Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free standby for A-list

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:33 pm

Learned today that you can do this at co-terminals

Today I learned that you can fly standby for an earlier flight at a co-terminal if it's within the 2 hour window.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by rasheed
Hilarious. If the A-Lister with a CP changes to a different flight, the companion's original reservation is to be cancelled per policy or has to also be changed to be on the same flight (even as a new booking).

I can see that if it is a situation where there is only one open seat, the companion could be in trouble, but you could always check that before doing the switch.

Rasheed
I wonder what would have happened if I took the earlier flight, but left my wife, flying on a companion pass, to try to board the later flight without me. Would the boarding system make it appear that I had booked a flight with a companion, then cancelled it and let the companion fly alone (a big no no)?

Sometimes I think WN would benefit by flying a few of us to Dallas for a discussion of the implications of some of their half-thought-out "improvements."

I volunteer.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by dlaue
I wonder what would have happened if I took the earlier flight, but left my wife, flying on a companion pass, to try to board the later flight without me. Would the boarding system make it appear that I had booked a flight with a companion, then cancelled it and let the companion fly alone (a big no no)?
If the companion tried to board without an active CP holder on the same flight, they should not be allowed to board (the reservation is supposed to auto cancel). However, I am not sure if it has been tested.

Rasheed
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by shtimseht
Today I learned that you can fly standby for an earlier flight at a co-terminal if it's within the 2 hour window.
I hope this isn't abused, but this new policy does put something of a ceiling on how far apart Southwest's fares can be set for co-terminal cities. For example, fares to SFO are sometimes $10 lower than fares to OAK due to greater competition at SFO.

If the difference became $25 or more I might book the SFO flight and standby for OAK rather than booking the confirmed OAK flight. After all, the BART time difference is only half an hour. OAK's true advantage is its much better on-time performance.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by joshua362
I think you got cut a break here by reference to

"For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who have also qualified for a Companion Pass, reserved boarding privileges and priority standby will not be provided to the Companion unless the Companion is also an A-List or A-List Preferred Member."

Stupid rule, I might add assuming space is available... Clear as mud.
Maybe I missed something somewhere but I think you are reading too much into it. The part you quoted is from a bigger paragraph. I think the part you quoted is simply saying that the companion doesn't get priority standby, which is a status or ranking, so they would just get standby.

In other words, if a flight is sold out and 6 people want to get on if there ends up being room, and one of those 6 is A+ and one is A, the A+ would get priority over the A and the A would get priority over the other 4. If the A+ has a companion traveling with them, the companion would be ranked somewhere among the 4. Whether they are on WGA, AT, or BS doesn't matter at this point because they are only standby. If they can be confirmed on the flight then they would be charged the fare difference, if any, at that time. The exception would be if it's within the 2 hour window, the A+ and A wouldn't have to pay a fare difference even if on WGA fares.

What I don't know is how they would handle it if there only ended up being, say, 3 seats and the A+, A, and a BS passenger (assuming a BS passenger has a priority over an AT or WGA) wanted to fly, would they let the A+ separate from their companion?
Originally Posted by joshua362
Actually, this is really as clear as mud, perhaps I am wrong.

What is "reserved boarding privileges"? Fancy way to say boarding pass? So a Companion can't get one - or has to be the last person to board the plane?

I understand not getting "priority standby" but what if the flight is wide open?

Really, Southwest?
If the flight is wide open, no one gets standby. You just get confirmed. You don't need priority standby because there is no ranking of standby passengers. You simply say you want to get on the wide open flight. The agent will then tell you if you owe any fare difference depending on things like are you A+ or A and your flight was within 2 hours. Or if it's not within 2 hours are you on a WGA, AT, or BS fare.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
What happens if the earlier flight at the co - terminal is full and you don't get on?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by justhere
Maybe I missed something somewhere but I think you are reading too much into it. The part you quoted is from a bigger paragraph. I think the part you quoted is simply saying that the companion doesn't get priority standby, which is a status or ranking, so they would just get standby.

In other words, if a flight is sold out and 6 people want to get on if there ends up being room, and one of those 6 is A+ and one is A, the A+ would get priority over the A and the A would get priority over the other 4. If the A+ has a companion traveling with them, the companion would be ranked somewhere among the 4. Whether they are on WGA, AT, or BS doesn't matter at this point because they are only standby. If they can be confirmed on the flight then they would be charged the fare difference, if any, at that time. The exception would be if it's within the 2 hour window, the A+ and A wouldn't have to pay a fare difference even if on WGA fares.

What I don't know is how they would handle it if there only ended up being, say, 3 seats and the A+, A, and a BS passenger (assuming a BS passenger has a priority over an AT or WGA) wanted to fly, would they let the A+ separate from their companion?

If the flight is wide open, no one gets standby. You just get confirmed. You don't need priority standby because there is no ranking of standby passengers. You simply say you want to get on the wide open flight. The agent will then tell you if you owe any fare difference depending on things like are you A+ or A and your flight was within 2 hours. Or if it's not within 2 hours are you on a WGA, AT, or BS fare.
While I definitely agree with you, if that is the wording distributed to gate agents nationwide, we are definitely in for a ride as noted a few posts above.

So if the first answer is "no" only the strong willed FT reader will prevail!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: WN
If a Tier Member chooses to fly standby, their Companion can remain on the original flight (fly separately). This is similar to how IRROPS is handled today. The Companion (unless they are Tier Member as well) is NOT extended the Standby option per the policy.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
What happens if the earlier flight at the co - terminal is full and you don't get on?
Then you fly what you booked or you can intentionally miss that flight and standby for later flights. A-list standby priority should get you a seat if the flight isn't packed and some other flight didn't get canceled. But it's not guaranteed.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by goatman
If a Tier Member chooses to fly standby, their Companion can remain on the original flight (fly separately). This is similar to how IRROPS is handled today. The Companion (unless they are Tier Member as well) is NOT extended the Standby option per the policy.
Not saying you are wrong but where does it say that the companion doesn't get to travel with the primary?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:36 am

That policy, if true, contradicts the published Companion Pass rules.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I was traveling once with my Companion son and they offered a bump for one. I mentioned that this was a CP situation and they said they could override. Did not go through with it because my son was too young.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
Then you fly what you booked or you can intentionally miss that flight and standby for later flights. A-list standby priority should get you a seat if the flight isn't packed and some other flight didn't get canceled. But it's not guaranteed.
but you have to get to the other airport before your flight leaves - and if not , hope that later fights are available. - not something I would do.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:36 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by ursine1
I see your point. I'm not sure how it works now, but perhaps an A-Lister who has flown standby with their companion can chime in with more info?
DH has had a CP for several years. I have had different levels of status while flying with him.
Bottom line is it pretty much wipes out any status DH has. Also, they have to manage the WL manually. When DH had A+ and I had nothing-- DH went above A listers and I went to the bottom. DH would clear, but he couldn't take it - so they would ask the next person and then add DH back on.

I've had A list for a few years--I just go above non-status and DH goes above A-list folks.

We've never been on a WL that cleared.

Now, confirmed flights are a different story. Easy peasey. If we notice an earlier flight, we always stop by and ask if we can get on it. We have had some sucess with getting the flight changed (to the earlier flight) for no fare difference even before this new policy. (I suspect, though, in each case the later flight was in an oversold situation).
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:14 am

Gonna try this today for the 1st time, ATL-DAL, booked on 7:10p gonna try to get on 5:25p, which had all 3 fares available an hour ago, called to change (booked thru my corp travel so can't change online) but then all flights showed SOLD OUT, and then WGA fares went away. 5:25p shows sold out, so we'll see. Will either have dinner at ATL Longhorns, or in Dallas if I can get on the earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.