Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alive thru 3/17: How to buy a Companion Pass, 120k RR pts + 7 hotel nights for $2048

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alive thru 3/17: How to buy a Companion Pass, 120k RR pts + 7 hotel nights for $2048

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I remember back in about 2006 I was the only guy I knew talking about the CP. I got laughed at by everyone I knew who were all on UA/DL/US/AA.

Now there are multiple Facebook groups with many thousands of members (plus God knows how many bloggers and their audiences) pounding the CP. There used to be absolutely none of that.

I think a LOT of people are getting the CP.
Thousands I would agree with but if you go by what you read here it seems like 100K people redeemed a Marriott TP for CP the first day.

I also wonder how many time a year people use CP and what is the value of those flights.

I use 2 of our CP flights for Florida, one in early March and one in mid April. Those flights are pricey ( especially as the date closes in when WGA is hard to find as it's spring break) as is our Vegas trip for the first week of the NCAA March madness.

Our 4th trip is to Florida the day after Thanksgiving and that flight is usually half empty and dirt cheap.

Our 5th flight is Vegas the 3rd weekend in Feb, again relatively cheap as I think I paid ~13K R/T the day it went on sale

One other point, we also pay using points for all of our flights. We are able to do this because we have 3 people getting cards and I use my dads points plus we had hundreds of thousands of WN points when 5/24 kicked in. Many people today are starting from zero points and 120K WN points only goes so far. People may run out of points and have to pay for one seat which changes things quite a bit from a revenue standpoint.....then add in annual fees and my bet is more people pay interest than people like us who don't. Even people who can pay the balance in full every month may be one bad event away from a maxed out card....these bankers aren't fools

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 23, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Shouldn't the thread title be corrected to 3/31/17?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:39 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Shouldn't the thread title be corrected to 3/31/17?
Oops, fixed. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I remember back in about 2006 I was the only guy I knew talking about the CP. I got laughed at by everyone I knew who were all on UA/DL/US/AA.

Now there are multiple Facebook groups with many thousands of members (plus God knows how many bloggers and their audiences) pounding the CP. There used to be absolutely none of that.

I think a LOT of people are getting the CP.
Hey! You weren't the only one talking about the CP; maybe you and I, though (and mostly to each other).

BTW, I'm not really all that excited that so many people are getting it now. Seems like there is always a pattern ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.