Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 5:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I've been watching Southwest's intra-California fares for mid-June through late August. They are still stratospheric: $113 to $123 even for the most off-peak flights. Clearly these fares are a placeholder until Southwest decides what the market will bear this summer. The market will not fill short off-peak flights at minimum fares over $100.

We are now six weeks from the June 15 low-fare horizon, which is also the horizon for my advance bookings. This is the shortest my reservation backlog has been in 18 years.

Sometime in the next two and a half weeks I expect Southwest to offer something better. If not, at $123 I'll switch the Spirit and save $50. Or I will try to redeem Avios on Alaska or American. I resent being taken advantage of. Southwest flights are great, but not at $50 more than the competition for a 1-hour trip.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I'm not being a smart-... when I ask the question. Are you talking 1-way or round trip.

From MDW, to short haul Midwest ( STL or MCI mostly for me ) summer fares are basically $100 each way ( way more than in the past ). But American and United are even more than that.

And the rental cars and hotels have become so outrageous that the airfare seems inconsequential.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:33 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I'm not being a smart-... when I ask the question. Are you talking 1-way or round trip.
1 way. The highest I've paid in past years is $79 for a few weeks that never had a better price. $123 is crazy, especially at current fuel prices.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Drive, and forget it...

What do you want a free ride..

If the price is not fair, do not pay it...

Let the market decide...some want a free ride, do not blame them...
Old May 2, 2016, 6:40 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The market price will prevail, but I am certain that $123 is not the market price for 3-week advance purchase off-peak flights within California. It has never been the market price before. Not even close. Market price for such flights is $65 to $79, IMHO. I believe that Southwest will make less money if it holds the current prices through the summer.

Does anyone want to bet that Southwest will not go below $100 for summer fares intra-California?
Old May 2, 2016, 6:44 pm

Load factors are high. With the possible exception of a summer sale, I don't see fares decreasing anytime soon.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:54 pm

Is third party selling a coming attraction? Southwest flight data and fares appear on Skyscanner and other travel agent res systems. They went 5 rounds with Orbitz to prevent that.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Sometime in the next two and a half weeks I expect Southwest to offer something better. If not, at $123 I'll switch the Spirit and save $50.
I know some travelers who have flown Spirit and would beg to give Southwest an extra $50 for their next trip.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:12 pm
Suspended

But even Spirit has "big front seats." Southwest has peanuts (literally).

It's not just the Cali fares - try running some random fares - they are in excess of $300 one way. This is insane pricing for flying WN. Are the two bags of peanuts really worth these prices?
Old May 2, 2016, 7:15 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ursine1
Load factors are high. With the possible exception of a summer sale, I don't see fares decreasing anytime soon.
Load factors are high because fares through mid-June are reasonable. Current summer fares are about 67% higher! Load factors will plummet at those fares.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Load factors are high because fares through mid-June are reasonable. Current summer fares are about 67% higher! Load factors will plummet at those fares.
I want to believe that's true.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AS MVP, HH Gold, FPC Premier, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, TR Diamond
I've been with SWA since Herb but I have been flying more and more with Spirit, Frontier, and JetBlue as Southwest's prices have soared with few decent sales. I'm on a Spirit trip now and continue to be impressed with improvements to their aircraft and service. Too bad Southwest has priced itself so high with the occasional exception of a highly competitive route.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:24 pm

I'm waiting as well. I can normally get fares AUS-SJC for $129 each way, and I've been looking every day for 3 months and they haven't dropped below $170.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I know some travelers who have flown Spirit and would beg to give Southwest an extra $50 for their next trip.
I know others who will never go back
Old May 3, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As do I. Insane 4 hour delays seem to be the par on Spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.