Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air buys Virgin America for $2.6 billion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air buys Virgin America for $2.6 billion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by mctrees02
WN headquarters must be doing backflips over the potential to pick up the 2 remaining gates at DAL.

As somebody who lives next-door to DAL and uses VX to the coasts and WN for all other routes, this news really bums me out. WN only runs one DAL-SFO direct route each day (720pm CST departure, 610am PST return) which is a regular trip for me. Post-Wright, I ditched AA for a WN/VX lifestyle but I fear many return trips to DFW are in my future.
I always notice those two Virgin A319's at those gates that NEVER seem to move lol.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by diver858
For the WN Koolaid drinker, competition from a low cost, full service carrier should be a good thing.
This country has a lot of problems, and many of them stem from your view that 'anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot'.

I have no intention of arguing, yet again, the pros and cons of Southwest Airlines. What I absolutely insist upon is that I ( and the plurality of the flying public ) have very good reasons to fly Southwest and that you may not dismiss my intelligence without challenge.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:27 pm

With Southwest having a lot of frequent fliers in California, I wonder if Southwest will start LAX/SFO-SEA, LAX/SFO-FLL/MCO?

It'd put some competitive pressure on those routes and WN also has plans to build FLL and it's large on the MCO side.

There will be a contested battle in California, with a lot of intra-West overlap against WN routes.

Last edited by beyondhere; Apr 4, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lougord99
This country has a lot of problems, and many of them stem from your view that 'anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot'.

I have no intention of arguing, yet again, the pros and cons of Southwest Airlines. What I absolutely insist upon is that I ( and the plurality of the flying public ) have very good reasons to fly Southwest and that you may not dismiss my intelligence without challenge.
Who suggested the term Koolaid drinker is related to intelligence?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...k+the+kool-aid
Never my intent.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
Who suggested the term Koolaid drinker is related to intelligence?
Here's an idea: Trust the readers to discern whose opinion they wish to take seriously. Our readers are just as smart as the writers, and very often smarter. I don't think any of us uncritically accepts any corporate line, nor would any of commit suicide on the request of a charismatic but insane leader.

It works both ways. Ask anyone at Southwest and you will see that they have a very conflicted opinion about FlyerTalkers. That would be true with any airline or hotel company. At first the company sees us as demon customers, then they gradually see that our perspective might have value in some circumstances. They still probably wish we didn't exist!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I was referring to the COMBINED entity; AS has been ramping up intra-California service, creating focus cities in SAN, SJC and SNA, adding VX to the mix should result in increased SFO service.
It's for this reason I think the AS-VX merger will be good for me, as a primarily West Coast flyer. More choices on regional flights up and down the West Coast, soon to be integrated with more mid-cons and transcons.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
2.6 billion seems like they overpaid by a billion, doesn't it?
Yes. I read that the price paid was 90% more than the market cap of 2 weeks ago.

Somebody was wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yes. I read that the price paid was 90% more than the market cap of 2 weeks ago.

Somebody was wrong.
I seem to recall that when Verizon did it's FiOS expansion there where all kinds of naysayers, and the naysaying continues today. The Verizon CEO said something along the lines of, "This is something the company has to do".

Survival is not assured in business, and Alaska's survival as a "boutique" airline was not assured. Alaska needs to get larger to compete more effectively against the legacies and yes, Southwest too.

Last edited by hazelrah; Apr 5, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/04/inve...eal/index.html

This is GREAT news for those of us who have been held hostage by WN when they took over the intra-California market during the last fuel price boom in 2008. Once the deal closes, frequent flyer programs are merged, my only reason to fly WN will be the occasional leisure trip to LAS. The sooner the better.

For the WN Koolaid drinker, competition from a low cost, full service carrier should be a good thing.
It's clear you have an axe to grind, and perhaps justifiably so. Your logical error is to universalize your California experience to other markets.

Other parts of the Southwest network are quite price vibrant, especially DAL from what I gather. Thank heaven for Southwest at MKE to keep the legacy pricing under control.

Hope the Alaska purchase of Virgin works out for you.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Will Alaska move out of DFW or give up the gates at LUV?

Perhaps these could go to Delta?
Look, this is silly. The only thing Delta is ever going to do at DAL is provide expanded beaucoup service to it's hubs, which only serves to solidify it's grasp on its fortress hubs.

That's why the DoT ruled that competition is not served by the gates going to a legacy.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hazelrah
I seem to recall that when Verizon did it's FiOS expansion there where all kinds of naysayers, and the naysaying continues today. The Verizon CEO said something along the lines of, "This is something the company has to do".
Verizon is getting rid of all that. They just sold their non-wireless operations in Los Angeles to Frontier Communications, both landlines and FIOS included. (They may doing it many other places, I dunno, I just know they just transferred me to Frontier Communications this month.) Luckily, Frontier Communications has nothing to do with Frontier Airlines !
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:14 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/04/inve...eal/index.html

This is GREAT news for those of us who have been held hostage by WN when they took over the intra-California market during the last fuel price boom in 2008. Once the deal closes, frequent flyer programs are merged, my only reason to fly WN will be the occasional leisure trip to LAS. The sooner the better.

It depends. "Intra-California" encompasses a variety of different routes. I would be happy, but very surprised, if the combined entity enters the OAK-BUR market, and that's one I fly quite often. So most likely I'll have to continue to fly WN intra-California for some time.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by suranyi
It depends. "Intra-California" encompasses a variety of different routes. I would be happy, but very surprised, if the combined entity enters the OAK-BUR market, and that's one I fly quite often. So most likely I'll have to continue to fly WN intra-California for some time.
Non-story for me. If/when OAK/BUR or OAK/SNA are added, I'll pay more attention.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
WN is becoming the worst airline in the US. I don't know what all the happy ones are smoking... AS-VX merger is the best thing for us west coast people. It keeps WN in check because god knows we need competition on the west coast. I had my A-list, A-Pref and CP not because I like WN but because I didn't have a choice.

WN is constantly late, FAs dress and act unprofessionally. Even the lightest bump in the air cause WN to cease beverage service. I was once on a cross country flight with no more than 30-40 between flights. It was either give up my early boarding or get a drink. I asked for second cup of water onboard but FA said no that they were preparing for landing... we were 40 minutes to landing... On AS, they'd keep serving you until 5-10 minute before landing...

The merger will strengthen AS to fend off the evils of WN. It also gives me more international choices as AS's partners offer many options between LAX, SFO, SEA and PDX.

I am happy to give up A+ for AS Gold.... Also AS services better and healthier snacks than the over salted peanuts. AS is ranked higher than WN for many rightful reasons.

I just hope the cultural difference between AS and VX can be well blended and adjusted.

Last edited by wlau; Apr 7, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by wlau
god knows we need competition on the west coast.
That's for sure. Bring back UA Express, which matched WN's fares and its no change fee policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.