Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does a full size cello fit in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Would rather not have to check the instrument, nor do I want to purchase an extra ticket. Has anyone had any experience with a cello fitting in the overhead bin for both older and newer aircrafts on WN?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:07 pm

I have no experience, but would be very doubtful. I have a friend who is a cellist and he always buys his instrument a seat.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:53 pm

Would rather not check my carry on luggage just so some selfish person can take up an entire overhead bin.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This is specifically covered in the CoC:

Purchase of Additional Seat.
The purchase of more than one seat for use by a single Passenger is required when necessary to transport large musical instruments or electronic audio/video, medical, or otherwise sensitive equipment unsuitable for Carriage as Checked Baggage, as specified in Article 7
And then there is this from the web site with cellos specifically mentioned:

Musical Instruments

If your instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row.
Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.

Please Note: Some musical instruments (e.g. double bass, cello, etc.) cannot be secured in a seat and must be transported as checked baggage. Oversize or overweight charges may apply.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:26 pm

Too funny. I just double checked with my friend, and he's never checked his cello. He usually flies United, but has taken Southwest several times with the cello in it's hard case strapped into the bulkhead window seat/floor area. YMMV.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Too funny. I just double checked with my friend, and he's never checked his cello. He usually flies United, but has taken Southwest several times with the cello in it's hard case strapped into the bulkhead window seat/floor area. YMMV.
Did he pay for the extra ticket?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:00 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

Get the southwest cc and business so you can get companion pass... I assume you can name a cello as your companion.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Choices, choices, choices - the price we pay for our choices. Just imagine if you had taken up the clarinet instead....
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
delete - this was posted in the wrong thread

Last edited by lougord99; Dec 15, 2014 at 5:57 am
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Get the southwest cc and business so you can get companion pass... I assume you can name a cello as your companion.
No, you can not, although I am a bit confused by the phrase "under any fare promotion."

Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Did he pay for the extra ticket?
Yes of course. He always buys his instrument a seat.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I assume you can name a cello as your companion.
What would the cello's name be?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog
What would the cello's name be?
The convention is 'Cello [your last name]'

However, as other people have stated, this does not work with the Companion Pass on paper. If you showed up to the gate with a cello, and a Companion Pass ticket, it probably be up to the GA to give your cello a seat or force you to check it.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether the cello (or any other item) fits in the OH bin or not is irrelevant. It is whether the item exceeds the dimensions permitted for carry-ons. Thus, the use of the sizer.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Except that Southwest doesn't use sizers.

However, as loose as they are with carry-ons, I doubt they would allow a cello.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.