Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does a full size cello fit in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:50 am

You have to buy a seat for it. You can't use it as a carry on as it far exceeds carry on allowance and you are limited as to which seats in can be placed so you would need preboarding. Buy a seat or buy a hard case and check it. As others have said, those are your options.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by ursine1
A cello will not fit in the overhead bin.

The policy was posted on the previous page. However, the experience of some pax seems to indicate that a 2nd seat can indeed be purchased for the instrument.
The policy itself does not state that a cello will not fit in an overhead bin, it just states that it can be used as the carry-on allowance. Until we have concrete measurements or a proven test of someone attempting to fit a cello in an overhead bin, we do not have proof that a cello will not fit in the overhead bin.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This is specifically covered in the CoC:

And then there is this from the web site with cellos specifically mentioned:

Quote:

Musical Instruments

If your instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row.
Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.

Please Note: Some musical instruments (e.g. double bass, cello, etc.) cannot be secured in a seat and must be transported as checked baggage. Oversize or overweight charges may apply.
So if you have properly purchased the additional seat and pre-board to find that either through passengers or higher-priority pre-boarders have taken the first row, will they be moved to be in compliance with the policy? What if there are three or more passengers' instruments meeting this policy, who gets IDBed?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SCGustafson
The policy itself does not state that a cello will not fit in an overhead bin, it just states that it can be used as the carry-on allowance. Until we have concrete measurements or a proven test of someone attempting to fit a cello in an overhead bin, we do not have proof that a cello will not fit in the overhead bin.
Neither do we have proof that a cello will fit.

My friend, who travels with his cello many times a year, laughed when I asked about trying to fit his instrument into the overhead bin.

In my opinion, a cello will not fit into the overhead bin.

FYI: The policy doesn't state that a cello can be used as the carry on allowance at all; it states that the instrument should be checked.

Last edited by ursine1; Dec 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:45 am

So if you have properly purchased the additional seat and pre-board to find that either through passengers or higher-priority pre-boarders have taken the first row, will they be moved to be in compliance with the policy? What if there are three or more passengers' instruments meeting this policy, who gets IDBed?
Yes. Through passengers can cause conflict, but not higher-priority passengers, since someone buying a 2nd seat for their instrument would pre-board. The only time this becomes an issue is when through passengers in the bulkhead already also have a legitimate need to be there (handicapped, or passenger with a service dog, for example).

In theory, the passenger to be IDB'd is the last to board.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Yes. Through passengers can cause conflict, but not higher-priority passengers, since someone buying a 2nd seat for their instrument would pre-board. The only time this becomes an issue is when through passengers in the bulkhead already also have a legitimate need to be there (handicapped, or passenger with a service dog, for example).

In theory, the passenger to be IDB'd is the last to board.
Just to clarify, in my original post, I said "higher-priority pre-boarders", so they could take the bulkhead by virtue of pre-boarding earlier than the musical instrument owner.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Wait, from INK's post:

"Musical Instruments

If your instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row.
Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.

Please Note: Some musical instruments (e.g. double bass, cello, etc.) cannot be secured in a seat and must be transported as checked baggage. Oversize or overweight charges may apply.
"

I know relying on WN's ability to write plain and straightforward English is problematic, but does this not specifically say cellos must be checked as baggage, and not strapped to a paid-for seat?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:28 pm

Just to clarify, in my original post, I said "higher-priority pre-boarders", so they could take the bulkhead by virtue of pre-boarding earlier than the musical instrument owner.
Oh, sorry… I read that too fast.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Wait, from INK's post:

I know relying on WN's ability to write plain and straightforward English is problematic, but does this not specifically say cellos must be checked as baggage, and not strapped to a paid-for seat?
Correct. However, my friend has successfully purchased an extra seat and then carried on his cello on Southwest multiple times.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:55 pm

My favorite cellist also laughed at the notion of putting a cello overhead. Something to the affect of "Has this person seen a cello and flown in the last 5 years?"
Additionally, it appears to be a case of YMMV with being able to actually use a purchased 2nd seat for a cello. It's not worth the risk of having to check it to her and she has given up traveling with hers, forcing her to borrow one from a friend when she's on the road.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:52 pm

A new rule, effective March 6, 2015, will require airlines to accept carried-on instruments that fit into the overhead bin (not cellos), when space is available, and not force a gate-check simply because it's an instrument and/or takes up larger space.

A Musician’s Lament? Carrying On the Instrument

Full ruling here
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Would rather not have to check the instrument, nor do I want to purchase an extra ticket. Has anyone had any experience with a cello fitting in the overhead bin for both older and newer aircrafts on WN?
No, a full size cello does not fit in an overhead bin.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NextTrip
No, a full size cello does not fit in an overhead bin.
But, if it is not the size of a cello is it not something else? A large viola maybe?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
But, if it is not the size of a cello is it not something else? A large viola maybe?
A mini cello?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NextTrip
A mini cello?
That sounds tasty. Like an Italian entree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.