Search

Obituary for Standard Awards

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 2:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Obituary for Standard Awards

The last few surviving members of the Standard Award species, genus Rapid Rewards, died May 13, 2016, resulting in complete extinction of the species.

The Standard Award species first appeared on June 22, 1987. For 19 years it ranged freely: far, wide, and fast. Then in 2006 its range was reduced when new constraints on its movement appeared. However its agility remained unmatched among competitive species.

On March 1, 2011 a successor species called Points appeared. Standard Awards were fated to die within two years. Then, almost miraculously, a land bridge appeared allowing cross-breeding with the AirTran genus. Cross-breeding created hardy hybrids which had the potential to survive until October 2016. However a May 4, 2015 earthquake split the landscape prematurely, forcing a decision to move the young to the safe territory of Points or let them remain in the doomed land of Credits as Standard Awards.

While it lasted, the Standard Award species was agile, ideally adapted to efficient, immediate movement. The surviving Points species is able to range as far and wide as the very first Standard Awards, but it's lethargic, moving efficiently only after many days of planning. If the Points species tries to move too quickly it will burn up, providing a tasty meal for predators.

Perhaps some day scientists will be able to extra genetic material from an expired Standard Award and re-create the species. We can only hope.

Last edited by nsx; May 17, 2016 at 3:07 pm Reason: added history of the species
Old May 17, 2016, 3:51 pm

You forgot the "in lieu of flowers" but a well written obit none the less
Old May 17, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Thanks, got a chuckle out of this one
Old May 18, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
You forgot the "in lieu of flowers" but a well written obit none the less
In lieu of flowers, please donate points to my RR account. No? Well I tried!
Old May 21, 2016, 6:54 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
It was an awesome program. I remember one time during RR1 when I was able to make a last minute change to our booked award flights around Thanksgiving time which got us home to our family a few days earlier. I was amazed that we could do that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.