Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Curb Check-In Agent Tracks Down My Friend for Not Tipping. Is this Common?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curb Check-In Agent Tracks Down My Friend for Not Tipping. Is this Common?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
A friend of mine from work just texted me and asked me if it was customary to tip the agent at curbside check-in. Apparently, he did not tip the agent and the agent tracked him down while he was in the security line (on the second floor of the airport) and told him that "If you don't want to use tip service, you can check your bags inside". Well I always tip the curbside check-in agent, I think him being tracked down inside the airport is a little out there.
Yes it is customary to tip the "sky caps", however it is unusual for a "sky cap" to track a single passenger down and accost them in security, simply because "stiffing" a "sky cap" is not that unusual.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
This thread is hilarious. I'm so grateful to live in a country where employers don't expect their customers to act as unwaged paymasters.

There's a serious problem when even people who are born and raised in a place don't know when they've already paid for a service or when they have to place coins in a begging bowl.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Anyone who gives their baggage to someone to convenience-check it for them and walks away without tipping is taking a major chance that their bag goes awry. Don't like tipping, don't expect curbside check-in is a free service due you with your LCC care. Take it inside and wait in line. That's free. They ain't going give you a free drink, why would think they would provide this service for you?
Anyone who stalks a customer to berate them over tips is taking a major chance their employment goes awry. Don't like to be stiffed, don't accept a job that gives discretion to the customer for your blue collar job. Take a standard salaried position.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
They aren't Southwest employees. They work for tips.

Many curbside check-in counters I've used state this explicitly and some even say something about gratuities being appreciated.

Don't like to be called out for stiffing a guy on a tip? Don't be so cheap. If saving the $5-$10 is that important to you, drag your bags inside and wait in the long line with everyone else.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TA
If these agents are employees of the airline performing an expected included service of the airline, I think the airlines should completely quash the notion that they should receive any tip -- with clearly posted signage, or prohibit them from soliciting tips. If they are not employees, I think the airline should work with the airport to stop allowing them to accept bags if they require tipping, or they should have a clearly posted service charge fee $. This is nonsense that you need to tip someone for doing the airline's job -- and more so based on the minimal effort that accepting a bag involves.
A plan echoing your view was implemented by AA in Boston and went through the courts ending in 2011, actually.

Remember when American Airlines began charging a $2 fee for curbside check-in in 2005?

Skycaps at Boston’s Logan International Airport sued the airline, saying that it deprived them of tips because a lot of passengers thought the fee substituted for the tips they had been receiving.

A federal district court jury agreed with them in 2008, saying the new fee violated a Massachusetts state law that is supposed to keep employers from pocketing tips or service fees that were intended for the employees. The jury awarded the nine skycaps $333,464, plus prejudgment interest and attorney’s fees.

However, a federal appeals court ruled Friday that federal law preempts state law, and American doesn’t owe the skycaps the money they lost after the fee was instituted.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...wins-app.html/

The use of contractors puts the Skycaps in a tough spot. Unionize, and the airline(s) will just pick other contractors.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rickg523
Anyone who gives their baggage to someone to convenience-check it for them and walks away without tipping is taking a major chance that their bag goes awry.
Yeah forget the debate about how the system "should" work - the basic question here is, "do you want your bags to make the right flight?" If so, tipping sky caps is highly recommended
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:11 am

Security issue then

If they are not employees of Southwest, Why do they have the southwest uniform on ? Am I letting someone else control my luggage (AKA security question at counter). tracking you down for a tip is wrong. I do tip for extra service. but it is just a way for the company to servitude workers and gouge the consumer for some more money.

Southwest is just like the others with a bit more polish on the outside. Executives care about executives $$$. not the customers or real workers.

curb side service is only available because company makes staff at counters inside short handed to induce the long lines. making the curb extra fee/tip attractive.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I've watched when I'm in line at curbside. A lot of people don't tip. Maybe Californians don't tip? Unless they do it on the sly, I see a lot of people who just don't. Which makes it even odder the skycap would single out one particular passenger.

On the other hand, skycaps at MDW make it no secret that they expect a tip. Stiff one there and they will make a comment. But I'm sure they won't follow you into the terminal.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:05 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by jb3t
Secondly... Are you all sure they are not WN employees? They are at a WN booth, wear WN shirts, are in the WN computer system to print out the stickers they put on the bag, and verify your ID. Just so happens it's all at the curb.
The ones I have seen at DAL certainly look like employees. I have not used them, so I can't confirm for sure, but as stated, they wear WN shirts and shorts. I have not looked at their name tags... will make a point to do that when I'm through DAL in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Maybe Californians don't tip? ...
As a note, in Cali they will get paid a normal minimum wage ($10/hr I think) . The state does not make an exception for tipped workers.

This might well create a blurred line on how one should tip. Should it be more the EU (and ROW) model, and not the US model?

In TX, they probably make the US required $2.14/hr.

It has been debated if the CA model actually hurts the workers. They get more in wages, but hurts them on tips.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by exwannabe
As a note, in Cali they will get paid a normal minimum wage ($10/hr I think) .
This is interesting. I did not know that.

My observations that many people do not tip are based almost entirely on what I see at the smaller California airports. OAK, SJC and ONT. I don't fly out of LAX or SFO, I don't use curbside here at MDW and its been ages since I've had a checked bag to or from anywhere else. Small sample size here.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I've watched when I'm in line at curbside. A lot of people don't tip. Maybe Californians don't tip? Unless they do it on the sly, I see a lot of people who just don't. Which makes it even odder the skycap would single out one particular passenger.

On the other hand, skycaps at MDW make it no secret that they expect a tip. Stiff one there and they will make a comment. But I'm sure they won't follow you into the terminal.
At MCI the guy at curbside check in, repeatedly announced that they work on tips. I always tip anyways, so its fine by me. And after tipping I do hate to see the pikers stiff the guys saving them time and providing a convenience

If you don't want to tip, for curbside service, then I strongly suggest you should stand in the line inside for the 15-45 minutes and earn the money you saved by not paying someone to do something for you.

I am aware that everyone in the second world thinks tipping should be outlawed,

But no one says you have to use the service. Schlep yopur own bags, go to a cafeteria or drive through. I am quite confident you want to get paid for your services.

Just my .02
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Anyone who stalks a customer to berate them over tips is taking a major chance their employment goes awry. Don't like to be stiffed, don't accept a job that gives discretion to the customer for your blue collar job. Take a standard salaried position.
The stalker should be canned immediately. Which will indicate to his co-workers that his way was not the way to express his disatisfaction. Leaving them only subversive methods.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

Skycaps who intentionally damage or misdirect luggage should not just be fired. The airline should sue the skycap on behalf of the inconvenienced passenger.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

Some airports in the SWA network have SWA skycaps/curbside check in, most of the small/non hub cities are contractors who make $2-$3 an hour and work for tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.