Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Curb Check-In Agent Tracks Down My Friend for Not Tipping. Is this Common?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP

A friend of mine from work just texted me and asked me if it was customary to tip the agent at curbside check-in. Apparently, he did not tip the agent and the agent tracked him down while he was in the security line (on the second floor of the airport) and told him that "If you don't want to use tip service, you can check your bags inside". Well I always tip the curbside check-in agent, I think him being tracked down inside the airport is a little out there.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
It's a little surprising but I don't think it's inappropriate. It's no different than failing to tip a server and having them say something as you're walking to your car, or asking a bellman to help you get your bags into your hotel room and them waiting for a tip.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:38 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If these agents are employees of the airline performing an expected included service of the airline, I think the airlines should completely quash the notion that they should receive any tip -- with clearly posted signage, or prohibit them from soliciting tips. If they are not employees, I think the airline should work with the airport to stop allowing them to accept bags if they require tipping, or they should have a clearly posted service charge fee $. This is nonsense that you need to tip someone for doing the airline's job -- and more so based on the minimal effort that accepting a bag involves.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
A "tip" is always optional. If there's a "service fee", then it must be posted in advance.

I assume that these are either airport employees [hourly wage] or SWA employees [hourly wage]. I don't ordinarily "tip" such employees, but honestly, in this case, I do tip if I use curbside check-in because I fear that if I don't tip, I'll never see my luggage again. I don't like feeling that way, but I do recognize that these people have the power to ruin my trip very quickly....................

In this case, I'd have gotten the guy's name and reported him while I was still in the airport, if I had the time. I'd have followed up with a strongly worded e-mail to both the airport management and to SWA.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorK
It's a little surprising but I don't think it's inappropriate. It's no different than failing to tip a server and having them say something as you're walking to your car ...
That's utterly inappropriate. Worse than flat-out asking for a tip.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorK
It's a little surprising but I don't think it's inappropriate. It's no different than failing to tip a server and having them say something as you're walking to your car, or asking a bellman to help you get your bags into your hotel room and them waiting for a tip.
The main difference is that waiters/waitresses make under minimum wage and they rely on tips. I'm sure that's not the case with these guys.

I told my buddy to report him somehow. He said he wanted nothing to do with it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
The main difference is that waiters/waitresses make under minimum wage and they rely on tips. I'm sure that's not the case with these guys.
I would not be so sure. http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/ADVIS...ref=sitesearch
... they work for airline contractors, which typically pay them the minimum wage for tipped employees -- $2 or $3 an hour in most states.
Article is from 2003, but I have no evidence it's outdated.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by swaluvr
A "tip" is always optional. If there's a "service fee", then it must be posted in advance.

I assume that these are either airport employees [hourly wage] or SWA employees [hourly wage]. I don't ordinarily "tip" such employees, but honestly, in this case, I do tip if I use curbside check-in because I fear that if I don't tip, I'll never see my luggage again. I don't like feeling that way, but I do recognize that these people have the power to ruin my trip very quickly....................

In this case, I'd have gotten the guy's name and reported him while I was still in the airport, if I had the time. I'd have followed up with a strongly worded e-mail to both the airport management and to SWA.

They are neither employees of the airport nor are they Southwest employees. They are typically contracted through a separate company all together. The days of skycaps being employees are the airlines are many years gone.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t

I told my buddy to report him somehow. He said he wanted nothing to do with it.
So you told your buddy to report the guy but didn't tell him to tip the guy?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
So you told your buddy to report the guy but didn't tell him to tip the guy?
Are you seriously suggesting people should tip employees who stalk you through the airport?

Any tip that employee may have "deserved" is gone by that point.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those people are not agents and not employees and yes, it is expected that you tip them.

However, what the particular guy did was inappropriate and should have been reported on the spot and should now be reported with a description to WN.

Putting aside the guy's rudeness and the never-ending debate about tipping, there are certain functions where tipping is expected and this is one of them.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You know that you can't give a tips. They don't allow to get a tips anymore. You must keep the money. Skycaps will not accept a tips. Because they changed. You must accept it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Firstly... my buddy texted me after all this went down and asked about if I tip those folks and I said "of course I do".

Secondly... Are you all sure they are not WN employees? They are at a WN booth, wear WN shirts, are in the WN computer system to print out the stickers they put on the bag, and verify your ID. Just so happens it's all at the curb.

Regardless, you dont track someone down to ..... at them about not tipping. I highly doubt they are $3 employees.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:34 pm

What airport?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone who gives their baggage to someone to convenience-check it for them and walks away without tipping is taking a major chance that their bag goes awry. Don't like tipping, don't expect curbside check-in is a free service due you with your LCC care. Take it inside and wait in line. That's free. They ain't going give you a free drink, why would think they would provide this service for you?

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:52 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.