Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by lougord99
As an aside, how do you read your bar code?
You can go to one of the barcode decoders online. There's also an app for iPhones, but I never got that to work properly. I used to decode my AS and DL ones with an online pdf reader. I've stopped doing it since the TSA-PRE designation always means I get three beeps.

I didn't think there was a need to decode the barcodes after they started printing TSA-PRE on the BPs?
Old May 19, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PLT
But I'm curious. You are describing a behavior/situation that we are unfamiliar with. Are you saying that AA will print 'TSA PRE' on your boarding pass, but that sometimes that designation is not in the bar code even if it is printed on the boarding pass?

I don't think any of us are saying that WN doesn't have the same situation. I just don't think anyone here actually reads their bar codes.

As an aside, how do you read your bar code?
It's possible, yes, but a lot of the circumstances under which it happens are unlikely to be found on Southwest. There can be mismatches between what a mobile and paper BP indicate, if a partner airline prints a BP for you instead of AA, etc.

The Manatee Works scanner app is a popular one to read printed BPs (PDF417 barcode format), and I like to use NeoReader to read screenshots of my mobile BPs (Aztec format). On AA, the 104th character will indicate the number of beeps you'll receive (3 for LLL, 0 if not eligible) -- very easy to spot once you know where to look.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:36 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
DH and I are both A-. Whenever we fly together, I go as his companion on a CP. I wish the PRE designation would be the same for both of us when we fly together.
Out of 6 flights:
1 flight--we both had PRE
1 flight--he did and I didn't
2 flights--I had PRE and he didn't.
2 flights--we both didn't have it.

I am 1 ahead of him so far. On his most recent flight on BS--he didn't get PRE, but I did.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dc2
DH and I are both A-. Whenever we fly together, I go as his companion on a CP. I wish the PRE designation would be the same for both of us when we fly together.
Out of 6 flights:
1 flight--we both had PRE
1 flight--he did and I didn't
2 flights--I had PRE and he didn't.
2 flights--we both didn't have it.

I am 1 ahead of him so far. On his most recent flight on BS--he didn't get PRE, but I did.
You may wish that it worked like that, but the program is supposed to be random. It's working as designed.

To get better odds at receiving it on every flight, sign up for the PreCheck program through TSA or GE/NEXUS/SENTRI.
Old May 23, 2014, 3:37 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You may wish that it worked like that, but the program is supposed to be random. It's working as designed.
If the algorithm accounted for folks flying together, then it would make sense to me. Having one member of the party (from the same household) deemed "trustworthy" and the other one not doesn't make any rational sense. Or, one person deemed "trustworthy" 50% of the time. (Or, 33% of the time). It really should be an all or nothing type situation.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Why???

You don't see the advantage of RANDOMLY getting a larger number of people through security more quickly?
Old May 23, 2014, 8:28 pm

Why???

You don't see the advantage of RANDOMLY getting a larger number of people through security more quickly?
If TSA were interested in getting a larger number of people through Pre, they would take the information that they have collected through their own Secure Flight database and figure out for the last 20 years I have flown between a few locations and been cleared by more than one Federal Agency. The overwhelming stupidity of the bureaucratic collective never ceases to amaze me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.