Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Co-lead counsel appointed in UA/AA/DL/WN price-fixing case

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id...20160105114445
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The class actions, which were coordinated into an MDL on Oct. 13, allege that United Airlines Inc., Delta Air Lines Inc., American Airlines Inc. and Southwest Airlines Co. fixed prices for domestic airline tickets by limiting the seating capacity on flights. The cases allege antitrust violations under the federal Sherman Act.
Weird. I thought the airlines publicly stated they were limiting capacity to try to make more money. Their lawyers must have told them that such statements and actions were legal. What am I not seeing? Is this just another meretricious lawsuit to extort money from the airlines?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Well, if all 4 of them came up with the same strategy at the same time, something is fishes.

Allow me to predict the outcome, in 2 years the case will be settled with the airlines admitting no wrong doing but will agree to fund a settlement of $40 million, of which the lawyers take half in cash and any one who flew during a certain window will receive a voucher for $10 towards their next flight on your choice of these airlines, after filling out a lengthy claim application and waiting yet another year.

You heard it here first!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
Allow me to predict the outcome, in 2 years the case will be settled with the airlines admitting no wrong doing but will agree to fund a settlement of $40 million, of which the lawyers take half in cash and any one who flew during a certain window will receive a voucher for $10 towards their next flight on your choice of these airlines, after filling out a lengthy claim application and waiting yet another year.

You heard it here first!
I predict a coupon for 20% off certain fare classes, excluding the lowest fares from the deal. More coupons depending on how many trips you bought. Companies who bought travel for employees might be effectively shut out if the compensation goes to the traveler.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Guessing this was filed because of WN/FL cuts in ATL?

Delta taking the 717s makes it um well whatever.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What an absurd case. The plaintiffs attorneys should be sanctioned and stuck with attorneys fees per FRCP Rule 11. There is no factual basis for this action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.