Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BS boarding etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
BS boarding etiquette

Sorry if this question has been adressed before; however, a Forum search did not reveal it has, at least recently.

If you are traveling in Business Select and making a connection, what is the boarding etiquette if your connecting flight has already begun boarding when you arrive at the gate?

Can you go directly to the GA and, in a sense, jump in line since your number is going to be lower than anyone boarding at that moment?

Last edited by 6P&E; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Can you go directly to the GA and, in a sense, jump in line since your number is going to be higher than anyone barding at that moment?
Yes. Although I would get in the back of the line that is currently boarding.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:06 pm

I would just up to the gate agent and see what they want you to do. Often they will just let you board right then. I have seen lots of people do it and don't feel like its disrespectful or anything (you had a higher boarding number and just got there late). If it causes a high slowdown some people might be mad, but I have never seen that before. Usually the gate agent will just look at your boarding pass and let you on.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
If I arrive late or my connecting flight arrives late, I immediately go to the GA and board. I usually have A30 and below, obviously 15 and below when I'm on a BS ticket. I've never had anyone question it before.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: United Gold
I had a business select ticket one time and landed early enough to get on a previous flight that had already begun boarding. At the gate they printed me out a new ticket which had a C-number, but it also said business select on it. The gate agent walked me to the front of the boarding line (which was at the beginning of the B's).
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
It also helps to look harried and loudly apologize for having to rush since you just arrived via another flight. Everyone will be fine.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I personally have no problem doing this whether BS or otherwise. If my boarding number is close to 30 or 60 often times I'll wait until my "chute" empties out then get up from my seat and board. I don't think I'd have the stones to do it in the middle of a group of 30 passengers boarding the A/C.

Last edited by Dunbar; Aug 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond,Emerald Club EE
This is why the boarding process is crap. Plus people jump all the time and the agents never ask them to wait. I had A26 the other day, guy standing in front of me covering up his card had A 35. Happens almost all the time. Status on SWA has very little value.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by balihai
This is why the boarding process is crap.
Please define "this".
Plus people jump all the time and the agents never ask them to wait.
After my last flight (and I fly very infrequently) I wrote a snail-mail letter to WN to let them know that I appreciated that the agent enforced the boarding order, so I wouldn't say never.
I had A26 the other day, guy standing in front of me covering up his card had A 35. Happens almost all the time. Status on SWA has very little value.
If you saw it, why didn't you point it out? There's nothing like a good public shaming. Why didn't you stand in front of him?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn

If you saw it, why didn't you point it out? There's nothing like a good public shaming. Why didn't you stand in front of him?
^^
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
This is why the boarding process is crap. Plus people jump all the time and the agents never ask them to wait. I had A26 the other day, guy standing in front of me covering up his card had A 35. Happens almost all the time. Status on SWA has very little value.
Worth looking at what easyJet do? Just 3 queues - priority (paid), priority (young children and disabled), everyone else. No numbers, no other confusion.

That said, easyJet, who originally modelled themselves on SWA, will introduce allocated seating next month.

Neil
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
That certainly would be a step backward.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
Generally people are asking each other what their numbers are to make sure they are in the right place.

If you saw the #, you should have asked what # he was and then said "Oh...I should be in front of you" while getting in your numeric place.

No muss no fuss.

J
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is why the boarding process is crap. Plus people jump all the time and the agents never ask them to wait.
I almost never see this in the A20-A35 range on my short-haul flights. OTOH, it happens frequently in the FlyBy lane at OAK, but those people are sent to the regular line. I think they learn, but there are always newbies who choose the short line either hoping it will work or unable to deduce that the line would not be short if everyone were allowed to use it.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's WN. Take care of yourself because nobody else will. Ask the GA and, if someone wants to say something, let them address it tot he GA. If they don't work for the air carrier you are flying, you should care what they think, say or do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.