Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using more than 4 Southwest Gift cards for 1 reservation??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I finally am ready to use 14 Southwest gift cards I have been accumulating over the years. I want to use them on one reservation, but Southwest only allows up to 4 cards to be used at a time.

I am looking for the best option here. I read about buying and canceling tickets, so that the GCs become travel funds (which expire after 1 year). But I was also told that Southwest customer relations can combine gift cards. Unfortunately, every time I call them, I get a busy signal.

Any idea?

Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It is really simple to use 4 of them on a resrvation and then cancel for TTF's. Why do you resist doing that?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

We are a family of 5.
If I book the following four fake trips:
- Dad Trip 1 with 3 GCs
- Dad Trip 2 with 3 GCs
- Dad Trip 3 with 4 GCs
- Dad Trip 4 with 4 GCs

and then cancel, will the travel funds be associated with my name only? And in that case, can I use them for my wife ans kids' tickets?
I read somewhere that the funds are associated with the original traveler.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:14 pm

Honestly, you probably should be booking each person and direction separately anyway - so you shouldn't have any trouble using all fourteen on a single "trip" regardless.
Edit: I don't travel with kids, so I don't know if there's a reason you can't book then alone. If so, I'd probably book the trip in four chunks - Dad+2kids, Mom+1kid, one ways each direction.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
Honestly, you probably should be booking each person and direction separately anyway - so you shouldn't have any trouble using all fourteen on a single "trip" regardless.
Edit: I don't travel with kids, so I don't know if there's a reason you can't book then alone. If so, I'd probably book the trip in four chunks - Dad+2kids, Mom+1kid, one ways each direction.
It's actually worse than I thought: you can only use two GCs per booking...
I ended up booking 5 separate tickets, using 2 GCs per booking. The CSR linked all the tickets so that if one itinerary ends up being changed by Southwest, all the others would automatically follow (i.e., we would not be separated). I still have some GCs left unused, but had to pay about $300 by CC.

I'll think hard next time I want to buy Southwest GCs...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Citislave
I'll think hard next time I want to buy Southwest GCs...
If you look around, you can find variable-load ones (up to $500). I'd cite specific stores, but it seems to vary across different locations of the same chain...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You should have waited a day or two for the best answer.

You don't have to use a credit card, sort of.

Say you have four $50 gift cards and you want to buy a $60 ticket.
Buy any $125 or so ticket with two gift cards and $25 credit card.
Cancel the ticket immediately after specifying refund of the $25.
You now have $100 ticketless funds for this passenger.
Book the $160 fare you want with two gift cards plus your ticketless funds.
You will have $40 leftover on the 4th gift card.

Not so difficult really.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fwoomp
If you look around, you can find variable-load ones (up to $500). I'd cite specific stores, but it seems to vary across different locations of the same chain...
Grocery stores are good for up-to $500 variables.

Even better if you can find one with fuel rewards, like Kroger, which even has a 4x points offer, ending today.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Grocery stores are good for up-to $500 variables.

Even better if you can find one with fuel rewards, like Kroger, which even has a 4x points offer, ending today.
I probably wasn't explicit enough in my previous post. I live near 3 outlets of a drugstore and 3 outlets of a grocery store. Only one outlet of each has variable load SW GCs. I also recently made a run of a different chain of grocery stores NOT near me. Of the four I went to from that chain, only one had SW GCs at all, and they weren't variable load. So what I'm saying is, if you go to one grocery store in a chain and they don't have what you're looking for, don't be discouraged--go ahead and try all the outlets of that chain near you before ruling out the entire chain.

I don't know what the deciding factors are, but whether a store has Southwest gift cards, and what kind, is being determined by something beyond store name on the sign out front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.