DING! is DEAD! (Long live DING!)

Old May 19, 2016, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

DING! is DEAD! (Long live DING!)

I happened to notice that WN finally has removed references to DING! from email confirmations, and the download link now redirects to this FAQ page:

What Happened to DING!?

DING! is now retired but you can still stay on top of our best deals on flights, hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, and more when you sign up for our weekly Click ‘N Save emails.
Sadly, this is another reminder that the days of great low last-minute fares are definitely over.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:06 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Except that DING! was almost never a last minute fare tool. To wit:

Originally Posted by homeboy4
Ding! Ever for Immediate Travel?

So far, all of the Ding! fares that I have seen have been at least three weeks in the future. Are they ever "last minutes" fares, like same week or even next day?
Appreciate the news of the official demise of DING!, nonetheless.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 20, 2016 at 12:11 am
Old May 20, 2016, 12:37 am
Original Poster

True, not super last minute, but I have fond memories of booking DING! fares a couple weeks out.

Last edited by ursine1; May 20, 2016 at 12:48 am
Old May 20, 2016, 10:47 pm

RIP Ding! Finally really-o truly-o legally dead!
Old May 21, 2016, 9:07 pm

How about we get the Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass DING and use it as a ringtone or alert and we can DING DING DING all the day long.

BTW I tried DING and it was a hit or miss.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by ursine1
I happened to notice that WN finally has removed references to DING! from email confirmations, and the download link now redirects to this FAQ page:

Sadly, this is another reminder that the days of great low last-minute fares are definitely over.
Dunno how many actual last minute fares it garnered but it probably contributed to a ton of re-faring down.

WN is now in most cities higher than others. Especially for last minute fares where two days out are often several times higher. Sometimes with WN flights flying out way below break even and others getting the pax.

I see no reason why the highest WGA fare sold shouldn't be maintained until departure. Sure they can argue BS/Anytime fares could refare down but as the flight fills WGA gets within spitting distance of Anytime.

Instead they seem to be steering short notice biz and sudden need travelers to other airlines.

Have a friend that had to travel on the death of his Mother. He found DL fares MUCH cheaper than the directs on WN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.