Free standby for A-list

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Free standby for A-list

Just got the following email:

Dear alggag,

Rapid Rewards® just got more rewarding! Beginning Tuesday, September 13, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will get to enjoy free same-day standby as a new benefit when flying standby within two hours of your original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, and on the original date of travel.

To take advantage of this new benefit, see a friendly Customer Service Agent at the airport on your day of travel.**

Limiting it to two hours of original departure sounds like this will have limited usefulness to the high frequency routes but still a nice change.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Yea, too good to be true for most of us I would think. Intra CA, MDW-MCI, DAL-HOU maybe, but generally useless for me.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:36 am

While I'm happy to see this, it is unfortunate it is only two hours. There are only a few flights that I take that I can even utilize this.

I'm going to make a comment about it on the Southwest's own forum. Maybe it will find the right person at WN...maybe. For those who don't know about the forum (it's pretty new), here is the link: https://community.southwest.com/

Edit: Here is the link to my exact post on the WN-run forum: https://community.southwest.com/t5/R...atch/m-p/47830

Last edited by AlexM125; Sep 12, 2016 at 5:53 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Yeah, I wonder how they decided on a 2-hour cutoff. Two possibilities:
  1. This is a marketing gimmick to "align" with other loyalty programs but they don't want us to really be able to use it.
  2. They are targeting this to folks who fly specific, high-frequency routes, and I guess the rest of us are less important.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I vote for #1. Hopefully (and wishful thinking) they'll empower Agents at the airport to have a little discretion & leeway and stretch it a bit. Although not many people will show up early just to wait and take a chance with the rule as is. Really a whole lot of nothing. Surprised it wasn't touted on NFL ads yesterday...

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:40 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:47 am

I think the 2-hour limit is in place somewhat to avoid how we took advantage of Airtran's all-day standby policy...book the last flight of the day and once your meeting is over, jump on the next available flight
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I think the 2-hour limit is in place somewhat to avoid how we took advantage of Airtran's all-day standby policy...book the last flight of the day and once your meeting is over, jump on the next available flight
Isn't that exactly what the legacies offer their elites?

At least those at a certain level.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Isn't that exactly what the legacies offer their elites?

At least those at a certain level.
I believe so.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
I wonder how this would work with a companion pass.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:44 am

Marketing gimmick.

Allows WN to advertise "Free Standby" but actually offer something much more limited.

Reminds me of "Points Don't Expire."
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I'd love to see how this policy plays out in the real world for:

Taking an earlier connection -- I'd have saved three hours at Midway last week if that flight just under the MCT was available to me.

Coterminals, both departing and arriving.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:21 am

The website hasn't been updated with details yet, but this graphic makes it appear that this replaces "standby priority." While that feature had it's problems, it's arguable that it could be utilized by many more A-Listers than free standby with a 2-hour window limitation could. Meaning, in essence, that this could actually be a downgrade.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bobunf
I wonder how this would work with a companion pass.
It gives no benefit to the companion, unless they are also an A-Lister.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dmbolp
This. The price differential by time of day can be very high. Southwest doesn't want you to pay for a cheap hour and fly at a peak hour. They want you to pay the price for peak or near-peak travel time if that's when you fly.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
The website hasn't been updated with details yet, but this graphic makes it appear that this replaces "standby priority." While that feature had it's problems, it's arguable that it could be utilized by many more A-Listers than free standby with a 2-hour window limitation could. Meaning, in essence, that this could actually be a downgrade.
If Southwest were to make such a downgrade without announcing it, that would be one of the biggest loyalty program mistakes they have ever made. I would be shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.