Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Weirdest item you've checked/seen checked on SWA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:12 am

I once checked two boxes of freshly-dug potatoes. I grew up on a farm and was selling them at my destination to help pay for the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:35 am

From the "Passenger Shaming" Facebook page. Might not be WN but I thought it was funny anyway.

Last edited by Nirvana91; Jan 6, 2015 at 8:37 am Reason: crediting source
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: US,UA
dumbest thing i EVER checked

it was my brother's 40th birthday and all he wanted was the chinese chicken salad from rascal's in redondo beach. the key ingredient is the dressing, so i picked it up to take it when i visited him in kansas city. then i realized it would have to be checked. it literally was a 4"x4"x4" box.

even worse, i had zero status with US at the time, and they actually charged me $25 to check it. the agent said there really was nothing she could do about it. she did slap a priority tag on it though. which just made the shame that much worse when it was the first item off the carosel.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nirvana91

From the "Passenger Shaming" Facebook page. Might not be WN but I thought it was funny anyway.
Great!

I have one of those in my backyard, but it's smaller and made of solid concrete. I can barely shift it. So the one you picture must be styrofoam or something.

This thread reminds me of the classic "Seinfeld" bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jPCyW8Msyo
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM - Platinum. Southwest A-list preferred. Hilton Diamond (10+ years)
Checked: In Dallas during the mosquito plagues all the stores were selling pinion wood. It smells amazing when burned and is a natural bug repellent. I bought the biggest duffel I could find, and stuffed 50#'s of chopped pinion wood in it. No one said a word, and there was no TSA bag slip inside. When we use our fire pit we still throw a piece or two on each time.

Carryon: Was flying to LAX for the weekend to attend a friends house warming. They are German, and there is a specialty marinated meat that they are huge fans of. It takes 24 + hours to marinate, so I made 20#+'s of it and home to rest overnight, wrapped it up tightly in aluminum foil and walked through TSA with enough raw steaks to feed everyone at the gate!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by DougieDugDug
Checked: In Dallas during the mosquito plagues all the stores were selling pinion wood. It smells amazing when burned and is a natural bug repellent. I bought the biggest duffel I could find, and stuffed 50#'s of chopped pinion wood in it. No one said a word, and there was no TSA bag slip inside. When we use our fire pit we still throw a piece or two on each time.
Pinion pine has a great smell. Like Christmas!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by Nirvana91

Yeah, I brought three or four of those back from Easter Island... But not on WN.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Carry on - on a DEN-MDW flight a few years back on Valentine's Day, a guy boarded the plane with one of those oversized heart-shaped helium balloons. Must have been 3 feet wide and barely fit down the aisle. He said it was for his girlfriend he was going to visit in Chicago. The crew offered to take it and store it in the aft galley for him during the flight. Upon landing the crew brought him the saddest looking mostly deflated oversized heart-shaped helium balloon presumably due to cabin pressurization during flight. He was crushed. I couldn't help to think that someone should have told him that these types of things are available for purchase in Chicago too. Kind of surprised the crew even allowed it as a carry on.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Before 9-11 and TSA---I saw a guy carry a crankshaft from a 6 cylinder engine on board a Western Airlines 707. Of course it did not fit (and was too heavy, no doubt) in the overhead, so the crew stowed it in the galley.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by bsaurabh
A magazine! Seriously why couldn't the passenger just carry it with him? I was so confused when I saw this magazine on the baggage claim belt
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth
Carry on - on a DEN-MDW flight a few years back on Valentine's Day, a guy boarded the plane with one of those oversized heart-shaped helium balloons. Must have been 3 feet wide and barely fit down the aisle. He said it was for his girlfriend he was going to visit in Chicago. The crew offered to take it and store it in the aft galley for him during the flight. Upon landing the crew brought him the saddest looking mostly deflated oversized heart-shaped helium balloon presumably due to cabin pressurization during flight. He was crushed. I couldn't help to think that someone should have told him that these types of things are available for purchase in Chicago too. Kind of surprised the crew even allowed it as a carry on.
Lol. I saw those Mickey clear balloons once coming back from Disney World when boarding. Don't remember seeing it when deplaning.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bsaurabh
A magazine! Seriously why couldn't the passenger just carry it with him?
I guess that depends on the caliber of the magazine.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

On my way to Las Vegas on Southwest, the woman in front of me in the security line was about ready to collect her roller bag off the back end of the x-ray belt when a TSA screener explained to her the x-ray operator wanted to take another look at the bag at a different angle and had requested a re-run through the x-ray machine.

The screener grabbed the bag and walked back up to the front of the x-ray machine. When the screener got about 20 feet away, the passenger barked out indignantly, for the whole checkpoint to hear, "It's only my sex toys!" To which the TSA screener relayed loudly to the x-ray operator, "It's only her sex toys!"

The one person that seemed embarrassed was the female x-ray operator.

I later learned AVN Novelty Expo was about to start in Las Vegas and the woman with the bag in question must have been an exhibitor, traveling with her wares.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:03 pm

To the OP, great thread! From RSW, carry on. We put a dozen ears of corn and 6 lemons in a carry on suitcase. The tsa guy was training someone and it struck a nerve. He called the other guy over. I need you to look at this. Then the older guy says why are you taking corn on the cob with you? It's December. And when we get home to Buffalo they will be a big hit coming hot off the grill :-)
They were lol
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Parcheesi board/cat tree

This wasn't on WN, but when I was in Spain someone was selling these really unique handmade Parcheesi boards and my dad loves the game so I bought one for him. I carried it on knowing it was too big for the bin but thinking I could put it in the space between my seat and the window and the FA offered to put in the closet on the flight between MAD and ATL and acted like it was one of the most unusual items someone had ever brought on a plane. Between ATL and DTW I was also able to get the FA to put in the closet and he acted like it was the strangest item anyone had ever brought on board as well.

I can't remember if this was on WN or DL, but a long time ago I checked an unassembled cat tree in the original box and the GA acted like that was a strange item to check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.