Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

can I add a known traveler number to an existing reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something

I have a flight tomorrow (have already checked in...) and was hoping I could add my known traveler info to this reservation so that PreCheck might happen. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Call Southwest and ask them to add it for you.

Generally, DIY adding of a TT number to your RR account after-the-fact will *not* add the TT number to existing reservations (and consequently you won't get TSA PRE on existing reservations).

The SWA reservations folks are accustomed to this drill and it only takes a minute or two for them to add the number and work their magic.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

I was in a similar situation when I first received my KTN. Had two existing reservations and called WN to get them added to my reservations and profile. Checked my boarding pass day before flight and it didn't appear. Called WN, had them drop the number and re-add (as others have said to do), but it still didn't work.

Same deal for second existing reservation.

Many here have said that you should get it if you add the number after the fact, but it didn't work for me. Tried every work around and spent time talking to the WN folks on the phone... to no avail.

Only starting getting precheck for reservations booked after adding the KTN to my WN profile.

Maybe you'll have better luck.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Make sure the information you gave for your KTN is EXACTLY the same as the information (address, etc.) on your WN acct. If it is not, then change the information on the WN acct to match the KTN info.

If it is different, you'll almost never get the TSA Pre.

Somehow I know about this problem.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
I called WN reservations and had them do the drop/add and now my BP (at least for the outbound) has the happy green and blue precheck icon. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker
I called WN reservations and had them do the drop/add and now my BP (at least for the outbound) has the happy green and blue precheck icon. Thanks.
^^^
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I called WN and asked them to add it to the 20+ reservations I hold (as an A+ with companion pass). Said they would, but were not really promising what the effect would be.

I am still batting about 80% pre-check, about the same as before I had a Global Entry number.

YMMV
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by hiker72
I was in a similar situation when I first received my KTN. Had two existing reservations and called WN to get them added to my reservations and profile. Checked my boarding pass day before flight and it didn't appear. Called WN, had them drop the number and re-add (as others have said to do), but it still didn't work.
Ditto here, had my final GE interview the day before I had a flight on B6 (but > 24 hours). Got the approval, entered the KTN into my itinerary at JetBlue.com, and nada. Tried the same, on the advice of folks here at FT-- called, "un-checked in," and re-checked in. Nothing...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN
I just added my new number last night to three existing flight reservations I have booked for the next two weeks by calling WN CS. I had to change my middle initial on the reservation to my full middle name so it would match the Pre check record. Otherwise it won't work. The CS rep did it to each flight while I stayed on the phone with her. I will know tomorrow if it works when I print my boarding pass for the first flight on Saturday.

Last edited by darrenpb; Oct 2, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dlaue
I called WN and asked them to add it to the 20+ reservations I hold (as an A+ with companion pass). Said they would, but were not really promising what the effect would be.

I am still batting about 80% pre-check, about the same as before I had a Global Entry number.

YMMV
No pre-check this morning at LAX for my flight to SMF.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darrenpb
I just added my new number last night to three existing flight reservations I have booked for the next two weeks by calling WN CS. I had to change my middle initial on the reservation to my full middle name so it would match the Pre check record. Otherwise it won't work. The CS rep did it to each flight while I stayed on the phone with her. I will know tomorrow if it works when I print my boarding pass for the first flight on Saturday.
Please report back on your experience either way. Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Please report back on your experience either way. Thanks.
Just checked in for tomorrow's flight. "TSA PRE" appears in the top left corner of the boarding pass.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by darrenpb
Just checked in for tomorrow's flight. "TSA PRE" appears in the top left corner of the boarding pass.
^^^ Just like it's supposed to work!

Make sure you get your RR account-stored name updated to exactly match your Know Traveler record (i.e., either Global Entry or TSA PreCheck). This should make it work "automatically" going down the road with future bookings (even though nothing is guaranteed).
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Plt, Hyatt Plt
maybe I am missing something obvious, but if I have global entry and I bring my card to the TSA line, regardless or not whether I have Pre Check on my pass, why won't TSA let Global Entry cardholders into the Pre Check line?
Do they do this at other places where I see you can access the Pre Check Line if you have your military CAC card? does your Global Entry give you access too? Why not?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by zaccaggie
maybe I am missing something obvious, but if I have global entry and I bring my card to the TSA line, regardless or not whether I have Pre Check on my pass, why won't TSA let Global Entry cardholders into the Pre Check line?
Do they do this at other places where I see you can access the Pre Check Line if you have your military CAC card? does your Global Entry give you access too? Why not?
1. Because them's the rules.
2. No
3. See #1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.