Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-700 Evolve Blue seat upgrades - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I've now flown on both Evolve Blue and the Heart seat.

The Heart seat has great width, absolutely incredible legroom, and the headrest works great as advertised. It also looks a lot better.

The Evolve Blue seat however is far more comfortable on the bottom. The thicker cushion does make a difference.
Didn't you get the memo? We can't talk about the Heart seats in this thread.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and take with a grain of salt any Southwest seat/interior review, however well intentioned, that includes the words, "absolutely incredible legroom."

Methinks there is perhaps bias involved.
Well, since you're making references to the new Heart interior, have you sat in one of the seats? Most WN pax have not, including you, so I'm going to take with a grain of salt the opinion of someone who hasn't actually had their butt in one of the new seats.

I have. And at least in the aisle row there is at least another inch or so of legroom over the older 800 seats. And way more than what's going on in the 700's and 300's that have 'evolved.'
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:54 pm

Did we post this yet: http://crankyflier.com/2016/08/22/so...a-look-inside/
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
My aircraft the other day had the new Heart galleys, too, but it didn't have scimitar winglets. So I'm not sure if it was an older aircraft that had just gotten the complete upgrade or a brand new one that for some reason they put into service because the bottom portion of the winglet pairs were backordered. :
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:33 pm

My post (that apparently set off the odd outburst) was made simply to make it clear that the seats already being discussed in this thread (bold blue evolve retrofit) are not the same as the Heart interior seats, so that readers don't confuse the two. That was all.

I'll stick by my statement regarding personally weighing possible bias into some comments about the various new interiors -- whether related to the poster possibly having a work relationship to WN, or just having a chip on their shoulder for some reason.

That said, I agree that, given the amount of confusing statements and incorrect information already out there about WN's multiple interior/seat configurations, the only real way to evaluate aspects such as legroom and comfort is to judge for yourself, once you're able to.

Last edited by ursine1; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:15 am

That said, I agree that, given the amount of confusing statements and incorrect information already out there about WN's multiple interior/seat configurations, the only real way to evaluate aspects such as legroom and comfort is to judge for yourself, once you're able to.
Don't know if the other poster has any bias. I don't, and I can assure you there is more legroom. And that's further backed up by the link provided a few posts above - unless you are going to discount that, too.

I think most of that legroom comes from a thinner seat and the fact that the seat pocket below the tray is much smaller and shallower as the cards, magazines, etc, have been relocated to the top of the seat above the tray. The casualty of that is a smaller tray, of course.

The other thing that is immediately noticed is the spacing between the seats, especially towards the top of the seats as they taper. You can see a lot more of the passengers - and what they are doing and watching - in front of you. That may be unnerving to some.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm 6' tall and the amount of legroom with the Heart seat far exceeds any economy seat I have flown on anywhere in the world. It's not an exaggeration or bias, it's the truth (just like how Evolve Blue seats have new, more comfortable cushions).

See for yourself.

Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:05 pm

I have been told the bottom cushions are all replaced as a part of Evolve Blue and are 1/2 inch thicker.
And yet they're still unaccountably silent on this. HVC's get a secret email?

"The existing seats will not be replaced but some are seeing updates as part of a maintenance cycle to fix what [Chief Commercial Officer Bob] Jordan described as sagging in the seat pan. The replacement kit will be the new color scheme while remaining the existing Evolve product."
Best evidence is that the cushions aren't new or thicker. Just "fixed" to be better supported and sag less.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I would imagine the new seat and interior is a lot more useful for marketing then replacing cushions on the existing product of older planes. The new interior of the future is what makes most sense to advertise.

I will just sit here and continue to laugh at the doubt - just go fly it yourself. The difference is quite noticeable.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and take with a grain of salt any Southwest seat/interior review, however well intentioned, that includes the words, "absolutely incredible legroom."

Methinks there is perhaps bias involved.
There is absolutely no bias - Southwest is never my preferred airline for a flight of more then 2/3 hours, due to the in flight product - but after flying many airlines around the world the Heart configuration offers the most legroom I have ever experienced in economy. Just go fly it before doubting the review of someone who had flown with them.

Southwest hit a home run with this new seat, both visually and space-wise for an economy offering. My personal wish list is still for IFE and a thicker bottom cushions like Evolve Blue
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:22 pm

I will just sit here and continue to laugh at the doubt - just go fly it yourself. The difference is quite noticeable.
Makes two of us laughing, I guess.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:04 pm

Please keep in mind that many of us remember when we were told the new Evolve interior had "an emphasis on comfort and personal space." And that "the new design also makes the bottom cushion lighter and more comfortable," all "without sacrificing the Customers' personal space."

We all know how that turned out.

While initial reports about Heart certainly seem positive, it's worth noting that only 29 of the existing 800s, along with new 800s and MAX orders will get the new seats. Meaning the percentage of the fleet that has these seats -- and your chance of having them on your flight -- will remain low for the next few years.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:45 pm

There is absolutely no bias - Southwest is never my preferred airline for a flight of more then 2/3 hours, due to the in flight product - but after flying many airlines around the world the Heart configuration offers the most legroom I have ever experienced in economy. Just go fly it before doubting the review of someone who had flown with them.

Southwest hit a home run with this new seat, both visually and space-wise for an economy offering. My personal wish list is still for IFE and a thicker bottom cushions like Evolve Blue
I agree with you. Flew heart a few times and love it! Well don't like the armrests but the legeoom is better than evolve and headrest rocks.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
While initial reports about Heart certainly seem positive, it's worth noting that only 29 of the existing 800s, along with new 800s and MAX orders will get the new seats. Meaning the percentage of the fleet that has these seats -- and your chance of having them on your flight -- will remain low for the next few years.
The 800's have had more than acceptable legroom from the start. The problem was squeezing the extra row into the 700's and 300's. An 800 with Evolve is almost as good as a 300 or 500 with the old seats. The 800 was the aircraft least in need of seating improvement.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:54 pm

Exactly. But having just spent millions on Evolve, they're not going to throw good money after bad. (Well, except for those new amazing thicker bold blue seat cushions.)

So, essentially you have the few planes with the good seats getting possibly even better, while the bulk of the fleet keeps its craptacular, reduced legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.