Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Guy accused of stealing life vests from under WN seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guy accused of stealing life vests from under WN seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ROCAT
This happens surprisengly often, it is the main reason commercial airplanes do not have smoke hoods. The NTSB has had them in their suggestions list for nearly 30 years.
Yet there are surprising few times hoods would have helped and the FAA still doesn't require restraints for infants.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Box5
That would be too much to charge him with attempted murder.

[...]

No, the guy is a cheapskate who has a stealing problem. A hit to the pocketbook, that is the trick, not jail.
You're missing the point. The question is not whether he stole the life vest, it's whether he stole the life vest in a way that didn't make it obvious to the plane inspection crew (between flights) that it was stolen.

It's critical safety equipment. If you steal it, but it's so obvious it's gone they see it right away, that's just theft. But if you steal it, and make it not obvious, and the next person that needs a life vest for their survival finds it's not there, and may die as a result, isn't that then isn't that close to attempted murder???

In other words, it's removing safety equipment in a concealed manner, not theft per se, which is the key factor here. (But his one action did both.)
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Bad enough to steal airline blankets, dinnerware, dishes.... but safety equipment. Talk about a thief with no soul.
Sorry, I consider critical safety equipment more important than dishes, blankets etc where there are always extra/easy to get more. One saves lives, the other is for comfort.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by sdsearch
" it's whether he stole the life vest in a way that didn't make it obvious to the plane inspection crew (between flights) that it was stolen".
I agree, throw the jerk in jail. But who is this inspection crew that checks for life vests between flts? I do not know of any such position at any airline, especially on WN when they try to turn planes in 20-30 mins. Perhaps planes staying overnight get an inspection - I don't think so, everyday. Not life vests. Safety cards get checked by the cabin cleaning crew and replaced if missing.

If the theft of life vests becomes a problem, the airlines could attach a small alarm on them (bought at stores such as Harbor Freight Tools) for about $5.00. If the life vest gets pulled out, the alarm would sound. I know something like this would not be purchased at HFT, but such alarms are available and they work.

Throw this guy in jail. I will now start to look for my life vest on all flts. Unreal! What are people going to steal next? The Defibrillator, FA's bags, Toilet Paper from the Lav?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I already check that there is a life vest on each flight I take, after reading an earlier story about thefts.

What a world we live in, where people are prepared to risk lives like that
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:49 pm

I'm not too concerned.

How likely is a water landing?

A lot of my flights are over the Gulf but if I have long over water flight in the future I'll check.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not too concerned.

How likely is a water landing?

A lot of my flights are over the Gulf but if I have long over water flight in the future I'll check.
If you are on WN, there are not many flts over water.

Make sure to check only on long flts. Safety first. ^
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But if you steal it, and make it not obvious, and the next person that needs a life vest for their survival finds it's not there, and may die as a result, isn't that then isn't that close to attempted murder???
The action and potential consequence are too separated, I think, to qualify as "attempted". I suspect that trying to tie these things together would be thrown out as an abuse of process.

There are adequate legal provisions in the US Special Aircraft Jurisdiction and other federal laws to prosecute the alleged activity as it stands.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Box5
No, the guy is a cheapskate who has a stealing problem. A hit to the pocketbook, that is the trick, not jail.
Monetary fines are important, but no substitute, IMO, for jail terms. The fool needs some time to consider what he did, the liability to which he exposed WN, and the danger of his actions to others. A monetary fine sure, but a good 10 days in the lock up and a some community service time helping those who have had family members die from drowning would be, IMO, more helpful to him and the larger world.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
And I would go for an insane asylum over jail.
It is dangerous to equate selfishness with insanity. It does a disservice to the insane.

Originally Posted by ROCAT
This happens surprisengly often, it is the main reason commercial airplanes do not have smoke hoods. The NTSB has had them in their suggestions list for nearly 30 years.
A main reason, perhaps. But not the main reason. Airlines are always keen to keep the weight down.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
The action and potential consequence are too separated, I think, to qualify as "attempted". I suspect that trying to tie these things together would be thrown out as an abuse of process.

There are adequate legal provisions in the US Special Aircraft Jurisdiction and other federal laws to prosecute the alleged activity as it stands.
Yes, I'm sure I wasn't suggesting the right exact charge, but my point is that the charge should be based on the safety endangerment, not just the theft.

I hear that thing all the time on planes about how it's a violation of federal law to tamper with smoke detectors, etc. Even if not announced by the crew every time, I presume it's also a violation of federal law to tamper with, destroy, or remove any safety equipment.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, UA 1K, HY GLOBALIST
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Perfect. Punishment fits the crime.
More fitting would be to take him out on a boat about 10 miles offshore and make him jump into the ocean without a lifevest. Tell him to tread water for 5 or 6 hours and then pull him back in.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
If you are on WN, there are not many flts over water.
Not so. Many flight operate on the east and west coast of the US, often flying more than 50nm off shore; additionally there are points over the Great Lakes which are more than 50nm from land. Not to mention flights to Caribbean points and Mexico.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:12 pm

Not so. Many flight operate on the east and west coast of the US, often flying more than 50nm off shore; additionally there are points over the Great Lakes which are more than 50nm from land. Not to mention flights to Caribbean points and Mexico.
How many airliner water landing have there been in the US in the last few years?

I think the last one was the 15 January 2009 US Airways flight that landed in the Hudson River.

As far as I can tell the last one before that was 22 October 1962, a Northwest Airlines DC-7C in Sitka Sound.

There were a few accidents back in the 80's where aircraft either over shot or undershot runways and ended up in water.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
How many airliner water landing have there been in the US in the last few years?

I think the last one was the 15 January 2009 US Airways flight that landed in the Hudson River.

As far as I can tell the last one before that was 22 October 1962, a Northwest Airlines DC-7C in Sitka Sound.

There were a few accidents back in the 80's where aircraft either over shot or undershot runways and ended up in water.
Firstly, I was responding to a factual claim - viz. that WN has few over water flights. Secondly, the suggestion that it is okay not to have legally required safety equipment aboard an aircraft just because it isn't frequently used is well... undeserving of further comment.

Last edited by Indelaware; Nov 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Firstly, I was responding to a factual claim - e.g. that WN has few over water flights. Secondly, the suggestion that it is okay not to have legally required safety equipment aboard an aircraft just because it isn't frequently used is well... undeserving of further comment.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.