Search

Anyway to change the form of payment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Anyway to change the form of payment?

I have some Southwest gift cards, but it looks like if I need to cancel the reservation, I will not get a refund to the gift card. So I would like to book my flight with a credit card and when I get near the date of departure and am certain of travel, change the form of payment to the gift card. Is this possible?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I have some Southwest gift cards, but it looks like if I need to cancel the reservation, I will not get a refund to the gift card. So I would like to book my flight with a credit card and when I get near the date of departure and am certain of travel, change the form of payment to the gift card. Is this possible?
Doubtful, but if you were counting on a refund (cash or credit back to the GC), you would have to buy a fully refundable ticket anyway (AT or BS) anyway. The only risk would be a fare increase when you made the switch, likely to be none or small.

If you buy WGA you'll have a credit to use up in a year, its just tied to you. And if you make the switch really close in, you'll pay AT fares or close, likely to be substantially.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Doubtful, but if you were counting on a refund (cash or credit back to the GC), you would have to buy a fully refundable ticket anyway (AT or BS) anyway. The only risk would be a fare increase when you made the switch, likely to be none or small.

If you buy WGA you'll have a credit to use up in a year, its just tied to you. And if you make the switch really close in, you'll pay AT fares or close, likely to be substantially.
Sorry should have mentioned - I will be redeeming some awards.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

I've never tried it but most likely it would be treated as a calculation and repurchase.

If you use awards for the initial purchase you would get them back and could repurchase with gift cards, but there would be no guarantee you could get the same fare.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:41 pm

Sorry should have mentioned - I will be redeeming some awards.
I am not following here but both types of rewards, AT & BS fares are fully refundable going to be subject to the current "price" when you "rebook" (except the 1.0 award). Are you are talking about the $5.60 fee?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are you are talking about the $5.60 fee?
Yes.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:09 pm

Yes.
I personally wouldn't go through the risk & hassle for that amount but if you get to the rebooking time and the award "cost" is the same or less, just cancel refunding the fee to your credit card and rebook.

Although there is something sticking in the back of my mind remembering that some kind of payment can't be used for fees or something similar but I can find it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I personally wouldn't go through the risk & hassle for that amount but if you get to the rebooking time and the award "cost" is the same or less, just cancel refunding the fee to your credit card and rebook.

Although there is something sticking in the back of my mind remembering that some kind of payment can't be used for fees or something similar but I can find it.
I have quite a bit of SW GC and I use SW only for award redemption. You can use GC for these award fees.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think TTFs cannot be used for taxes. Must use fresh CC/GC payment. Not sure, though. Anybody?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I think TTFs cannot be used for taxes. Must use fresh CC/GC payment. Not sure, though. Anybody?
TTFs can be used for flights and taxes. LUV vouchers can't be used for taxes.

Southwest Airlines Acceptable Forms of Payment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.