Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Guy kicked off WN DAL-MDW flight for wearing shirt with 4-letter word

Old Mar 24, 15, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-got-SxSW.html
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:39 am

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
WN is a private actor in a nonpublic forum - they can certain ask the guy to turn his shirt inside-out/put a jacket on, which he refused. The guy seems like an over-entitled prick considering his own video contradicts his description of events.
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Good. So much friggin trash out there...
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:46 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
this is news? anyway good for southwest
Old Mar 24, 15, 11:48 am

Hipster d-bags these days...
Old Mar 24, 15, 12:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A*hole eventually wised up enough though to get home on another flight. I wonder if WN made him go full fare but someone I doubt it...
Old Mar 24, 15, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
"Podolsky cited his 'freedom of speech'"

Obviously this "student" slept through civics class.
Old Mar 24, 15, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Good for the crew. Freedom of speech is not unconditional. Can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater. Can't have little kids that know how to read asking their mom "why does that shirt have a bad word on it?" It's just common sense.

Although you know what they say: Common Sense Isn't.
Old Mar 24, 15, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ohange View Post
Good for the crew. Freedom of speech is not unconditional. Can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater.
You don't even get there. WN is not the government. It doesn't owe anyone "freedom of speech." The First Amendment protects against government intrusions into speech, not private entities.
Old Mar 24, 15, 1:51 pm

Freedom of speech means that the government cannot restrict your speech. It doesn't mean a private airline has to allow you on the plane wearing a shirt with an obscene word on it.

.. posted too slow, someone else already pointed this out.

Last edited by betsifur; Mar 30, 15 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 15, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by betsifur View Post
Freedom of speech means that the government cannot restrict your speech. It doesn't mean a private airline has to allow you on the play wearing a shirt with an obscene word on it.

.. posted to slow, someone else already pointed this out.
Twice, in fact (but, it is definitely something worth repeating since it does confuse so many people!):

Originally Posted by FindAWay View Post
WN is a private actor in a nonpublic forum - they can certain ask the guy to turn his shirt inside-out/put a jacket on, which he refused. The guy seems like an over-entitled prick considering his own video contradicts his description of events.
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
You don't even get there. WN is not the government. It doesn't owe anyone "freedom of speech." The First Amendment protects against government intrusions into speech, not private entities.
Whether the requested restriction by WN was a reasonable Time, Place, & Manner prohibition/restriction (I think it would be) is moot as WN is a private actor.
Old Mar 24, 15, 3:31 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Fabulous and good for WN. One wonders why anyone with a brain has any interest in wearing something like this in the first place. Whatever. It would suit me if they banned him for life. As I get older, I have essentially zero patience for idiots. Especially those who encroach on those around them.
Old Mar 24, 15, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sbtinme View Post
Fabulous and good for WN. One wonders why anyone with a brain has any interest in wearing something like this in the first place. Whatever. It would suit me if they banned him for life. As I get older, I have essentially zero patience for idiots. Especially those who encroach on those around them.
I'm questioning the basic assumption of your second sentence...

Mike
Old Mar 25, 15, 8:27 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I thinking Banning for life is too harsh, people do make mistakes, plus he was probably sleep deprived from being at south by southwest
Old Mar 25, 15, 11:40 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
I'm questioning the basic assumption of your second sentence...

Mike
HA! Exactly!!^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: