Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New type of inflight offer; should I make a complaint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

I got propositioned by a "lady of the night" mid-flight on WN 3321 from MDW to MSP yesterday.

Basically, after some small talk the young lady seated next to me starts rubbing her hand on my inner thigh and whispered in my ear about how she was new to Minneapolis and did not want to the take the light rail into town at night because she was afraid of getting lost. If I could do her a favor and give her a ride she would give me what ever kind of favor I wanted once we got to her hotel. If I declined and made up something about my GF picking me up, she still tried to get me to reconsider 3x. After the plane landed, I could not wait to get off that aircraft. Talk about awkward!

Has anyone ever something that happen to them before? Should I have told one of the FA's? I was so flustered, I really couldn't think straight. Is it worthwhile to write WN now, if only just to let them know about this passenger? I might have expected such behavior in Spirit but I thought WN attracted a slightly better type of clientele. I guess not.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
It will be your word against hers, risk she will accuse you of attacking her. Tell her you are gay, have HIV, move on.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Who cares? People on here get so worked up over stupid stuff...

What would writing Southwest get you? What would they do? As long as a pax isn't a terrorist, Southwest (or any airline for that matter) doesn't care. I smell pot on planes all the time. A proposition is probably the most benign of criminal activities that airlines help to facilitate...
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by dls25
I got propositioned by a "lady of the night" mid-flight on WN 3321 from MDW to MSP yesterday.

Basically, after some small talk the young lady seated next to me starts rubbing her hand on my inner thigh and whispered in my ear about how she was new to Minneapolis and did not want to the take the light rail into town at night because she was afraid of getting lost. If I could do her a favor and give her a ride she would give me what ever kind of favor I wanted once we got to her hotel. If I declined and made up something about my GF picking me up, she still tried to get me to reconsider 3x. After the plane landed, I could not wait to get off that aircraft. Talk about awkward!

Has anyone ever something that happen to them before? Should I have told one of the FA's? I was so flustered, I really couldn't think straight. Is it worthwhile to write WN now, if only just to let them know about this passenger? I might have expected such behavior in Spirit but I thought WN attracted a slightly better type of clientele. I guess not.
Flustered? Seriously?

From the looks of your profile, you're not an infrequent traveler so it's surprising (at least to me) that something as silly as this has <obviously> rattled you so.

Prior to writing/calling/emailing @SWA HQ, I'm curious to know what you'd like them to do at this juncture? With no assigned seating, YOU would have a better idea as to the name/ID of this individual than the airline would.

As a frequent LAS visitor, I've observed this sort of "working-girl" approach isn't a new thing. Many are quite assertive/aggressive. Irrespective of the venue.

A "NOT interested, get OUT of my face", put your headset on and ignore her should do it. Particularly once you learn to be very direct with your fellow man/woman.

You expect "this behavior" on Spirit but not Southwest? Presumably one or both of them would be flattered How about Delta, American, Allegiant, et al?

I'll avoid calling you names because you were/are apparently truly bothered by this (and we're all friends here), but seriously?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:58 pm

OP, seriously...why start trolling now? If it was one of the FAs, you possibly would have a reason to complain (depending on a number of factors LOL). What a bizarre thread. Hope it dies an early death.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:28 am

Make a complaint about what?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
I'm on the wrong flights.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by schmoove
I'm on the wrong flights.
Simple solution......Start flying Spirit as that type of behavior seems to be "expected" on their flights.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:25 am

I might have taken her up on the offer, depending on what she looked like.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Was the flight completely full? If not, go sit somewhere else. It's open seating, after all. The other alternative is to excuse yourself to the bathroom and tell the FA about the inappropriate behavior. As others have noted WN will not be able to help you after the fact because they do not know who was in each seat. You hardly have a complaint against WN for failing to do something-- how would they know what was going on?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dls25
I got propositioned by a "lady of the night" mid- I might have expected such behavior in Spirit but I thought WN attracted a slightly better type of clientele. I guess not.
Remember in that application you had to fill out when offering to purchase a ticket for a Southwest flight when they ask several pages of questions regarding you in order to determine if you are the type of traveler that Southwest seeks to have as a passenger on their airline?

Oh, you didn't fill out the application? Well, neither did anyone else.

I wonder what the other people were like on the plane. Did they all meet the clientele reputation you expect, or was the flight full of Ladies of the Night?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:37 am

Assuming you're an adult (which presumably you are given the amount of travel it appears you do), deal with situation and move on. Filing a complaint with Southwest? C'mon man.

This seems like a funny anecdote to tell your friends at a party, not something that should have left you flustered and not thinking straight.

I guess everyone has had different exposure to the real world in their lives, but I don't think you should let this bother you, and there's certainly nothing WN is going to do about it.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
I actually do not see where it was established she was a "lady of the night". She did not ask for payment in exchange, unless you are considering the ride payment, for the time at the hotel. Maybe she did not have any money to reimburse the OP for gas, so she was just trying to compensate otherwise. Even possibly, she was just simply hitting on him and using the ride as an excuse to get together.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would also wager that she will be long gone at the end of ride, without providing the expected compensation.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:38 pm

As a woman, if the person next to my had stroked my thigh and propositioned me, I'd consider it sexual harassment. It would make me uncomfortable for the rest of the flight, if I had to sit next to him. So, I'd consider soliciting the flight attendant to help me find an alternative seat, if an empty seat wasn't obviously/readily available. But I wouldn't contemplate writing the airline after the fact (unless they didn't help me when/if asked).

I think men can be victims of sexual harassment too but it often isn't taken as seriously. I think your best bet would've been to give her a firm "No" and "Don't touch me." --and change seats if you can. I do sympathize with you on the uncomfortable situation she put you in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.