Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA's standing in exit row during boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 10:01 pm

Welcome to FT. Going over what's been said numerous times:

A1-15 reserved for Business Select and people who've paid $40 to get into unused spots in those numbers
A-list Preferred
A-list
People who've bought EarlyBird checkin, with Anytime fares based on time of EBCI purchase
Other EBCI buyers, based on time of EBCI purchase
People who've checked in 24 hours before the first flight on their itinerary, so people connecting A-B-C have a head start on people originating at B. These are in order of time of online checkin.

That, based on memory, gives the basics on how the numbers are determined. For how people actually board (if the rules are followed), add that people who are authorized to preboard go before A1, and families with children under 5, if they didn't get A passes, board between groups A and B.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by rove312

A1-15 reserved for Business Select and people who've paid $40 to get into unused spots in those numbers
A-list Preferred
A-list
People who've bought EarlyBird checkin, with Anytime fares based on time of EBCI purchase
People who've checked in 24 hours before the first flight on their itinerary, so people connecting A-B-C have a head start on people originating at B. These are in order of time of online checkin.

That, based on memory, gives the basics on how the numbers are determined. For how people actually board (if the rules are followed), add that people who are authorized to preboard go before A1, and families with children under 5, if they didn't get A passes, board between groups A and B.
Thanks for the information!
Old May 15, 2013, 11:09 pm

I was on a flight previously where an FA was standing in the exit row I was sitting at (had window seat), and another individual was sitting in the aisle. Not a single person boarding the flight decided to take the middle exit row seat with the flight attendant standing in front of it. I'd never seen that before...it was to a leisure destination full of inexperienced flyers, but I was still shocked.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
I was on a flight previously where an FA was standing in the exit row I was sitting at (had window seat), and another individual was sitting in the aisle. Not a single person boarding the flight decided to take the middle exit row seat with the flight attendant standing in front of it. I'd never seen that before...it was to a leisure destination full of inexperienced flyers, but I was still shocked.
Odd that you find it unusual. I find this to be the case quite frequently.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by JeffAdams
How is your boarding number determined for Southwest? Is this based on your status w/ the rapids reward program or strictly check-in time?
It's assigned alphabetically by middle name.

Old May 16, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Well, it is still a middle seat. Albeit the best middle seat, especially on a fuller flight. Sometimes I'll grab it early on if I know its going to be a full flight, usually to the disdain of the aisle and window persons...
Old May 16, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

A1-15 reserved for Business Select and people who've paid $40 to get into unused spots in those numbers..... etc.

Pretty good, but not complete. It is likely I will miss one or more but I will attempt this anyway. The boarding order is as follows:

1. People already on the plane or throughs.
1a. On a long stop, throughs that got off the plane
1b. All of the throughs for an equipment change.
2. Preboards which includes:
2a. People needing extra time to board due to physical limitations
2b. People that lie to get the Blue Sleeve
2c. COS
2d. UM's
2e. Certain LEO's
2f. Newspeople with large camera equipment
2g. People with cellos or other large musical instruments
2h. Jump seat passengers
3. Business select

4. People that paid the $40 to jump between A List preferred and BS

5. People that jump the line between BS and A+ and are not stopped by OA

6. A-list Preferred

7. A-List
6a-7a Notable exception: SEB's.
8. Early Birds
8a. Notable exception 1: Family boarding between A60 and B1
8b. Notable exception 2: A list that bought last minute holding a dreaded C, between A60 and B1
8c. Notable exception 3: Any low number person with a short connection that gets there after their number would have boarded.
9. All remainder now board in number order.

10. VDB's waiting to VDB that get a seat anyway and have to board.

11. Stand-bys

Last edited by InkUnderNails; May 17, 2013 at 8:42 am Reason: Minor typo
Old May 16, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Pretty complete list! Nice job.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
*golf clap*
Old May 29, 2014, 9:27 pm

A-list Preferred
A-list

Question - Is the order based on EBCI time of purchase, or the Confirmation Date of the corresponding ticket, or whichever is later? I had to add a middle name to a passenger. Confirmation # is the same, but the Confirmation Date (on the email) changed. (from March-when I bought the tix; to May-when I made the change).

I suppose I just moved down the line for ECBI, right? I would like to think it is based on time of EBCI purchase...

Last edited by Sargenca; May 29, 2014 at 9:47 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sargenca
Question - Is the order based on EBCI time of purchase, or the Confirmation Date of the corresponding ticket, or whichever is later? I had to add a middle name to a passenger. Confirmation # is the same, but the Confirmation Date (on the email) changed. (from March-when I bought the tix; to May-when I made the change).

I suppose I just moved down the line for ECBI, right? I would like to think it is based on time of EBCI purchase...
Allegedly, EBCI is based on the date/time stamp of the original EBCI purchase.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
WN considers load factors to be proprietary information ( as do all airlines ). You are not going to find out that number before boarding.
You can find out at the airport. I usually ask how full the flight is when I get to the gate. No one has ever refused to tell me.

Also many airlines have seating charts on their website and you can find out how many seats are currently assigned. Airtran has them for example. It's not completely accurate, since paid passengers without seat assignments don't show but you can get good idea.

Southwest is particularly bad about providing information to passengers. Just look at how hard is is to find any information about your travel on their website.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The question specifically stated 'before arriving to the airport' and you know how unreliable seat charts are for load factors.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
The question specifically stated 'before arriving to the airport' and you know how unreliable seat charts are for load factors.
The comment I quoted said "before boarding" but yes the Original Question did say before getting to the airport.

You can also call and ask. I don't know Southwest's policy but Airtran would give you a general answer on the number of seats remaining.

When I want to take advantage of Airtran's same day free standby, I always call and ask availability. Sometimes the answers are vague sometimes they are very precise. But Since I have an assigned seat I don't really care that much.

Why are seat charts unreliable for load factors? They are not perfect but I can usually tell pretty well how full a flight will be.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:58 pm

Like an earlier post, ask how full? A non-specific question is better. Don't ask how many open seats are there. Consider making an ops agent at your home airport your new BFF. I recall one clown that would bring pastries to schmooze cuz he wanted to pre-board. Usually worked until the gate staff figured out he was a certified jerk. Southwest has always hired folks that respond to someone with good people skills, at least in Austin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.