Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does WN cancel flights because they're not full enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does WN cancel flights because they're not full enough?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by liberty805
It sat at the gate, empty, the whole night.)
Maybe.

Unless you work in Dallas, you have no basis in fact for this statement.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Maybe.

Unless you work in Dallas, you have no basis in fact for this statement.
MOST of these statements (guesses) about why flights were cancelled have no basis in fact. Being a passenger on a plane gives you no more expertise in flight dispatch than having your tonsils out makes you a surgeon.

We have NO real idea of what's going on in the background. People freak out when they hear about a weather delay at their airport which is under sunny skies. They don't have a clue if that plane was delayed upline by weather earlier in the day. Or maybe it was held for connecting pax from a flight that was delayed by weather 2000 miles away. All people know is what they see out of their own little window but they think that makes them omniscient.

Also curious how someone could know that a WN plane was only booked to 31 people. Is that information publicly available?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
MOST of these statements (guesses) about why flights were cancelled have no basis in fact. Being a passenger on a plane gives you no more expertise in flight dispatch than having your tonsils out makes you a surgeon.

We have NO real idea of what's going on in the background. People freak out when they hear about a weather delay at their airport which is under sunny skies. They don't have a clue if that plane was delayed upline by weather earlier in the day. Or maybe it was held for connecting pax from a flight that was delayed by weather 2000 miles away. All people know is what they see out of their own little window but they think that makes them omniscient.

Also curious how someone could know that a WN plane was only booked to 31 people. Is that information publicly available?
Specific flight booking info (as far as seats booked/available) is visible for employees on an internal site when they go to "list" for a flight, but the same info isn't available elsewhere to the general public, AFAIK.

As far as your other comments, I agree, and it's interesting that so many people have their own definitive opinions despite only being supported by anecdotal observations and personal experiences. I've explained many times (in various threads) why flights actually get cancelled, including rationales, but it's clear people believe otherwise. That's fine, but I find some of these posts humorous...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:55 pm

I usually ask the GA how full the flight will be and the usually tell me the number of passengers booked. So passengers can find out.

I agree many of the posts claiming proof are not really proof.

The poster above who claimed a flight was canceled because the plane sat at the gate overnight is one.

How long were the passengers delayed?

Is it possible that flight was canceled and passengers accomidated on other flights because that made the plane availible to replace another plane that couldn't get into position because of mechanical or weather problems? Thereby preventing cancellation of a flight or flights affecting hundreds of passengers.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
As far as your other comments, I agree, and it's interesting that so many people have their own definitive opinions despite only being supported by anecdotal observations and personal experiences. I've explained many times (in various threads) why flights actually get cancelled, including rationales, but it's clear people believe otherwise. That's fine, but I find some of these posts humorous...
Me too. In addition to working in the airline industry for a while, I also studied airline economics and management in school.

"My flight is ALWAYS canceled" usually means Flight 1234 was canceled a couple of times when I was scheduled to fly on it. If I really believed it was part of a pattern, I would call/write SW Customer Relations and point out how inconvenient the cancellation of Flight 1234 has been for me. They will forward it to the correct department for review and consideration.

Or we can speculate endlessly on this board, which can lead to fun discussions!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Me too. In addition to working in the airline industry for a while, I also studied airline economics and management in school.

"My flight is ALWAYS canceled" usually means Flight 1234 was canceled a couple of times when I was scheduled to fly on it. If I really believed it was part of a pattern, I would call/write SW Customer Relations and point out how inconvenient the cancellation of Flight 1234 has been for me. They will forward it to the correct department for review and consideration.

Or we can speculate endlessly on this board, which can lead to fun discussions!

Sorry to veer, but-I love to hear that one can study airline management in Uni. Did this go toward your BA plan in B management, or was it a major? Sounds interesting! I'd like to know as someone I know would love to get into something aviation besides crew, ground, ops etc. Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
Sorry to veer, but-I love to hear that one can study airline management in Uni. Did this go toward your BA plan in B management, or was it a major? Sounds interesting! I'd like to know as someone I know would love to get into something aviation besides crew, ground, ops etc. Thanks.
Virtually all management first rose through the ranks as gate/ramp/ops agents then supervisors then asst departmental managers (ramp/ops/customer service) then department managers, assistant station manager, station manager, etc.
Titles vary among airlines. You could have MBA in Airline Management and still have to start at the bottom. Which is as it should be. You don't really learn it until you do it. And having actually done it will give you much more credibility with those whom you manage.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Aug 30, 2015 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.