Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-700 Evolve Blue seat upgrades - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
How is jamming both feet into a under seat space 1/2 the width it used to be (the aisle seat in the pic above) better?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I have been on these planes that have the new seating and find them to be fairly comfortable, even for a tall guy like me . I find that the seat bottom being slightly less "thick" actually gave me a smidge more leg room. Not sure why, just seemed like I usually have my knees pretty close to the seat in front, but now, I am a few inches away. Just found it more enjoyable
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Please keep in mind that many of us remember when we were told the new Evolve interior had "an emphasis on comfort and personal space." And that "the new design also makes the bottom cushion lighter and more comfortable," all "without sacrificing the Customers' personal space."

We all know how that turned out.

While initial reports about Heart certainly seem positive, it's worth noting that only 29 of the existing 800s, along with new 800s and MAX orders will get the new seats. Meaning the percentage of the fleet that has these seats -- and your chance of having them on your flight -- will remain low for the next few years.
The major issue with the Evolve seems to be the lower seat position and the thin seat cushion which combine to make the seat less ergonomic (comfortable). This in turn seems to have mostly been a result of using the original seat frame as the basis for Evolve, no doubt to reduce cost. The thicker seat cushion of the replacement "Bold Blue" upholstery with a thicker seat cushion would seem to be an attempt to rectify this. It seems fairly successful at this and in a few years much of the fleet will be refitted with the new upholstery.

I assume that used planes being added to the fleet have been getting getting the "Bold Blue" version of Evolve, but I wonder when it started and how many aircraft it applies to. They have been adding "new to Southwest" 737-700s obtained on the secondary market at the rate of several a month for a while now. The fleet size has increased from 587 (IIRC) just after Airtran shutdown to 720 today mostly by acquiring used -700s. The impending retirement of all -300 and -500 in the next 15 months or so (about 100 aircraft) will increase the proportion of planes with the "Bold Blue" upholstery. Assuming 2.5 -800 deliveries a month they will need to acquire about 4-5 -700s per month to avoid reducing the fleet size.

New delivery planes don't have old frames to retrofit, so the ergonomics can be better, The new frames might even be lighter than the old ones.

I also wonder what is happening to the retired -300s and -500s. Are they being scrapped or resold/re-leased.

But since I usually fly short flights my butt doesn't notice it that much. Even at 6'2" but long waisted, I find leg room adequate and have shifted my seat selection strategy to maximize the opportunity for an empty middle over the quixotic attempt to gain the more popular and more limited exit row eating.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:43 am

My major issue with Evolve is the loss of legroom due to the tighter seat pitch. Secondarily, the seat cushion is uncomfortably thin and sits too low.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:08 pm

My major issue with Evolve is the loss of legroom due to the tighter seat pitch. Secondarily, the seat cushion is uncomfortably thin and sits too low.
Seat pitch is reduced in the Evolve seats. But seat thickness is also reduced, offsetting the difference in pitch at lease somewhat. To determine if there was a loss of leg room one would need to know the distance from the back of the seat cushion to the back of the seat immediately in front. Perhaps someone here has some accurate measurements of the two conditions.

The ergonomics of the lower seat height are to a some extent a cause of apparent loss of legroom.

Assuming your legs touch the floor a lower seat height causes the knees to flex more and extend somewhat further.

To a lesser extent the lower seat height causes restricted forward vision (assuming the new seat backs are the same height above the floor). That would usually be perceived as less room.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by joshua362
How is jamming both feet into a under seat space 1/2 the width it used to be (the aisle seat in the pic above) better?
The seat tracks haven't moved. That's the same on any 737/757, on any airline.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
The seat tracks haven't moved. That's the same on any 737/757, on any airline.
The fact that the seat tracks haven't moved is actually the problem. Take a look at the linked the article. Under seat storage room for the aisle seat is significantly reduced in the new Heart when compared to the Evolve interior. Ostensibly, this is at the benefit of the middle seat storage room, or possibly the window, but that remains unclear.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Seat pitch is reduced in the Evolve seats. But seat thickness is also reduced, offsetting the difference in pitch at lease somewhat. To determine if there was a loss of leg room one would need to know the distance from the back of the seat cushion to the back of the seat immediately in front. Perhaps someone here has some accurate measurements of the two conditions.

The ergonomics of the lower seat height are to a some extent a cause of apparent loss of legroom.

Assuming your legs touch the floor a lower seat height causes the knees to flex more and extend somewhat further.

To a lesser extent the lower seat height causes restricted forward vision (assuming the new seat backs are the same height above the floor). That would usually be perceived as less room.
This is been rehashed in other threads many, many times now. To some extent the effect that the reduced seat pitch Evolve has is individual, based on body type. Factually, Evolve has one inch less seat pitch on the 700s that it does on the 800s. And the general consensus is that the seat pitch is tight, and the seat bottom cushion is uncomfortable.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
That is just where I had my feet when I took a picture. Was trying to grab a snap quickly before boarding continued. You could easily put your left foot on the other side of the seat support and still be under the aisle seat.

Everyone on board the aircraft was loving the new seat and legroom. It's fantastic.

Regarding Evolve Blue on -700 A/C...the legroom is indeed far inferior to the -800's with either seating product. But I still am happy to at least see the new covers and cushions. Used -700's should be getting the Evolve Blue upgrade during conversion now as well.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
It would be hard to believe that Southwest wouldn't do anything to address some of the Evolve seat complaints.

I have an opinion they did something to move the person back a bit into the bottom of the seat to give more usable leg room while keeping the tracks in the same place.

Now, about the advertising or official discussion, there is probably no value unless a significant amount of fleet has the change. I do believe those reports so far that the leg space is better, and this has to be good news.

I think the airline knows that the regular flyers have been negatively impacted by the Evolve seats and smartly did not keep it the same when moving to Heart.

Rasheed
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
I think the airline knows that the regular flyers have been negatively impacted by the Evolve seats
Not everyone's been negatively impacted.

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I fly every airline domestically and find Evolve to still be the most comfortable economy seat.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:46 am

I'm guessing that the move to the new slimline seats with the Heart interior was driven by reducing weight inside the cabin, for better fuel efficiency. A side benefit being that slimmer seats equals more legroom.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with the majority of the fleet having Evolve seating. I doubt that the bold blue covers and (possibly) slightly thicker cushions will do much to aleviate it's legroom or comfort issues.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
At least the new head rests appear to be more comfortable ( I have no personal experience ).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:15 pm

This is been rehashed in other threads many, many times now. To some extent the effect that the reduced seat pitch Evolve has is individual, based on body type. Factually, Evolve has one inch less seat pitch on the 700s that it does on the 800s. And the general consensus is that the seat pitch is tight, and the seat bottom cushion is uncomfortable.
The general consesus is long on opinion and short on actual facts. Seat Pitch does not equal Leg Room.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If you don't accept seat pitch as pertinent facts, just what facts are you looking for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.