Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different Companions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Different Companions

So I have my primary "companion" for my companion pass. I plan on taking a trip with her in march, june, august. But I also have a trip in july that I was hoping to bring my brother with me for free. Is there a way to have bookings made for multiple companions at once? I don't necessarily want to wait until after travel with my primary companion before booking a ticket for my brother.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:49 pm

No can do. Only one at a time.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by makryger
So I have my primary "companion" for my companion pass. I plan on taking a trip with her in march, june, august. But I also have a trip in july that I was hoping to bring my brother with me for free. Is there a way to have bookings made for multiple companions at once? I don't necessarily want to wait until after travel with my primary companion before booking a ticket for my brother.
You could just hold his spot on your flight by booking his flight with your points (if you still have some available) and then add him as your companion later. I am doing this strategy for a few of my trips
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Your "primary" companion's August flight will also not be able to be booked until AFTER you switch back to naming her as companion after your brother's July trip. Perhaps book her flight in August using points too?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

That's a reasonable idea. May have to try this. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:28 pm

Book brother on points

To hold his seat... make your usual companions tickets before your brothers. If you are booking additional tickets for your usual companion before your brother's flight (know it might seem complicated) book your usual companion's ticket also in advance to hold their seat... you will cancel these seats once you snag your brother's ticket (or right after you cancel his ticket it his flight is sold out -- happened to us when booking Thanksgiving return flights). Don't forget for a companion ticket it's for ANY class seat... so there has to be ONE seat open to book in ANY class (sorry for caps). So just make sure you've got some extra points to temporarily tie up. They will go right back into your "kitty" or whomever's account you can use (we have multiple family members who have a stash just for this purpose). It's been invaluable for optimizing the companion pass.
Good luck
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:30 pm

One more thing

Reason you book your usual companion's ticket for use after your brothers as a regular ticket in their name is cause if you did it as a companion... as soon as you add your brother as your companion the other individual's free flight will automatically be cancelled. You don't want to lose out on their seat.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:18 pm

Location: I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.
Programs: WN
Also, remember that by switching from your CP to your brother and back you have used 2 changes...you will only have one left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.