Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Travel Ticket Change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Business Travel Ticket Change

I have a business trip that my company is paying for but I want to change it and add a short before coming back. Basically, Instead of A->B->A, I want to do A->B->C->A. A=work-city, B=business-trip-city, C=leisure-travel-city. Instead of explaining everything to my manager and admin people to confuse them I thought that I can book A->B->A on southwest and call southwest to change the return leg and pay the extra amount myself. Do you forsee any problems with this plan? Are there other airlines that I can do similar with?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted - answered the wrong question.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by mohammadmoghimi
I have a business trip that my company is paying for but I want to change it and add a short before coming back. Basically, Instead of A->B->A, I want to do A->B->C->A. A=work-city, B=business-trip-city, C=leisure-travel-city. Instead of explaining everything to my manager and admin people to confuse them I thought that I can book A->B->A on southwest and call southwest to change the return leg and pay the extra amount myself. Do you forsee any problems with this plan? Are there other airlines that I can do similar with?
Other airlines will cost you a lot of money. There is no problem that I foresee here, other than the issue of doing something that your management doesn't know about. I see no ethical issues. Others may disagree.

edit: the problem is that Southwest will want to charge the changes to the same form of payment as the original reservation. I'm not sure how to get around that.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Book A-B-A ticket.

Cancel A-B-A ticket, but do not refund to original card. Refund to voucher.

Use funds from A-B-A ticket to book A-B-C-A ticket and pay difference with personal card.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: none
Assuming your company doesn't care, Southwest certainly doesn't mind if you book more flights to your itinerary because flying people is the reason they're in business. It's a simple process to change.

No one who responds on FT will have the slightest idea of what your company thinks of the plan.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Book A-B-A ticket.

Cancel A-B-A ticket, but do not refund to original card. Refund to voucher.

Use funds from A-B-A ticket to book A-B-C-A ticket and pay difference with personal card.
This.

The company is charged exactly what it was going to cost to get the trip done. Now there's no arguing and and allocation whether the C>A leg home is more or less than B>A leg home.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Be aware that the company will be notified by email of the cancellation.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
It might depend on how the ticket was purchased. My former company's travel agent used swabiz and it seemed that changes had to be made via swabiz also.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Our travel booking tool is called "egencia".

Wait! there is no hiding. I'm going to get a few days off after my business travel and my manager knows I'm traveling afterward. I just don't want to open up the situation with the payment because travel booking is done through "egencia" they don't want to deal with things like this I guess.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by djk7
It might depend on how the ticket was purchased. My former company's travel agent used swabiz and it seemed that changes had to be made via swabiz also.
Changes, yes.

Outright cancellation and reuse of the funds with the PNR, no, I could do whatever I wanted to with them "on the outside".

At least that's the way it was for me using the Concur>SWABiz interface.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all a matter of corporate travel policy and corporate culture. So, nobody here can answer your question because this has nothing to do with WN and everything to do with your employer.

Just because a ticket exchange is a wash doesn't mean your employer won't care.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
How does the cost of them booking you A>B>C compare to A>B>A? If it's less than A>B>A, have them book that for you and pay for C>A yourself. If they can save $ they might be willing to work with you.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
All depends on how the ticket is booked and biled.

SWABiz...no, can't change

Your company travel portal...all depends on how it is paid for and billed. If it is prepaid, you should be able to manipulate it like any other ticket. If it is a billing contract, would probably need to go though the corp travel office.

That is whey we use neither...have a small firm but we move 8-10 people all the time...but we just book direct on company CC then if any of the employees wanna change their trip, as long as they are in and out when we originally booked them they are free to add or change all the legs they want on their dime...and quite often they will.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
Your company should have a travel policy. Read if they do and see what it says. I worked for a large consulting firm, and if I wanted to book A->B->C instead of A->B->A, as long as the cost was the same or less, I could do it. Then it was on me to pay the C->A leg myself or if I was flying back to the same location, they paid for that and the leg B->A.

If not, it's up to you. Ask your boss and see what he says.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.