FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Weirdest item you've checked/seen checked on SWA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1642825-weirdest-item-youve-checked-seen-checked-swa.html)

jco613 Jan 4, 2015 8:38 pm

Strangest item you've checked/seen checked on SWA?

OK Folks, since bags don't necessarily fly free on other airlines, I'll raise my hand and say I've taken advantage of the extra allowance a bit. Over the years, I've checked a hand truck (for boxes), a satellite radio (in the box, multiple times), and multiple boxes for my many moves. I also checked my backpack on a short day trip because I was too lazy to carry it with me...

Let's see what others have checked or seen checked on their WN flights...

KelseyR Jan 4, 2015 10:47 pm

Two cases of Bud Light duct taped together, presumably to count as just one checked bag.

NextTrip Jan 4, 2015 10:52 pm

I saw someone checking in two suitcases duct taped together to count as one bag.

InkUnderNails Jan 5, 2015 5:40 am

Can we include PAX?

jco613 Jan 5, 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by KelseyR (Post 24102674)
Two cases of Bud Light duct taped together, presumably to count as just one checked bag.

Hope they weren't previously cold!

ray1111 Jan 5, 2015 7:00 am

A six-pack of Altbier that I couldn't resist buying after a tour of a craft brewery just before my flight. The WN staff at BWI graciously found a box and packing material for me to make sure it wasn't damaged (or consumed).

alggag Jan 5, 2015 8:34 am

A bundle of broomsticks that had been taped together although I can't remember for certain whether that was on HP or WN.

cglass Jan 5, 2015 11:11 am

a rocking chair

many years ago, as a favor for a friend in exchange for ride to the airport, i checked a rocking chair, in a box, with lots of bubble wrap.

it had to be 3' x 3' x 5'. it wasn't too heavy.

on a nonstop redeye from LAX to PHL.

slipped the redcap a twenty to make sure there wasn't an issue.

the ticket counter gal didn't even blink.

KelseyR Jan 5, 2015 11:18 am

I checked a golf umbrella once, as my only checked item. It was a party favor at a company party. Lady at ticket counter was totally unfazed, just grabbed a ski bag and tied it up. She said I wasn't the first!

texashoser Jan 5, 2015 11:23 am

Let's include carry-on as well.

Haven't ever seen anything extremely odd, either in checked or carry-on. But, yes, I've seen several small backpacks come around the baggage carousel and I was like, ...? Perhaps they had three items...

alggag Jan 5, 2015 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser (Post 24105542)
Let's include carry-on as well.

Haven't ever seen anything extremely odd, either in checked or carry-on. But, yes, I've seen several small backpacks come around the baggage carousel and I was like, ...? Perhaps they had three items...

I had to check my backpack a few months ago when we were about to go through the security checkpoint at MDW and my girlfriend realized that she had been holding on to a plastic bag full of jams and other liquid items that we both had somehow totally overlooked when we had initially checked the luggage. Fortunately we were relatively early for a change so I had time to go back and check my backpack (after removing my iPad and car and house keys of course).

Worst part is that we basically had the same thing happen at EYW two days before WN closed the station but the TSA agent was nice enough (that is, smart enough) to let us through after a brief lecture about making an exception.

pharmalady Jan 5, 2015 1:09 pm

Kitchen stools that were bubble wrapped.

ETStar Jan 5, 2015 1:35 pm

A freshly slaughtered and skinned sheep wrapped in large black garbage bag and put in a suitcase. The mobile slaughter-man had arrived to the house at break of dawn.

derelict Jan 5, 2015 2:17 pm

I once put a 40lb bag of dog food in each of my 2 suitcases. They were on sale and bought for a friend I was visiting on a day trip...

swaluvr Jan 5, 2015 2:25 pm

63 pounds of buttercream icing, fondant, cake boards, and cake decorating tools for my son's wedding cake in Las Vegas.

As carry on, 8 layers of cake [ranging from 14x14x2 to 6x6x2] carefully packed in custom boxes, that fit in the overhead bin.

The final 4 tier cake was created in a HGVC [the units behind the Flamingo] condo kitchen over 3 days and then transported by cab to the Palazzo.