Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:31 pm

I challenge the notion that profitability and fairness are mutually exclusive. Angry customers don't help the bottom line.

Originally Posted by nsx
There's your problem. Operating a business is about making money, not about being right or fair.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would be curious to know how much business WN loses because of open/no assigned seating. Wonder if they ever run surveys?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:51 pm

Probably not much, but an established policy probably wouldn't cost them business either.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I would be curious to know how much business WN loses because of open/no assigned seating. Wonder if they ever run surveys?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hank Moody
Probably not much, but an established policy probably wouldn't cost them business either.
A sensible policy I have long suggested would certainly cost them some EBCI:

"You may save one middle seat behind the exit row."
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I challenge the notion that profitability and fairness are mutually exclusive. Angry customers don't help the bottom line.
Just to throw this out there, I'll agree with you 100% that they are not mutually exclusive and that angry customers don't help the bottom line. So why make your customers angry by telling them they cannot save seats?

There are two sides to this and there's a lot of assumptions that most people don't want seat saving to be allowed. I know I don't know which group is in the majority and I'm guessing you don't either but I would hope that WN has some clue about it.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Maybe they do. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe they they feel they would lose money if they didn't have open/no assigned seating.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:48 pm

Why would customers be angry? People can still choose to board at the same time.
Originally Posted by justhere
So why make your customers angry by telling them they cannot save seats?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Why would customers be angry? People can still choose to board at the same time.
Why would they be angry? I don't know, you were the one that brought that up. Maybe they wouldn't be angry.

Boarding at the same time and seat saving are two different things and yes they can certainly still chose to board at the later boarding number but that doesn't mean they'll find two seats together.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:38 pm

That wasn't me. It was NSX in #118.

Why would they be angry? I don't know, you were the one that brought that up. Maybe they wouldn't be angry.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
It's not about happy vs. unhappy. It's about what's right and fair.

This thread says it well and I'm glad the matter is getting the attention it deserves.
Same song, different verse, strangers arguing with strangers hosted by Marketers "promising" to circulate with decision makers when their mind has been made up long ago.

Nothing will change until a decision is made to monetize it further through assigned seats and premium seating and I hope that day never happens.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's all been said before, but people on both sides here seem to believe that all complaints would stop if only Southwest would (a) prohibit seat saving or (b) explicitly sanction seat saving. This is as wrong as can be.

The number of unhappy people would increase if either of these policies were adopted and enforced. The reason is that under the current non-policy most people make reasonable accommodations for the preference of others, even if those others are selfish oafs.

A "one size fits all" policy cannot provide the same average level of customer satisfaction as a flexible non-policy. Given that different customers have different preferences, perfect customer satisfaction is not an option.
I agree and sad essentially the same thing (not as elegantly) yesterday in yet another seat saving thread!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:26 pm

Maybe they they feel they would lose money if they didn't have open/no assigned seating.
They'd make money with a program offering sequential boarding numbers at a premium. I doubt they have the IT chops.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
They'd make money with a program offering sequential boarding numbers at a premium. I doubt they have the IT chops.
I don't know about that. The culture at that airline is significantly different than most. Certainly they could mimic everyone else and monetize every possible ancillary service. They could degrade WGA service to make higher fares more desirable, as our wonderful legacies have done.
To me this isn't so much about IT chops. It's more about not giving the car keys to a bunch of MBA's for whom short term profitability is a significantly better resume filler than long term customer loyalty and goodwill.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
If it was a priority and had a huge ROI, any IT team would knock it out almost overnight.

Same with the "secret" prioritized automatic check-in boarding order (A Listers & EBCI). Give me a manifest at T-36, with the proper criteria, fields and variables, tell me how you want it sorted and I'll write you an Access query within an hour as a completely self-taught computer geek amatuer. It ain't rocket science...

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 31, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:57 am

This is a hot button for me. I do save the seat next to me 2-3 x per year when I use a CP.
I have given up buying EBC for my wife since it really doesn't help the situation and restricts itinerary changes. I do not save an exit row (extra leg room) seat but opt for the 'love' seats (two in row). I frankly do not see how this is a desirable seat for someone traveling solo. There is no more leg room and you have someone next to you as you would an aisle or window elsewhere.
As a traveler who buys only BS and likely spends 12-15 a year on WN I don't feel this is an infraction in any way. As I fly through the year I see front rows almost always taken by questionable early boarders and desired exit rows populated by 'move up' flyers from a previous flight. I can live with this year round so don't begrudge me a chance to save one seat next to me.
On my last CP flight several SW employees commented that with my high board num. I should save a seat for my wife.
So my personal 'fairness' barometer after 20 years of SW flying- saving a single seat next to you is fair game with the exception of the extra leg room exit row. JMHO
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:16 am

This exactly my situation with the possible exception that I pay up for BS, grab the infinite seat when possible and save the middle for my CP. While technically an exit row middle, there is nothing special about it otherwise.

And I would wager 99% of us travel in this manner when necessary. It's the 1% that cause problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.