Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Southwest sell food on longer International flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

We are flying from Chicago to Punta Cana in late November. I know Southwest usually doesn't sell any food on flights but didn't no on longer hauls like this one if they sell "something" even if it's candy bars.

It's probably been asked but I searched a few times and can't find anything.

TIA!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by slider34
I know Southwest usually doesn't sell any food on flights but didn't no on longer hauls like this one if they sell "something" even if it's candy bars.

But always allowed to bring your own.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:28 am
Suspended

Nope, standard WN snack service.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slider34
We are flying from Chicago to Punta Cana in late November. I know Southwest usually doesn't sell any food on flights but didn't no on longer hauls like this one if they sell "something" even if it's candy bars.
There's nothing that "long haul" about that flight. It's under 2000 miles. So actually it's a shorter flight than many domestic transcon flights, such as LAX-BWI which Southwest has flown (always with just ordinary snack and drink service).

It doesn't matter that Southwest flies internationally. As long as their fleet is made up of nothing more than 737s, Southwest can't do true "long haul" international flights (on which competition might force them to serve "meals").
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Though I think it is obvious that WN is not going to provide meals just because the flight crosses a quasi boarder, It is a shame the OP is forced to eat some healthy food he can bring from home vs airline rat food
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Not even soup...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Though I think it is obvious that WN is not going to provide meals just because the flight crosses a quasi boarder, It is a shame the OP is forced to eat some healthy food he can bring from home vs airline rat food
No healthy-ish food one could buy at MDW? (I'm not sure if that's where the OP is originating, but that's where the OP's "long" flight takes off from, if it's Southwest flying from Chicago.)

Bringing food from home may not be practical for all, especially if they're connecting to the longer international flight, and already have their carryons filled to the brim. Many people would prefer their food not to be hours old, which it would be if they brought from home onto a connecting flight to then transfer to the international flight and eat it there.

(The OP only mentioned the flight they were asking about; I can't tell from their post or profile if MDW is close to home or not. And, anyway, it's most likely a round trip, and in that case home is nowhere near the other end of the flight!)
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:09 pm

Fresh food for sale on flights 4.5 hours or longer is an industry norm.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Just bring your own snacks. I like to bring liver and onions so all can enjoy the smell.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Plenty of food options in the airport, that's what I did on my flight down to PUJ and had a sit down dinner after my flight coming back. These flights are less than 4 hours, I think unless you have a medical problem anyone can survive with whatever they bring on plus the peanuts/cup of soda WN serves, it's more than what some other airlines serve.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by kettle1
Just bring your own snacks. I like to bring liver and onions so all can enjoy the smell.
Fresh Daily, none better!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I've been able to score several of those 100 cal snack packs on longer flights, and often peanuts as well.

However, the best bet for those leaving DAL for onboard food is still LaMadeliene's, Chik-fil-A, Whataburger or Campisi's. I do NOT like to eat on a crowded flight after everyone arrives, so will often wolf it down before my fellow pax join me onboard. I've noticed that even the exit row stays open a bit longer when onions are on the menu.

Most airports will have some type of acceptable food to last a 4 hour trip, or arrive a bit early. We plan for airport dining when our grandkids join us, and it certainly makes the flight easier.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I've been able to score several of those 100 cal snack packs on longer flights, and often peanuts as well.

However, the best bet for those leaving DAL for onboard food is still LaMadeliene's, Chik-fil-A, Whataburger or Campisi's. I do NOT like to eat on a crowded flight after everyone arrives, so will often wolf it down before my fellow pax join me onboard. I've noticed that even the exit row stays open a bit longer when onions are on the menu.

Most airports will have some type of acceptable food to last a 4 hour trip, or arrive a bit early. We plan for airport dining when our grandkids join us, and it certainly makes the flight easier.
We can only imagine how long the exit row might remain "open" once kettle1 and I break-out the liver to accompany our onions
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:04 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Red face Maybe Worse, Or Better...

Back in day when I used to fly HP (then of course I didn't, then started again, but that's a WHOLE other story)...I would love to pick up sushi at SFO before my SFO>PHX flights. I remember vividly (I guess auditorally actually) hearing passengers in economy complain about the terrible smell emminating from 1st class.

So, not sure if sushi or liver & onion is the worse offender???
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Yum. Bring some durian to go with it too.

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
So, not sure if sushi or liver & onion is the worse offender???
Why on earth would you eat sushi that smelled so bad, it could be smelled from coach?

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Fresh food for sale on flights 4.5 hours or longer is an industry norm.
Whether they stock enough for the flight is a whole different story.

Last edited by tusphotog; Oct 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.