Wiki Posts
Search

BS boarding etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by LegalTender
And as you observed, it is often a guarantee of nada:
Business Select is a guarantee that you won't get stuck in a middle seat IME.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
And as you observed, it is often a guarantee of nada:

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Seating on through flights is a crap shoot and there is a good chance that BS buys no advantage. Any more, that is nearly every flight, even many from coastal and near-border airports.
Nice way to pull a quote out of context. My quote was versus A+, not EBCI or regular boarding. If you are regular boarding without status, BS buy a lot. It may not be worth it to everyone, but it has value.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:34 pm

Nice way to pull a quote out of context. My quote was versus A+, not EBCI or regular boarding. If you are regular boarding without status, BS buy a lot. It may not be worth it to everyone, but it has value.
Nice way to walk back a fairly unambiguous statement. And if you have NO status, I would think it less likely the 2x points would matter as much as a cost benefit to BS fare differentials. All of which is on topic.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Nice way to walk back a fairly unambiguous statement. And if you have NO status, I would think it less likely the 2x points would matter as much as a cost benefit to BS fare differentials. All of which is on topic.
INK's rules on purchase of BS (I am A+):
  1. If I am changing flights last minute because my work schedule has gone south, I buy the BS to allow multiple changes and maximum flexibility. I do not exchange the WGA I am holding, I buy a new BS. I will cancel the WGA only after I know I will not be able to use it maintaining its viability. If I cancel, I have the TTF's for another day. The BS can then be cancelled without penalty. If you use WGA funds to buy the BS, the refundability follows the original purchase. With the new BS, I can even book another carrier and know I will get all of my money back.
  2. The points differential between WGA and BS pays itself back somewhere in the neighborhood of WGA at 75% of BS. (Every time I try to do the calculation my brain goes numb, but someone here will know.) When WGA gets over 60%-70% of BS, then I have to start thinking that the BS is the best, particularly when the flexibility may be likely.
  3. Anytime vs BS differential in price almost never covers the point spread, so the comparison is WGA vs BS. In other words, if WGA is not available, buy the BS.
  4. Seating on through flights is a crap shoot and there is a good chance that BS buys no advantage. Any more, that is nearly every flight, even many from coastal and near-border airports.
  5. The free drink is worth at most $10 on a connection, $5 on a NS or direct and $0 on a early morning flight. (OK, that is wrong. I write this on my free drink ticket: "Wild Turkey. Bring in open bottle with a cup of Diet Coke and I will mix it myself." When they bring it and they are out of sight, I take out my empty mini, swap out the cap, drop the full mini in my backpack and act like I am 50ml happier than I was.) I can buy WT Minis for $4, so value is $4/$8. Big whoop. In Kentucky, they sell them even cheaper in six-packs, price unknown because why would I want to.
There is the context. Of 5 reasons to buy or not buy BS, there is only one in which I said there may be no value. And even then it was not a known, just a risk. And it was in a thread about buying BS if one was already A+.

I am not pulling it back. I still stand behind what I said as part of the larger context. I was not talking about non-status purchases.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
There is the context. Of 5 reasons to buy or not buy BS, there is only one in which I said there may be no value. And even then it was not a known, just a risk. And it was in a thread about buying BS if one was already A+.

I am not pulling it back. I still stand behind what I said as part of the larger context. I was not talking about non-status purchases.

++1 ^
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:48 pm

I was not talking about non-status purchases.
I was. And I still find no foundation to claim that "if you are regular boarding without status, BS buy a lot. It may not be worth it to everyone, but it has value." What value?

If non-status flyers were ardently chasing point redemption goals, that might be true. But I tend to think a 2x point offer would appeal to them the least. Obviously, the adult bev can't be the clincher. And it's just as unlikely non-status flyers would be inclined to hand over a couple hundred just to board early.

Especially when, as noted, a guarantee of A 1-15 is a crap shoot.

Citing Gary Kelly in USAToday, BS fares were launched with the expectation they "will generate at least $100 million a year in additional revenue by attracting business travelers willing to spend more for tickets."

Their value to non-status flyers seems fairly baseless.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Sorry if this question has been adressed before; however, a Forum search did not reveal it has, at least recently.

If you are traveling in Business Select and making a connection, what is the boarding etiquette if your connecting flight has already begun boarding when you arrive at the gate?

Can you go directly to the GA and, in a sense, jump in line since your number is going to be lower than anyone boarding at that moment?
I don't see anything wrong with it. If you fly a legacy and are in First Class and economy is already boarding when you get to the gate, there is a separate line you can just use to cut in front of everyone else (or even if you are a higher tier frequent flyer and your upgrade hasn't cleared and they are boarding a higher zone when you get to the gate you can get in the special line and jump ahead of those boarding). You paid a lot of the business select ticket and nothign wrong with getting one of the biggest benefits out of it, especially if it's due to your first plane coming in late.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:18 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I arrive late at the boarding I step right up to the ops agent after showing my BP to the first person in line. Nobody ever complains.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
If I arrive late at the boarding I step right up to the ops agent after showing my BP to the first person in line. Nobody ever complains.
The same would apply to non BS holders. If someone missed their boarding group/spot, they can board at any point past that.

When you get to the gate is up to you.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Sorry if this question has been adressed before; however, a Forum search did not reveal it has, at least recently.

If you are traveling in Business Select and making a connection, what is the boarding etiquette if your connecting flight has already begun boarding when you arrive at the gate?

Can you go directly to the GA and, in a sense, jump in line since your number is going to be lower than anyone boarding at that moment?
Is this even debatable?

If you paid for BS, that means you are entitled to BS privileges. Which means you can board whenever you want. For most people this is as early as possible, so if you miss your original # just walk up to the front and politely interrupt the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.