Reservations reps may be able to help, or they may not be familiar with the issue and you'll send hours on hold. It really depends on the rep you get... so the "hang up and call back" suggestion is a good one here.

In my experience, Customer Relations are the only people empowered to actually fix many issues.

Right now, Twitter is the best route for quick resolution.
While of course everyone has different experiences, Twitter most definitely did not work for me with this issue. They said that I could not duplicate it, even though I was sending them screenshots as I was DMing them.

Similarly with Customer Relations. They both told me that they cannot duplicate the issue.

I just may be lucky, but the Reservation Agents I've all worked with have immediately understood the issue and worked to resolve it, while I have completely struck out with anyone else that I have contacted in Customer Relations, either by phone, email or Twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.