Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Southwest: Planning KCI's future already is underway

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...al%29&page=all
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
There was this article in the WSJ yesterday about the aircraft in Williston, ND ... I found this comment interesting in particular:
Now there are seats for about 120 people. But the total restroom count is far from adequate: five stalls and one urinal. Lines at the bathroom are common.
Five stalls and a urinal for 120 people is palatial compared to the gate areas in MCI.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Beckles
There was this article in the WSJ yesterday about the aircraft in Williston, ND ... I found this comment interesting in particular:Five stalls and a urinal for 120 people is palatial compared to the gate areas in MCI.
That is sooooo true, it might be time for some port-a-potty's at MCI. Gotta be a way to add some without waiting for a new terminal. I wonder if the BBQ restaurant upstairs (Pork & Pickle?) has any...
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
That is sooooo true, it might be time for some port-a-potty's at MCI. Gotta be a way to add some without waiting for a new terminal. I wonder if the BBQ restaurant upstairs (Pork & Pickle?) has any...
No it does not. Pretty cramped up there. Good eats though. Not on the order of AB's or OG's but not bad.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
No, but the 'new' one they put in upstairs of the Delta gate area has a bathroom (because it's where the Delta CRC was, so the bathroom already existed).
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:31 pm

But fear not...Sylvester has a plan to make it all better.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by steved5480
Greaaaatt, 10 years from now when I'm done flying through there. But OTOH, I never seen a region build and construct their roads, buildings and shopping plazas as fast as the greater Kansas City area, especially Overland Park. They do things right there...
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
He does, the problem is the vocal opposition to the planned new terminal and the referendum that says a vote is required to build a new terminal (which my understanding is the City doesn't believe is actually legally binding).
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
He does, the problem is the vocal opposition to the planned new terminal and the referendum that says a vote is required to build a new terminal (which my understanding is the City doesn't believe is actually legally binding).
I believe you're quite correct on all counts.

Add to that the fact that although the official metro area consists of 110+/- municipalities scattered across 9 counties in parts of two states, the KCMO corporate city limits extend into parts of 4 of those counties. Only the voters that live in/are registered vote in KCMO get to vote, even though well less than than 50% of the local pax emplaned at MCI actually live in KCMO.

I'm certain there are places that are a bigger political mess, hut you may have to search around a bit.

Last edited by steved5480; Aug 3, 2014 at 11:25 pm
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ElectricAve
I'm not in the airport industry, but I am an infrastructure engineer so I can tell you that people ALWAYS seem to think retrofits should some how be tons cheaper than new construction. In reality retrofitting something of this scale could wind up being more expensive than tearing it down and building something new (especially since there would need to be 2 existing terminals vs one new one). They also couldn't retrofit the current ones while they are still in service without forcing all airlines to move temporarily to a different terminal. New construction would be done in the location of the unused terminal A.

Almost the entire interior of the current terminals would need to be redone to change the security setup to something more desirable. I obviously haven't checked the financial estimates for accuracy...but the number being through around is $500 million just modernize the behind-the-scenes stuff (electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc).
I think you answered your own question. In the case of MCI, there's an existing Terminal A that is currently unused. Couldn't you retrofit that, then move from B to A, then retrofit B? Seems to me an empty retrofit vs. an empty demo and rebuild would cost out.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think you answered your own question. In the case of MCI, there's an existing Terminal A that is currently unused. Couldn't you retrofit that, then move from B to A, then retrofit B? Seems to me an empty retrofit vs. an empty demo and rebuild would cost out.
The existing terminals are too small to cost-effectively retrofit. Say you have a 40 year old 1,000 square foot house that needs renovations and you want a 3,000 square foot house that is up to date, do you think it's cheaper to 'retrofit' the 40 year old square foot house, or just tear it down and build a new one?

A few weeks ago I noticed Terminal B had developed a couple of sinkholes in the roadway near DL baggage claim. I was told by a Blue Bus driver they fixed the first one and it was more complex and expensive than they thought and they ran out of money before they could fix the second one ... haven't been back since then, hope they find the money before I fly in and out of Terminal B next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.