Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denver and Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Denver and Southwest

Denver breaks the 200 mark with Southwest daily flights -- going to be 209 in June.

Denver get a second weekly flight to Belize.

Denver gets directly flights to Norfolk and Pensacola

Tampa has expanded from two flights to three per day;
Milwaukee will jump from three daily flights to four;
Atlanta will increase from four flights per day to five;
Sacramento will increase from four daily flights to five; and,
Kansas City will bump from six flights per day to seven.

Here is the article

Southwest Airlines will launch record number of flights from Denver in June

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...f-flights.html
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Funny how it took 4 different verbs to describe the single increment from one number to the next!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Denver loves Southwest. One-third of the airport is entirely SW. Not many airlines make Denver one of their main hubs. We were hoping for United or American to choose Denver for more nonstop flights. It was wise of SW to see the value in adding flights from Denver. We used to watch the SW commercials years ago, and we knew of no flights from Denver back then. Suddenly, SW appeared at DEN.

Now Denver flies SW more than any other airline, even more than Frontier, Denver's supposed own airline. Frontier's nickel and diming business model is the opposite of what consumers want. Do you want to use an overhead bin? Oh, that will be $20. Oversized luggage? Oh, that is an upcharge. My stepsister paid more for her luggage Den-Atlanta than she paid for her ticket. I was sad for her because she is a single mom and flew to Denver to see her dad. She rarely flies because she doesn't like it.

We now need SW to fly to Hawaii. Denver has one airline, United, that has an occasional non-stop to Maui. I would love SW to fly us directly to Maui. I wish they would get planes with first class seats to Hawaii, but they probably won't. If they did, I would be first in line for those seats.

The Norfolk flight is something I have been hoping they would add.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
We used to watch the SW commercials years ago, and we knew of no flights from Denver back then.
WN did have a low key presence at Stapleton from 1983-1986. Didn't fit their business model at the time. It certainly does now!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...We now need SW to fly to Hawaii. Denver has one airline, United, that has an occasional non-stop to Maui. ...
Guess you missed UA's daily 777 DEN-HNL that has 32 FC seats and a bunch of E+ seats.

Remind me how many FC seats WN offers to anywhare? How many WN seats offer extra legroom?

You will never catch me on any WN flight...too uncomfortable, and way too many people gaming the seating system.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Guess you missed UA's daily 777 DEN-HNL that has 32 FC seats and a bunch of E+ seats.

Remind me how many FC seats WN offers to anywhare? How many WN seats offer extra legroom?

You will never catch me on any WN flight...too uncomfortable, and way too many people gaming the seating system.
Exactly, no First Class, which is why I said that I wished for First Class for RT N/S to MAUI, and not Honolulu. There are a lot of airlines that fly to HNL. I don't stay on Oahu and don't care to get to Hawaii and board another plane to get to Maui. We DO fly to PDX, OAK, SJC, SEA, or even SFO, spend the night at an airport hotel, then we fly the next day, early, directly to Maui.

I have the points, I just need the the NS to Maui.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:03 pm

Yet you post here.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Now Denver flies SW more than any other airline, even more than Frontier, Denver's supposed own airline.
Southwest flies more passengers from DEN than does United mainline, but United + United Express is still larger than WN, with a much higher flight count and non-stop destination count.

DEN has been a great success for WN.

DEN airport data Nov 16 YTD. https://www.flydenver.com/sites/defa...lydenver_0.pdf

Last edited by 3Cforme; Feb 8, 2017 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by NextTrip; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yet you post here.
Waiting to see if there are ever any credible rumors regarding assigned seating and/or an economy+ equivalent. I used to be fine flying WN back when I could board early and the seats were among the most comfortable Y seats in the sky.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Why would they change?

Waiting to see if there are ever any credible rumors regarding assigned seating and/or an economy+ equivalent. I used to be fine flying WN back when I could board early and the seats were among the most comfortable Y seats in the sky.
WN got to where it is using the open seating/all coach seats model. If WN modified some of its planes to have assigned seating and an economy + version of coach, it would mean those planes would no longer be interchangeable with the rest of their aircraft - a significant drawback. As to the boarding early issue, anyone can buy that early boarding privilege for less than $20 per segment. If it is important to you (and you don't fly WN enough to be A-list), just buy the early bird checkin. Problem solved.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
True, but...

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Southwest flies more passengers from DEN than does United mainline, but United + United Express is still larger than WN, with a much higher flight count and non-stop destination count.
I have not had great luck with the commuter flights booked with legacy carriers. I've had DL sell me a DEN-MSP-BMJ-MSP-DEN, and then fly me DEN-MSP and cancel the commuter flight up to BMJ. I've had AA sell me a DEN-DFW-TYR-DFW-DEN ticket and then cancel the DFW-TYR segment.

If the commuter airlines aren't going to fly the final segment, there is no reason to buy the ticket with the legacy carrier. I've yet to have WN just cancel a flight all together. If I'm going to have to rent a car and drive 2+ hours from the intermediate hub anyway, I'd prefer to know that in advance, and plan for it.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA1K
Exactly, no First Class, which is why I said that I wished for First Class for RT N/S to MAUI, and not Honolulu. There are a lot of airlines that fly to HNL. I don't stay on Oahu and don't care to get to Hawaii and board another plane to get to Maui. We DO fly to PDX, OAK, SJC, SEA, or even SFO, spend the night at an airport hotel, then we fly the next day, early, directly to Maui.

I have the points, I just need the the NS to Maui.
you're willing to overnight on the west coast over flying to HNL and connecting?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
you're willing to overnight on the west coast over flying to HNL and connecting?
The flight back is tough, when it's at night. We are in our 60's and fly to Hawaii three times a year. DS's stepmom comes with us sometimes, and she is 88. We need to take it easy on these flights.

I don't mind flying to Maui on the various airlines that provide decent flights going to Maui or Kauai, wherever we have to stop. The issue with those flights is the price we pay vs. the flights from the coast. We got $808/RT in 1st, May-June out of Oakland for our 3-week Kauai stay. Two (free) nights in a hotel room with our Holiday Inn points in Oakland. This is Hawaiian going to Kauai, Alaska Airlines coming back.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
I flew in and out of DEN on WN over 45 times last year. Have never had a major issue, love the service they provide. Those begging for domestic first class are soft (International is another matter - I'll take a lie flat any day)

Here's hoping they continue to have success in the market and expand their route map even more. I like the idea of HNL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.