Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CNBC: Southwest Fined $1.6M For MDW Tarmac Hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Corporate reax:

While we are disappointed that the government would seek additional money, after the enormous penalties imposed on Southwest by Mother Nature during the January 2014 winter storms, we nonetheless appreciate the Department of Transportation giving Southwest credit for the substantial and costly remedial steps the airline voluntarily took before this consent order was issued." - Mike Van de Ven, Southwest COO
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Corporate reax:
While we are disappointed that the government would seek additional money, after the enormous penalties imposed on Southwest by Mother Nature during the January 2014 winter storms, we nonetheless appreciate the Department of Transportation giving Southwest credit for the substantial and costly remedial steps the airline voluntarily took before this consent order was issued." - Mike Van de Ven, Southwest COO
It figures airline blames weather for their own actions
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
So much for the claims by the Southwest haters that the Feds allow them to get away with everything and pull strings as necessary to ensure that WN gets what WN wants.

Obviously I'm a Southwest fan but hopefully this fine will be a kick in the pants to get the operational affairs back in order. The hubris expressed by Southwest management that they can do no wrong really wears thin after a while.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:49 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...dway/21813581/
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:41 pm

I heard this on the news on my way home from work today.

My takeaway from it was Holy Moly.....the fed actually thinks anything up to 3 hours stranded on the tarmac is ok????

Seriously, talk about testing patience. Last time this happened they also imposed the seatbelt requirement and there were ALOT of unhappy pax that needed to us the bathroom.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:50 pm

I heard this on the news on my way home from work today.

My takeaway from it was Holy Moly.....the fed actually thinks anything up to 3 hours stranded on the tarmac is ok????

Seriously, talk about testing patience. Last time this happened they also imposed the seatbelt requirement and there were ALOT of unhappy pax that needed to us the bathroom.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Good to see strict enforcement as that sends the right message to everyone. $100,000 per flight seems pretty steep for 4 hour delay, but that's maybe $700 per passenger? Too bad the money doesn't go to compensate the real victims.

Sorry to see WN spanked as the poster child when historically others have been worse offenders. But I guess they got the message.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
What a joke. Southwest was 'fined' $1.6 million, but they only have to pay $600,000. :
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...115-story.html

Southwest will have to pay just $600,000 of the total fine, according to the order. It was credited for compensation it gave to passengers and $431,000 for improvements it made at 32 airports. And $300,000 of the fine is due only if it violates the order by having more tarmac delays within a year or fails to pay.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CDKing
It figures airline blames weather for their own actions
Yeah, no one who blames them!! They can't do that. Unacceptable!!! Those passengers had it right to leave from the entire aircraft. There is no reason to do it.

Good riddance to Southwest Airlines!!!!!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mdurette
3 for domestic and I believe 4 for international.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Good to see strict enforcement as that sends the right message to everyone. $100,000 per flight seems pretty steep for 4 hour delay, but that's maybe $700 per passenger? Too bad the money doesn't go to compensate the real victims.

Its completely up to DOT discretion. This fine is actually a slap on the wrist. DOT can assess up to $27,500 per passenger as the penalty. They have fined other carriers as well. This was just the biggest by a few hundred thousand. Here is article on $1.1 million on UA from the earlier days of the tarmac delay rules
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
$600k is a drop in the bucket. The DOT should fine a percentage of that day's revenue if they really want to affect carriers. Or require printed checks to be handed to each deplaning passenger.

This MDW delay was a result of 150 rampers calling off work the same day (union sick-in action). WN failed to respond accordingly and flew their full schedule, with upwards of 30 planes waiting for gates at times. Someone at dispatch obviously did not feel empowered enough to black out MDW to arrivals or to put their own traffic mgmt delays in place upstrean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.