Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Guy kicked off WN DAL-MDW flight for wearing shirt with 4-letter word

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guy kicked off WN DAL-MDW flight for wearing shirt with 4-letter word

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by trouble747
Originally Posted by weero
And I hate to defend this boy as he's in all likelihood someone who should be banned from all public transport until he has grown up. But 'offensive' isn't a viable standard for not honouring a contract.
Seems like that would depend entirely on the contract...
We have a Contract of Carriage applicable to this particular instance, of which Section 6(a)(8)(i) includes:

Carrier may refuse to transport, or remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger in any of the circumstances listed below as may be necessary for the comfort or safety of such Passenger or other Passengers and crew members:

(i) Persons whose conduct is or has been known to be disorderly, abusive, offensive, threatening, intimidating, violent, or whose clothing is lewd, obscene, or patently offensive.
This CoC was effective on the date he traveled; but, may not have been when it purchased the ticket. The language may have been the same on the date he purchased the ticket, I just don't happen to have a copy of the prior version handy.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=weero;24600901 In Europe, the majority of people would not care about profane terms on t-shirts.
[/QUOTE]

If we Americans wanted to run our lives like Europeans, we would.

We don't.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Sounds like discrimination to me, and anyone can put or say anything they want.

This is a free country.

Indiana Governor found this out,.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Sounds like discrimination to me, and anyone can put or say anything they want.

This is a free country.

Indiana Governor found this out,.
Not in a private setting. The government can't tell you what to do but private actor a can.

Unless you decline to deal with a protected class which includes more Tha half the population. Poteet ed classes include blacks, Hispanics, the disabled and women. Unfortunately young white guys are not a protected class.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If we Americans wanted to run our lives like Europeans, we would.

We don't.
^^^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by FindAWay
We have a Contract of Carriage applicable to this particular instance, of which Section 6(a)(8)(i) includes:

This CoC was effective on the date he traveled; but, may not have been when it purchased the ticket. The language may have been the same on the date he purchased the ticket, I just don't happen to have a copy of the prior version handy.
The word on his shirt is not obscene (although it may be lewd, a word you didn't bold).

While the First Amendment may not apply here directly, I am surprised at the wide gap between the common understanding and the actual legal principles in those circumstances where the First Amendment does actually apply. For example, consider the Los Angeles Superior Court (a building I visit regularly). A young man, wanting a make a point, wore a t-shirt which said "F_ck the draft" [he wasn't posting on Flyertalk, so it actually said the words]. He got arrested. The U.S. Supreme Court, about 35 years ago, said that anyone who thought that the shirt was inappropriate because it referred to a sexual act was clearly mistaken, because the word was being used in a manner to express his disagreement with the draft. Therefore, it was legal to wear the shirt in the courthouse. Cohen v. California.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by sbrower

The word on his shirt is not obscene (although it may be lewd, a word you didn't bold).

While the First Amendment may not apply here directly, I am surprised at the wide gap between the common understanding and the actual legal principles in those circumstances where the First Amendment does actually apply. For example, consider the Los Angeles Superior Court (a building I visit regularly). A young man, wanting a make a point, wore a t-shirt which said "F_ck the draft" [he wasn't posting on Flyertalk, so it actually said the words]. He got arrested. The U.S. Supreme Court, about 35 years ago, said that anyone who thought that the shirt was inappropriate because it referred to a sexual act was clearly mistaken, because the word was being used in a manner to express his disagreement with the draft. Therefore, it was legal to wear the shirt in the courthouse. Cohen v. California.
The word is obscene.

You're right that the word may also be lewd.

You are conflating the principles of a ruling against a government actor's attempted restrictions of obscenity in a public forum (in the first amendment, not internet, sense) in contravention of the first amendment with the meaning of the word obscene (or lewd).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Not in a private setting. The government can't tell you what to do but private actor a can.

Unless you decline to deal with a protected class which includes more Tha half the population. Poteet ed classes include blacks, Hispanics, the disabled and women. Unfortunately young white guys are not a protected class.
I think you mean "obscene shirt-wearers," which is the only relevant characteristic here. A disabled black woman could be denied service for the same reason!

Originally Posted by FindAWay
The word is obscene.

You're right that the word may also be lewd.
Yeah, I too was confused by that attempted distinction ("obscene" vs. "lewd"). I suppose you could also say "profane" or "vulgar."

Last edited by trouble747; Apr 2, 2015 at 7:07 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:07 am

I think you mean "obscene shirt-wearers," which is the only relevant characteristic here. A disabled black woman could be denied service for the same reason!
No I meant what I wrote. It is fairly common for members of protected classes to claim that 'but for" their status this would not have happened.

Not every bad thing that happens to someone is a result of their race, gender or sexual orientation.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:46 am

No I meant what I wrote. It is fairly common for members of protected classes to claim that 'but for" their status this would not have happened.

Not every bad thing that happens to someone is a result of their race, gender or sexual orientation.
"Fairly common"? I would think that the VAST MAJORITY of "blacks, Hispanics, the disabled and women" do not sue or complain when they are not hired for a job, are passed over for a promotion, or experience some sort of negative circumstance in their life. I would guess what is far more common is the use of some allowable pretext to justify what is actually unlawful discrimination.

By the way: Those protected classes are, among others, "race, color, religion, national origin, sex"--not any particular minority subset of those categories. Title VII also applies to white, non-disabled males.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:06 am

"Fairly common"? I would think that the VAST MAJORITY of "blacks, Hispanics, the disabled and women" do not sue or complain when they are not hired for a job, are passed over for a promotion, or experience some sort of negative circumstance in their life. I would guess what is far more common is the use of some allowable pretext to justify what is actually unlawful discrimination.
I'm sure the vast majority of people discriminated against don't complain or sue.

I'm also sure that some people sue when there has been no discrimination and more claim discrimination sometimes to shield themselves from the consequences of their own actions.

In this case a guy with an attitude apparently claimed he was wronged and then misrepresented the circumstances. possibly on purpose for U Tube or something. That's exactly the kind of attitude that leads to false claims.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:17 am

I'm also sure that some people sue when there has been no discrimination and more claim discrimination sometimes to shield themselves from the consequences of their own actions.
Sure. Misuse of the legal system comes in all forms.

Sometimes unlawful discrimination is suspected, but not provable. Such a feeling could be legitimate. I think sometimes individuals claim discrimination in bad faith, but I don't think it occurs nearly as much as you seemed to suggest. (I also think it's pretty indisputable that subconscious discrimination occurs all the time, which also likely isn't actionable.)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:19 pm

Sometimes unlawful discrimination is suspected, but not provable. Such a feeling could be legitimate. I think sometimes individuals claim discrimination in bad faith, but I don't think it occurs nearly as much as you seemed to suggest. (I also think it's pretty indisputable that subconscious discrimination occurs all the time, which also likely isn't actionable.)
It doesn't need to happen all that often to poison the well.

In corporate settings the HR departments are often so afraid of a discrimination claim that some people get away with all sorts of stuff. They generally know who these people are.

It's probably a small number but they have a disproportionate impact and detract from addressing real problems.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Southwest, you did good!!!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:05 am

It doesn't need to happen all that often to poison the well.

In corporate settings the HR departments are often so afraid of a discrimination claim that some people get away with all sorts of stuff. They generally know who these people are.

It's probably a small number but they have a disproportionate impact and detract from addressing real problems.
Well, real discrimination exists and I think the alternative is worse. These things do happen, though: I had a white male coworker (attorney) who filed a gender discrimination complaint after he was fired. Some people...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.