Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Weirdest item you've checked/seen checked on SWA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weirdest item you've checked/seen checked on SWA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Did they let that trimmer on with those blades?

For me, they remove a plastic knife or a screwdriver with a 3" blade. Buncha clowns.

And yes, I was once trying to bring back some beer cheese from LEX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_cheese_(spread)) and they stole it, no doubt to be consumed later.
I was wondering the same thing. Definitely a dangerous item. Even though the blades were wrapped what it is to stop someone from taking the wrapping off the blades as soon as the are through the checkpoint? A friend of mine had a keychain and there was an old bullet with a hole drilled in the top that he was using as a keychain charm and the TSA required him to remove it from his keychain and confiscated it, so I am surprised they would let a trimmer go through.

Doesn't surprise me at all about the cheese spread. Last year I bought some of the cookie butter spread at Trader Joe in LA and it's a thick spread like Peanut Butter, not a liquid, and the TSA employee at LAX Terminal 5, insisted it was a liquid and not a solid. I wasn't in the mood to go back and check my bag and wait on it after a long flight for a $3 item and told them just to keep it and I'm sure it found a new home in the TSA employees cupboard or breakroom instead of the trash can
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by morigianna
This is why TSA hates me

yes that is an extra large suitcase full of "sticks" with a heavy tree trimmer.
I have also brought a huge bag of "rocks" (crystals) and sand in suitcases.
Once it was a whole suitcase of yarn.

Coming back from gramma's is always an adventure.

Going out- carry on full of cheese, fruit and a tens unit..... did you know that cheese sometimes shows up as C-4 on an xray?
Fine... since no one else is asking, I'll bite.

Why are you packing sticks in a suitcase? Is there a shortage of trees and bushes where you live?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm sure some very interesting stuff gets checked through and from MDW memorial day weekend when IML occurs and in and out of OAK and SFO the last weekend of September when Folsom Street fair happens in San Fran LOL.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Doesn't surprise me at all about the cheese spread....I'm sure it found a new home in the TSA employees cupboard or breakroom instead of the trash can
Yeah, it would really be a crying shame if next time I try to take cheese spread through security they confiscate it and it unfortunately had accidentally been contaminated with phenolphthalein.

Someone might get a case of the runs he would never forget.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Did they let that trimmer on with those blades?
That is a checked bag.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, OW
Our neighbor from Reno brought over an entire table saw disassembled in his luggage for his second home here in Fiji. He LOVES his table saw and enjoys making furniture with it!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
How many parts did he have left over after reassembling?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:17 pm

Red face trimmer & sticks- why

the trimmer and "sticks" were a checked bag but tsa still opened it and was having a fit- LOL they kept tring to say they were a "plant" - it was tulsa airport.

My grandmother grows trees at her house I can't grow in Ca. She was selling the house and it was my last chance to get the wood I needed for making wands. So I bought a trimmer and a suitcase at the vetran thrift store and trimmed trees before she moved.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
... it was my last chance to get the wood I needed for making wands.
Sounds like something you could sell at a Harry Potter convention.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm sure some very interesting stuff gets checked through and from MDW memorial day weekend when IML occurs and in and out of OAK and SFO the last weekend of September when Folsom Street fair happens in San Fran LOL.
Oh Yes, I'm sure those events could be lots of fun for TSA agents with stuff going to and fro... Would be fun to find a flight that would be sure to have lots of bags full of FUN stuff ...

I could imagine a Medical/Dental trade show could be fun as well.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:53 pm

the trimmer and "sticks" were a checked bag but tsa still opened it and was having a fit- LOL they kept tring to say they were a "plant" - it was tulsa airport.

My grandmother grows trees at her house I can't grow in Ca. She was selling the house and it was my last chance to get the wood I needed for making wands. So I bought a trimmer and a suitcase at the vetran thrift store and trimmed trees before she moved.
What kind of wands are you making? Some of that wood looks like Aspen or Birch, but those don't grow in OK.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:05 pm

So why would TSA care about a plant in your luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.