Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN FA just got approves to Hawaii & near-international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN FA just got approves to Hawaii & near-international flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
The map is trying to use the manageable size to show the route without to have a wild map as the disctance between Hawaii and mainland is almost the same distance of west coast to east coast, thus not suitable for this computer screen. By move the Hawaii on the map in southwest of US state it is better fitted to many home computer screen and also shows the detailed mainland routes.
[Note to self: It is really hard to write a humorous post that works. Quit trying.]
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
[Note to self: It is really hard to write a humorous post that works. Quit trying.]
Not to worry, I was amused.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
+ 1

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
+ 1
To the "it's really hard" or "quit trying?" Please don't say both. My feelings, as miniscule as they are, will be hurt.

[Somebody, please help me stop!]
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:57 pm

To the "it's really hard" or "quit trying?" Please don't say both. My feelings, as miniscule as they are, will be hurt.

Don't stop, Ink!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

I was feeling your pain at being misinterpreted.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
I was feeling your pain at being misinterpreted.
Whew! That makes me feel better. I was in a particularly jovial mood this weekend and posted three times in various forums in what I thought were obvious humor and/or sarcasm. Well, not so obvious for everyone. All three got serious replies.

Internet humor is tough.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Me thinks that Hawaii inter-island might be a good use for any -500s still in the fleet.
Actually, as Aloha discovered, the CFM56 engine is not very good at the kind of operation that Hawaii interisland service entails. That's why they dumped their 737-300s (or were they 400s? I forget) while keeping the 737-200 until the end.

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Chuckle. Boeing must have had one h*** of a salesman offering one h*** of a deal to get Herb to buy those 500s in the first place!
When WN bought the -500s, there was no other 737 with the range needed to fly some of the longer domestic routes. The 737-300 had shorter legs, and the -700 wasn't even on the drawing board yet.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Here is what they say:
2. Hawaiian air needs the competition, please do inter-island.
Apparently the authors of those comments haven't heard that WN is quitting short-haul routes left and right. I have a hard time seeing the current WN having any interest in those routes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
Spoke to a FA this week about Hawaii and she said that they are flying the 700 series and not the 800 series planes to Hawaii from mainland because of fuel economy. Hmmm that doesn't make any sense does it?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Every airline labor contract rule change grants an opportunity for the work group to demand more - some times a lot more. (Certainly a big change to the WN route network can mean more nights away from home and family so there are meaningful concerns.)
Not sure if there will be overnights. AA's LAX-Hawaii flights are turns out and back same day for FA's
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by MrMan
Not sure if there will be overnights. AA's LAX-Hawaii flights are turns out and back same day for FA's
And this is a great example of the difference between AA's FA contract and ours. We cannot be scheduled a day that long (although Irregular ops can cause a day that long or longer). If we do this route as a turn it will be a different crew on the return.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by Toan
Spoke to a FA this week about Hawaii and she said that they are flying the 700 series and not the 800 series planes to Hawaii from mainland because of fuel economy. Hmmm that doesn't make any sense does it?
That was an opinion not a fact. We have been given no information on any new routes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:46 pm

A while back I posted that Gary was salivating at the prospect of Hawaii service. I think that is no longer the case, although SWA is saving the 800 carts in case they operate that pig on routes where the carts work. So here are my reasons why Hawaii is not in the cards anytime soon.

1. The 800 is simply not suitable based on performance and the 700 cannot be profitable. The 800 Max will likely be a good solution.

2. Based on the winglet orders and airplane orders on the books, the airline is still in a no-growth model until the Max. This takes into consideration the retirement of the classics which can not go to the desert fast enough.

3. When the hoopla came out that SWA was looking at Hawaii, other carriers jumped in and added service. The market is saturated and is very low profit. SWA historically does not pre-announce market entrys so it could have been a ploy.

4. GK and his boy-wonder VdV are under tremendous pressure from the board to produce acceptable ROIC numbers. This is the reason for the movement to hub and spoke, and the elimination of short haul routes that don't produce the pesos.

5. The Air Tran acquisition is still difficult for the Borg at Love Field to digest, and the Tranny pilots are upset over the 717 sub-lease to Delta.

6. I don't have knowledge, but I suspect that SWA IT is still behind the curve. There is the Tranny stuff, and getting geared up for close-in South America and the islands, etc. The best they can achieve is to pretend to speak like a pirate.

7. The CFO resigned to spend more time with the family. This is always a bad sign that things are not well at the head shed.

8. SWA is still not ready to do ETOPS. The island and close-in international do not require ETOPS. They still cannot provide an electronic flight bag (IPad) to the pilots.

9. Rumors persist about Herb and Gary getting into a tiff about what has happened to the airline. Despite very public denials, this rumor persists as well as rumors about how upset the board is with the Air Tran debacle, the 800 decision, and the new interior, plus the lost revenue opportunity of bag fees...

10. SWA has always been a low rate payer when it comes to labor. But now the pilots have a legacy type contract even though there is not a defined benefit plan for retirement. Their pay is now at the top of the heap. The airline is saddled with legacy style contract for pilots, rampers and other groups. And they refuse to add enough boots on the ground to keep the airplanes on time.

The bottom line is that there is enough on their plate to deal with. Hawaii service is now a pipe dream until the Max comes on board, unless they buy Hawaiian Airlines.

One more thing, Herb always had a very close and warm relationship with Boeing, especially T Wilson. Boeing even loaded up a case of good WA state wine to go with every aircraft delivery. So when Boeing couldn't sell the 500 "T" made HDK an offer he couldn't refuse. Herb didn't really want it, but the deal made economic sense. SWA later backed out on some of options for the 500. The aircraft is like a rocket when it is light
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
8. SWA is still not ready to do ETOPS. The island and close-in international do not require ETOPS. They still cannot provide an electronic flight bag (IPad) to the pilots.
CA-HI doesn't require ETOPS?

Wouldn't buying/leasing older 752's have made better sense, in hindsight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.