Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which Lounge to access if flying Southwest from LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Lounge to access if flying Southwest from LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The problem is the terminals aren't all connected airside. I'd imagine there would be a Amex lounge at LAX if they were connected like DFW.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
The problem is the terminals aren't all connected airside. I'd imagine there would be a Amex lounge at LAX if they were connected like DFW.
There's one side of LAX partially connected airside, and going to (somewhat soon) be connected even more. Unfortunately (relative to this thread), it's the opposite side (T6-T5-T4-TBIT) of LAX from WN's T1.

And it's mostly historical (the T6-T5-T4 tunnel was built long ago, closed for quite a while, and only re-opened recently), except for the T4-TBIT airside passage (which is part of the TBIT reconstruction). So I doubt anyone is going to build a tunnel from T1 to any other terminal, if one wasn't already built decades ago.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
There was a U.S. Air club in that terminal that acted as a defacto Southwest lounge but it's gone now.
Apologies in advance, I know I saw somewhere...but what is in or planned for this space?

I have fond memories of that little club and using my Amex Plat to enter while flying WN.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Apologies in advance, I know I saw somewhere...but what is in or planned for this space?

I have fond memories of that little club and using my Amex Plat to enter while flying WN.
Expansion of Gate 2. T1 has a lot of construction going on right now. Gate 2 is currently not in operation (nor is Gate 1, 3, 3B or 5). All being reconfigured. http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...lines-terminal

Ticketing should be moved to the west side of the terminal (former US Airways area) by Thanksgiving.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's one side of LAX partially connected airside, and going to (somewhat soon) be connected even more. Unfortunately (relative to this thread), it's the opposite side (T6-T5-T4-TBIT) of LAX from WN's T1.

And it's mostly historical (the T6-T5-T4 tunnel was built long ago, closed for quite a while, and only re-opened recently), except for the T4-TBIT airside passage (which is part of the TBIT reconstruction). So I doubt anyone is going to build a tunnel from T1 to any other terminal, if one wasn't already built decades ago.
Basically correct.

The layout of LAX just isnt conducive to airside connections throughout all the terminals.

Once the people mover gets built in the next 1000 years, it'll help get between terminals, but still not going to be airside.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by smmrfld
+1. If you absolutely must access a club, it's likely quicker to walk across the parking area to one of the United Clubs, but PP will no longer work there after mid-May.
My guess is op has pp select, so united would probably be out. If he actually has pp, there still no real benefit to going to any of the lounges within walking distance, may as well just get a beer from the pub and get on the flight.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hiima
My guess is op has pp select, so united would probably be out. If he actually has pp, there still no real benefit to going to any of the lounges within walking distance, may as well just get a beer from the pub and get on the flight.
I have PP as well as membership to United Club to the credit card. So, I have access to maple leaf in terminal 2, virgin america loft in T3 and United club in T7.

I think that should work. The main reason I am thinking about going to the lounge is I might have almost, after my dinner near LAX, am hour and a half to kill. Rather sit in a lounge than get a beer.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:40 am

Bumping up this thread as its related. So I am flying SWA from terminal 1 and wondering if I can access the Maple leaf in Terminal 2 without going through security twice...I have pre-TSA...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Bumping up this thread as its related. So I am flying SWA from terminal 1 and wondering if I can access the Maple leaf in Terminal 2 without going through security twice...I have pre-TSA...
No, T1 is not connected to any other terminal airside. You have to exit and re-enter.

If you are showing up early enough to have time for a lounge, you are doing it wrong. Just my opinion...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by nsx
No, T1 is not connected to any other terminal airside. You have to exit and re-enter.

If you are showing up early enough to have time for a lounge, you are doing it wrong. Just my opinion...
Lol very true. Might as well had to in n out and get a meal
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Some years ago I took a long phone call from someone (an academic?) researching whether it made sense for Southwest to have lounges. At the time the US Airways club at LAX T1 was accessible to me as a United Club member.

I told the researcher that although I used that club from time to time for free, I believed the value of clubs to Southwest passengers was minimal. They would only be needed during IROPS, at which time they would be crushed to the point of uselessness. Under normal conditions you just don't have a long time to hang out at the airport before your flight. I think the researcher was surprised, not being a frequent traveler on nonstop flights.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by FindAWay

It has been converted into restrooms and storage for janitorial materials.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Also I don't know if TSA will let you in to terminal 3 when your flight is at terminal 1.
Do it all the time at other airports. They will usually tell you that you are at the wrong termianl as a courtesy but will let ya through no problem if you tell them you are headed for a lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Also I don't know if TSA will let you in to terminal 3 when your flight is at terminal 1.
I have done it a few times and was asked/told only once that I was in the wrong terminal. I was pretty upfront about it that I need to visit the lounge and they let me in.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I did end up doing exactly this. I had something like 80 or 90 minutes at the airport. Went to the Maple leaf lounge -- had to check security twice, but that wasn't such a big deal. What was really disappointing was the lounge. It's huge, clean and quiet but very little food selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.