Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

WiFi Question

Is it possible to use one A List Preferred account for wifi on 2 different flights at the same time or does it kick one or the other off? The system does allow multiple devices like a phone and laptop to be logged in on the same plane right? Just wondering about different planes.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I've never tried to use WiFi on 2 flights at the same time to test this…
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I've never tried to use WiFi on 2 flights at the same time to test this
Well I mean sharing the account with a friend or family member.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:23 pm

It works. I have shared my account with people on my plane before while connected.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:53 pm

My wife has used multiple devices on same flight. I read in a blog post you could use it on more than one flight at the same time. Seems like a bug. The system should verify if the passenger is actually on the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Ok so 1 account, multiple devices, same flight seems to work. Anyone verified 1 account, different flights at the same time? Guessing there is no type of restriction or check in place.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
The URL that gets requested during the A+ sign in process includes your name, flight number, so assume that they can tie your login to your RR account.

Posts above point to the fact that it is not locked down such that you can only log on during a flight you are on. But the capability is there to lock it down. While it might work today, I wouldn't count on it always being this way.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by unfrequent_flyer
Well I mean sharing the account with a friend or family member.
It does pose and interesting question- as a member getting free wifi, does SW restrict how you (as the member) use it?

If you are traveling as a family on the same aircraft and you logged along with devices for your spouse or children it wouldn't be an issue. But what if your spouse is on a different flight at the same time?

There could be an issue with abuse like giving access to a bunch of co-workers at a company for bulk travel so at some point SW would figure it out.

I was joking around with my first reply, but I can see this is an interesting topic.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

There could be an issue with abuse like giving access to a bunch of co-workers at a company for bulk travel so at some point SW would figure it out.
True. I know $8 isn't really that big of deal, but from what I read the wifi on SW is pretty bad/slow and disconnects quite a bit. My friend is A List Preferred, although he will be flying at the same time, different flight. He thinks it will boot him off his wifi session if I use his.

I was joking around with my first reply, but I can see this is an interesting topic.
I figured

Last edited by unfrequent_flyer; Jan 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:04 pm

Right now, the system appears to verify that a user is A-List Preferred. In order to do anything more, Southwest would need to share itinerary information, in near real-time, with Row 44. Given WN's IT track record, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Right now, the system appears to verify that a user is A-List Preferred. In order to do anything more, Southwest would need to share itinerary information, in near real-time, with Row 44. Given WN's IT track record, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequent_flyer
Thanks for the info.
FYI, that's really just my opinion... For what its worth.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
They could also do authorization by checking the flight manifest against the login or by checking against the travelers RR account.

But I agree it seems beyond where Southwest is willing to go.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They could also do authorization by checking the flight manifest against the login or by checking against the travelers RR account.

But I agree it seems beyond where Southwest is willing to go.
Even disregarding WN's somewhat "limited" IT proficiency, both of those methods would be problematic, for the reason I mentioned earlier, and in IRROPS. To me, I just don't see it happening.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
They are pretty darned strict about CP and whether the Member is on the flight. It seems that this may be easier than one thinks, particularly in the aftermath as Row 44 and WN settle up accounts. I doubt Row 44 lets A-list Preferred ride the system for nothing and that there is some compensation.

Is this cause for account termination? Maybe. I would think one would get a warning first.

All qualifying A-List Preferred Members will receive a 100% earning bonus on base points earned from qualifying Southwest Airlines flights, access to the Dedicated A-List Preferred Member Phone Line, Priority Standby, and Free Inflight WiFi (WiFi-enabled planes only).
Sounds to me like it is just for Members. Giving someone your log in may not sit will if they find out. You family and friends on other flights did not earn the perk. You do not have the right to give it away. If you can do this and have a clear conscience, I am not going to try to stop you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.